PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm 
MTAC Technician

Name: Andrea
Aliases: stargazer218
link: My fanfic.net Page
link: My Author Board
link: Tumblr
Quote:
I was pretty irritated at the person who brought their 7 year olds to see the Hunger Games too. Just because it was a young adult book does not mean it's appropriate for all ages! End rant. lol.

Someone did that?? I'm almost 30, and that movie bothered me to watch. It's certainly not appropriate for a 7 year-old! :gah:

Sorry for the rant.... it's one of those "don't mess with Andrea" days at work...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:05 pm 
Junior Field Agent

Title: The One who Eats/Sleeps/Is Lazy
Aliases: SpetsnazAgent2525 (FF.NET)
Yeah, Hunger Games is not a 7 yo movie. Teen and up. It is PG13 ya know.

The Part That Hurts the Most
PG/PG-13
Tim McGee
Ziva David

As of 6/28, Chapter 11 is up on ff.net!
"They are fine McGee. Palmer broke a leg, literally, but the rest of us are fine, just a few scratches."
-Leroy Jethro Gibbs to Tim McGee, Part That Hurts the Most

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I think even the book of The Hunger Games is pretty disturbing in places. I personally wouldn't take friends or relatives under about 15 to the movie, if it's anywhere close to the book. And that's probably the lower end of the age range I'd think it was suitable for.

Tell you what, though, people are strange - I knew people who got very, very aerated over Katniss drugging Peeta late on in that book. She does it to save his life, and moreover this is a book about children being forced to slaughter one another, but it was her putting him to sleep and "taking away his agency" that got some people riled up. Which, in the grand scheme of things when you have these kids brutally murder each other, seemed a very strange thing to get all het up about :inquisitive:

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 pm 
Medical Examiner

Name: Lydia
link: fanfic.net
link: tumblr
fallenangel218 wrote:
Quote:
I was pretty irritated at the person who brought their 7 year olds to see the Hunger Games too. Just because it was a young adult book does not mean it's appropriate for all ages! End rant. lol.

Someone did that?? I'm almost 30, and that movie bothered me to watch. It's certainly not appropriate for a 7 year-old! :gah:

Sorry for the rant.... it's one of those "don't mess with Andrea" days at work...

There was a bunch of little kids when I saw it. I really enjoyed the books, but despite the anti-violence message it was very violent! It bothered me especially because there seem to have been a lot of younger kids who were too immature to understand the message of the books. Like the kids who do the "create your own tribute" stories on ff.net, which I found horrifying. They totally missed the point of the story.

^^Clicky!^^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 pm 
Junior Field Agent

LOL

PG/PG-13
Tim McGee
Ziva David

"They are fine McGee. Palmer broke a leg, literally, but the rest of us are fine, just a few scratches."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:28 pm 
Medical Examiner

Name: Lydia
link: fanfic.net
link: tumblr
I have no idea how they're going to turn the last book into a PG-13 movie. Nope. Not one clue.

^^Clicky!^^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:29 pm 
Junior Field Agent

I think they could. Compared to somethings in 1&2, parts of 3 were tame.

Spoiler:
Unless you mean the traps in the capitol

PG/PG-13
Tim McGee
Ziva David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Team Leader

punkcatknitter wrote:
Like the kids who do the "create your own tribute" stories on ff.net, which I found horrifying. They totally missed the point of the story.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: that's appalling.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Deputy Director

Title: Mistress of McGiva
Name: Sherry
Responding to Sara's post on the first page, it is absolutely possible to write G-rated romance! The majority of what I write doesn't have any sex in it. Most of it I rate either FR13 or FR15, though.

I find it interesting the range of books in the young adult/teen fiction genre. On one end, you have Harry Potter and John Green's books and on the other end you have the Hunger Games books and books dealing with issues like suicide and eating disorders. I know the Harry Potter books get darker as they go on, but yeah, it's interesting how different the ratings even within that genre can be.

Latest story:
Someone Who Understands (FR13, Gibbs & Fornell friendship)

and

The Only Answer (FR13, fluffy McGiva)[/center]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 am 
Senior Field Agent

Name: Linda
Aliases: Moravia, LokiliciouslyYours, Supergluedigits
link: My FF.Net!
Flag: Image
Sorry. I've been on the forum only sporadically, lately, for reasons known by only a few of you. I daresay I got quite a surprise about how some things changed, but that's beside the point, here.

About sex and cursing: I try to avoid that, too, and I believe I quite succeed at writing stories without that. Of course I did write one sex heavy story which I still can't call 'smut' because the sentiment behind the sex was truly genuine: the passion of love! IMO, there was nothing vulgar in that story. Of course, I can understand some (who appear to be a minority, these days) would consider sex as something which stays private and shouldn't be discussed or written about for everyone; not even in fiction.
Besides, I did put in my A/N that this was going to be my first and last. So far, I haven't written anything else in that genre. :jumpgreen:
Oh, and I'd also put up every warning so there was no mistake anyone might read it accidentally.

As to cursing, you'd be really hard put to find that in my stories. Oh, there'll be the rare 'damn'... If even that is too much, then indeed, do not read my stories. ;D I'm just being honest, here.
Of course, I also am inclined to agree with Lia. People in RL enforcement and army (and other jobs) curse a lot! But there's cursing and cursing, and too much of it is rather rude and...unbred?

Now I have more problems with reading slash. Especially since I really can't see the characters I like as thus sexually oriented. So I've stopped reading quite a few authors who used to be my favorites; mostly because the 'normal' stories are getting fewer and far in between and it's getting harder to know if a story will go the slash way or not. Some tend to forget to put up a warning, almost as if it's the most normal thing, these days...

One thing, though. Before I get called a homophobe for not reading slash: I have gay friends - very good friends...and colleagues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Fanfic.net
:clap: very well put Linda, I too have gay friends and work colleagues and to be nicer than straight people

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 am 
Team Leader

I don't think not wanting to read slash is remotely homophobic. If it doesn't appeal to you or fit with how you see the characters, that's entirely understandable.

(Personally, I read slash now and then if a story appeals to me in other ways - but I've only found a couple that I actually enjoyed. So I tend to avoid it. So many stories, so little time, so of course we prioritise those we believe we will enjoy! :))

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 am 
Senior Field Agent

flootzavut wrote:
So many stories, so little time, so of course we prioritise those we believe we will enjoy! :))

And I've never been so behind in my reading as I am at the moment. :thud: The thing is, I don't read when I can't comment, because I write my reviews right after reading a chapter/story when it's still fresh in my head and with being unable to type much, I simply put the reading on the back burner.

Oh man.... :sigh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am 
Director

Just take your time stories ain't goin' anywhere

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 am 
Senior Field Agent

Ah, there's the good thing of being here: we'll always find a good read. :ncis:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 am 
Director's Secretary

Name: Amber
Aliases: ChibiEarth, Kagome
link: FF.net
link: Website
akaeve wrote:
:clap: very well put Linda, I too have gay friends and work colleagues and to be nicer than straight people

I agree with Pat...Linda that is how I feel about slash myself.

If you like it, then write it. I just don't see the characters interacting that way but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump onto someone simply because they write slash. I know some authors that write slash for certain fandoms but detest it another fandom. I don't quite understand why but we're all so different in that some aspects.

Banner and icon by me. Halloween Icon Fanart credit. (Gone)
What You Never Lost (TMNT)/Saying Goodbye (NCIS)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:32 am 
Intel Analyst

Title: I'm a social work professor in Minnesota
Name: sheila, beastmother
The only thing I find concerning in this debate is that, in fanfiction, people often write non-canon pairings. It's part of the creative exploration of what's possible. This is tolerated or accepted. In fact, McGiva, which is non-canonical, is very popular on this site.

However, if the non-canon pairing is same sex, then it is 'not normal'. Slash is essentially a non-canon pairing. The question to ask here is, "Does a McGibbs bother you more than a Zibbs?"

There are few LGBT people on this board, but for those of us who are, it can be hurtful to have same sex pairings be referred to as not normal. It's another reminder of how unsafe the world still is for LGBT people.

Not meant to offend. Just food for thought.

Created by the amazing and talented Ceridwen! Love her work!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:11 am 
Deputy Director

I agree with that, Sheila. It doesn't really offend me so much when people say things like slash isn't normal or whatnot, but it can be frustrating. People use the reasoning that, "That's not how we see the characters on the show," "They're straight!" all this stuff, when you know, sexuality is fluid and just because someone identifies as straight, doesn't mean they've never had gay leanings or that they even ARE straight. There are so many people who don't admit their true sexuality because of the stigma that comes with being gay. So why not allow people to play with that? You don't have to read it if you don't want to, just like you don't have to read any het pairings you don't want. How many times have I heard that McGiva isn't plausible "because they're like brother and sister"? It doesn't stop me from writing them. It usually just makes me laugh, really, because how many guys have pictures of their sister in a bikini on their computer, you know? I guess I'm just saying, just because you don't care for it doesn't mean that other people don't, so there's no need to convince people of how "wrong" it is, no matter what kind of pairing it is.

But I do think Linda maybe just used the wrong word in her post, looking back, because she was likely referring to gen fic, with no pairings at all. I don't think she meant to offend anyone.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am 
Intel Analyst

smackalicious wrote:
I agree with that, Sheila. It doesn't really offend me so much when people say things like slash isn't normal or whatnot, but it can be frustrating. People use the reasoning that, "That's not how we see the characters on the show," "They're straight!" all this stuff, when you know, sexuality is fluid and just because someone identifies as straight, doesn't mean they've never had gay leanings or that they even ARE straight. There are so many people who don't admit their true sexuality because of the stigma that comes with being gay. So why not allow people to play with that? You don't have to read it if you don't want to, just like you don't have to read any het pairings you don't want. How many times have I heard that McGiva isn't plausible "because they're like brother and sister"? It doesn't stop me from writing them. It usually just makes me laugh, really, because how many guys have pictures of their sister in a bikini on their computer, you know? I guess I'm just saying, just because you don't care for it doesn't mean that other people don't, so there's no need to convince people of how "wrong" it is, no matter what kind of pairing it is.

But I do think Linda maybe just used the wrong word in her post, looking back, because she was likely referring to gen fic, with no pairings at all. I don't think she meant to offend anyone.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think there was any intent to offend. I just think we have to be aware of language and how it feels to people. I don't want to upset anybody really. I just hope people will ponder the idea.

I appreciate you talking about the fluidity of sexuality. I am essentially bi and have lived in the LGBT community for the last twenty years, and probably see more LGBT relationships than straight ones. Appreciate you understanding my thoughts. :kisscheek:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am 
Senior Field Agent

Thanks, Sherry. And, no, Sheila: it has never been my intention to offend and maybe I did use the wrong wording (I still can't see what mistake I made in my phasing... :P ).

Besides, I have no clue what the LGBT community is. Maybe I should google for it? I feel like an idiot, now: for having offended someone unintentionally, for being unable to express myself clearly in English and for not knowing what LGBT is. :blush:

Methinks I shouldn't get involved into discussions since I invariably get it all wrong. :thud: :backwards:

Sorryyyy guys....er....girlz.... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 am 
Director's Secretary

Sherry, I definitely don't think that Linda meant it nor did the rest of us mean to come across that way. As always, the majority at times need a reminder to be careful on how we post. Sometimes, I think we don't thoroughly look and see how a post sounds before we post it. I'm sorry if my post appeared to be against slash or anything of that nature. Thanks for letting us know though.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not going to jump onto someone and say, "It's not normal" simply because someone writes slash, het, gen, or whatever. Certain pairings of slash I could actually see being done such as Tibbs or especially McNozzo. The LGBT community has never bothered me and I've never had a problem with people choosing their sexuality or arguments on it. Just like I've never had a problem with Deaf Culture (the deaf community) because many of the people I've met from the community are some of the friendliest people I've met, same with the LGBT community.

Sherry, you mentioned above is the thought of a brother having a picture of his sister in a bikini on his laptop and staring at it. The thought of people actually being into incest is when it crosses the line with me and I wouldn't say anything on it except it grosses me out. I guess the best example of this is the T-Cest from the TMNT community. I know many write it as slash and if the turtles were not related, it would not bother me. Though other writers have written it as incest and that is what grosses me out. Just like Sherry's example of a brother staring at his sister on the laptop.

However, when people include incest and beastulity in their stories is when it things distrub me. Though, let me shut up so we are not taking this topic in a direction we don't need it to go in. The reminder that the slash writers on this forum are minor and still, we need to respect them just as much as the McGee fans needed the reminder that we don't always need to be saying, "McGee this, McGee that."

One thing that detours me is real person fanfiction where they control people's lives. I always say, "I'm not gonna let someone write a fanfic about me personally using the bathroom." I guess some people like reading it, but that is how I view real person fanfiction. I mean, I've seen wrestling fanfiction on FF.net and while it still has real people, it is scripted (I assume?).

A lot of the times with real person fanfiction is the thought of someone making themselves a Mary-Sue simply to insert into someone's life. Maybe not all real person fanfiction is this way but yeah, I still stand by my quote earlier.

Last edited by Kagome on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 am 
Junior Field Agent

McMhuirich wrote:
Thanks, Sherry. And, no, Sheila: it has never been my intention to offend and maybe I did use the wrong wording (I still can't see what mistake I made in my phasing... :P ).

Besides, I have no clue what the LGBT community is. Maybe I should google for it? I feel like an idiot, now: for having offended someone unintentionally, for being unable to express myself clearly in English and for not knowing what LGBT is. :blush:

Methinks I shouldn't get involved into discussions since I invariably get it all wrong. :thud: :backwards:

Sorryyyy guys....er....girlz.... :D

LGBT-Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender I believe.

PG/PG-13
Tim McGee
Ziva David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 am 
Deputy Director

I know Linda didn't mean to offend anyone. :) She was simply saying how frustrating it can be to be reading a story and all of a sudden there's a pairing you aren't expecting. And sometimes, yes, it can be a bit more jarring if it's a slash pairing. For me, I think sudden McGibbs would shock me more than sudden McNozzo (not that I don't like both those pairings), but that's just me, too. If I go into the story knowing that the pairing's going to happen, that's totally different.

And I guess the example I was using with McGiva there was more saying, they aren't actually related and I think people use the "brother-sister" qualifier to justify why they can't see them together. They put that "related" label on them almost as a way to shame people who ship them and make us look like freaks for enjoying it or something. That's probably taking things a bit far, but it bugs me. I see them more as really good friends - best friends, even - more than anything else, if we're talking canon. But that's kinda beside the point.

As far as RPF goes, we don't allow it here, but I personally don't have a huge issue with it, as long as the people writing it realize they're writing fiction and that what they write is likely never going to happen. I've written RPF before, for reality shows. I've never written anything with actors or anything like that, but I have a few pairings I like, I'll admit it. I know they won't happen, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing them together. *shrug*

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am 
Team Leader

Yes, normal versus not normal is unfortunate wording - even only having been around for a little while here, I am sure Linda meant no offence by it, but it's definitely something to watch. Language can wound.

It's funny about the "like brother and sister thing", the thing is, they aren't! I can see how people can get an icky feeling about pairings feeling vaguely incestuous to them, but sometimes it is conflated with being incestuous and hey, it isn't. Durr. Ya know? (Personally, I find Tony/Kate, McGibbs and Gabby feel vaguely incestuous to me, so I rarely find those readable, but I'm not about to stop people from reading and writing it.)

Anyway, yeah, that's weird to me that people use "they're like brother and sister" as a reason to say others shouldn't ship a pairing.

ETA: vaguely related - I also find it weird that people use any frisson between two characters to say their relationship can't be familial. Because they're NOT related, so just because Abby for example flirts with Ducky, Gibbs, sometimes Tony, doesn't automatically mean those relationships cannot be familial. Does that make sense? :inquisitive:

Oh, and I must add - I know I've said this elsewhere - I do love the very few stories I've read that have really made me buy into a relationship that I usually just don't "get". There's one McNozzo fic in particular I've read several times, despite slash not being something I usually enjoy, because the writer manages to make it really convincing and still sooooo in character. And I really love that!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 am 
Intel Analyst

When I say LGBT community, I mean the community where I chose to live. The Pride festival I go to every year. The lesbian roommates i had for ten years. The restaurants I go to. The campaigning for gay marriage. My friends. My colleagues. My family.

I was asking people to think about this from my perspective and the perspective of other LGBT persons. In order to do that, I needed to say something. This isn't about one or two comments. It's about a prevailing attitude. It's been building for me over time. It makes me reluctant to say things about who I am.

This is not about any of you. This is about me and others like me and what it feels like sometimes.

I care about this community, and the support here far out weighs the frustration. I need this community.

Teri has educated about the LDS community. Lia has educated about the Deaf community. Please allow me the same space.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am 
Team Leader

:hug2col: of course, Sheila :kisscheek: language is important, and I think as people wanna write, we should be more aware. It's hard to get out of the mind sets that are accepted as OK, and I think/hope we'd all rather have it pointed out when we, even inadvertently, say something that could wound or make someone feel uncomfortable.

I hope this makes sense, mushy brain again today :shocked:

ETA: Sherry, just saw your post, and I think you nailed it, when people insinuate a pairing is borderline incestuous as if you should be ashamed of writing it - just not OK at all.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 am 
Deputy Director

Sheila, I completely understand. You should feel free to talk about yourself openly here. I can't think of how to phrase what I'm thinking here, so I'm just going to leave it at that. :) Just know that I will always try to make this community open and welcoming to everyone, because I do think that is important.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:48 am 
Intel Analyst

smackalicious wrote:
Sheila, I completely understand. You should feel free to talk about yourself openly here. I can't think of how to phrase what I'm thinking here, so I'm just going to leave it at that. :) Just know that I will always try to make this community open and welcoming to everyone, because I do think that is important.

Appreciate it Sherry and Sarah. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I also agree, Sherry, with your comments about how people make passive digs about pairings like McGiva. Like I can feel McGibbs but not McNozzo, and I have no clue why that is. I just know we should respect where people's romantic leanings take them. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am 
Director's Secretary

Sheila, you are not hurting anyone's feelings, trust me. :yes:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a fan of pairings. People can get crazy... ;D NCIS was simple when I wasn't a fan of pairings in the show because I simply watched for the show itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am 
Team Leader

Kagome wrote:
Sheila, you are not hurting anyone's feelings, trust me. :yes:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a fan of pairings. People can get crazy... ;D NCIS was simple when I wasn't a fan of pairings in the show because I simply watched for the show itself.

^ 100% agree... On both points!

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am 
Senior Field Agent

Thank you, my friends, for defending me.

I've learned once more the true meaning of 'lost in translation'... :-/ Time for me to stop trying to explain my POV for I simply botch it. Just like what happened on FF.net...

:gibbssmack: myself.

Summerbreeze wrote:
McMhuirich wrote:
Besides, I have no clue what the LGBT community is. Maybe I should google for it?

LGBT-Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender I believe.

Thank you, Summerbreeze. :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Field Agent

Remember... A comment that might seem fairly innocuous to you, might seem offensive to another. Like Sheila said, food for thought. These are teachable moments. And seeing as June is coming to a close, which is a special month for LGBT -- especially here in the States, I think this side-discussion (sorry for the hijack, Summerbreeze) is quite opportune.

There are some other points I'd like to raise. Just some things I've noticed. And of course, they are my opinions. Others may not agree...

- Be careful while using the "but I have gay friends" excuse/argument/rationale. Some use it as a buffer before or after saying something borderline offensive (either intentionally or unintentionally). Or it's used to convey that they personally know the struggles facing the community. I love allies. Where would we be without them? But look at it this way... I have Indian friends, but that does not mean I have personal experience feeling what it's like to be a part of the Indian community. I can empathize, for sure, but I cannot truly experience it.

- Be careful when telling someone that you do not read/like slash, you think it's strange, or you don't "see" it (what does that mean?). A new member recently joined the forum; she included in her "hello" post that she likes to read and write slash. About five or six people responded that they specifically do not like/read/write slash -- although a few made a consolatory "but I'll read it if it's good" statement thereafter. Sure, I'll read stories if they're good, too. Do we deliberately seek out bad stories? Sorry, I'm off on a tangent... I'm just saying, if it's not absolutely necessary to say it, don't.

Not a sermon, just a thought!

I really do love this community.

hazelmom wrote:
I was asking people to think about this from my perspective and the perspective of other LGBT persons. In order to do that, I needed to say something. This isn't about one or two comments. It's about a prevailing attitude. It's been building for me over time. It makes me reluctant to say things about who I am.

This is not about any of you. This is about me and others like me and what it feels like sometimes.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

Thank you.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Deputy Director

All of that, Chelsea. :yes:

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Intel Analyst

K9Lasko wrote:
Remember... A comment that might seem fairly innocuous to you, might seem offensive to another. Like Sheila said, food for thought. These are teachable moments. And seeing as June is coming to a close, which is a special month for LGBT -- especially here in the States, I think this side-discussion (sorry for the hijack, Summerbreeze) is quite opportune.

There are some other points I'd like to raise. Just some things I've noticed. And of course, they are my opinions. Others may not agree...

- Be careful while using the "but I have gay friends" excuse/argument/rationale. Some use it as a buffer before or after saying something borderline offensive (either intentionally or unintentionally). Or it's used to convey that they personally know the struggles facing the community. I love allies. Where would we be without them? But look at it this way... I have Indian friends, but that does not mean I have personal experience feeling what it's like to be a part of the Indian community. I can empathize, for sure, but I cannot truly experience it.

- Be careful when telling someone that you do not read/like slash, you think it's strange, or you don't "see" it (what does that mean?). A new member recently joined the forum; she included in her "hello" post that she likes to read and write slash. About five or six people responded that they specifically do not like/read/write slash -- although a few made a consolatory "but I'll read it if it's good" statement thereafter. Sure, I'll read stories if they're good, too. Do we deliberately seek out bad stories? Sorry, I'm off on a tangent... I'm just saying, if it's not absolutely necessary to say it, don't.

Not a sermon, just a thought!

I really do love this community.

hazelmom wrote:

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

Thank you.

No way was I that articulate at your age. :kisscheek:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:00 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Which is why I think it best to not discuss this any further because I notice all I said is misinterpreted for which I really genuinely apologize. I wonder if I even should even be writing tout court... :P

I'm sorry I didn't think what I wrote over for...I don't know how long it would've taken me to make my thoughts on the subject of reading and writing 'slash' clear. It seems it has been going an entirely different road than just plain fanfic writing.

So, now I may yet again have posted something which might be worded wrongly and offensive or whatever. :gah: I just don't know what to do right, anymore! :thud:

I think I've made it quite plain I'm no wordsmith... :wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 pm 
Deputy Director

It's okay, Linda. I think it is one of those subjects where it's hard to really express yourself clearly in a way that someone won't find offensive or off-putting, even if that's not what you meant at all.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:09 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Thank you, Sherry, from the bottom of my heart. :hug2col:

I really REALLY suck at discussions...in a foreign language. :th_uhoh2: Makes me wonder how I ever passed my English exams...because, here, I fail miserably. :inquisitive:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Deputy Director

English is a VERY complicated language, and the fact that you can speak it as well as you do is amazing. I would never be able to speak another language so well.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm 
Intel Analyst

McMhuirich wrote:

I really REALLY suck at discussions...in a foreign language. :th_uhoh2: Makes me wonder how I ever passed my English exams...because, here, I fail miserably. :inquisitive:

It makes sense that it's a language thing for you, but please remember that I am saying is not about you. And BTW, your English is so good, I often forget it's not your first language. This is something I have been feeling for a long time. Please understand that. :hug2col: When I didn't mention names, it was for that express reason.

Chelsea is also expressing things she has felt over the course of time. My intention, and I believe hers, is simply to educate a little and give folks something to think about.

I have to move on. I already I didn't have time to read stories because of my obligations, and here I've been riding this thread all morning. Let's all have a good day! ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:32 pm 
Director

McMhuirich wrote:

I just suck at discussions, never did make it to the debating society, I more say what I think, but then that doesn't win friends and influence people.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm 
Senior Field Agent

hazelmom wrote:
Chelsea is also expressing things she has felt over the course of time. My intention, and I believe hers, is simply to educate a little and give folks something to think about.

Yep.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Broadway Lover
Name: Colleen
Aliases: Oxymoronic Alliteration, BroadwayBookworm
Quote:
Like I can feel McGibbs but not McNozzo, and I have no clue why that is.

See, I'm the exact opposite! I can feel McNozzo, but not McGibbs (though, I think that's mostly because I love the father/son aspect of their relationship too much to see them as lovers).

But I do agree, that regardless of what you ship/don't ship, it's important to be respectful of others feelings. At the end of the day, these are fictional characters and we will all interpret them differently :yes:

~*~Banner by EmyPink~*~

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:13 pm 
Team Leader

K9Lasko wrote:
Remember... A comment that might seem fairly innocuous to you, might seem offensive to another. Like Sheila said, food for thought. These are teachable moments.

Great post, Chels, and especially the bolded bit. If we can listen to and learn from one another, then hopefully it stays a "safe place" and we all become more knowledgable and thoughtful.

I know I said it further up the thread, but even not having been on the NFA long, I'm frequently so impressed by this community. Fandoms can be nuts; outside of here and MHA I've barely dipped my toe into the waters of the NCIS fandom, and 99% of it makes me want to run and hide. I've seldom been in ANY forum where a conversation like this could happen without rapid descent into chaos, never mind a fandom forum. I'm so glad Patsy got me over here.

(Linda, I think your English is amazing. I know for sure I can't express myself so well (never mind writer stories :shocked:) in a language besides my mother tongue.)

And I'm officially so off topic here I couldn't see it with a periscope (couldn't resist the nautical reference :P) so I'm gonna quit rambling. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense :shocked:

ETA:
sondheimmcgeek wrote:
Quote:
Like I can feel McGibbs but not McNozzo, and I have no clue why that is.

See, I'm the exact opposite! I can feel McNozzo, but not McGibbs (though, I think that's mostly because I love the father/son aspect of their relationship too much to see them as lovers).

I'm the same, Colleen, and I think it's the same aspect of the relationship that is why I don't "get" Gabby.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 pm 
Deputy Director

Well, I'm just glad most people feel welcome here. Though that's really just a reflection of the people here in general. :)

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm 
Intel Analyst

smackalicious wrote:
Well, I'm just glad most people feel welcome here. Though that's really just a reflection of the people here in general. :)

Agreed :kisscheek:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 am 
Forensics Specialist

Name: Keri
I couldn't believe how many people brought their children to Lord of the Rings, thinking it had to be a kid's movie because it was about cute hobbits and magic. I can't imagine the nightmares they had.

I'm also not impressed with the adaptation of The Hobbit - the violence in LOTR was one thing, but The Hobbit was a children's book. Please treat it accordingly.

I'm not a swear word or sex-scene lover in stories either. I think like Kagome said, it's about my personal morals and beliefs. Plus I know that because of my Asperger's Syndrome (a mild form of autism), I'm way more sensitive to swear words than I might be normally. I know lots of law enforcement people swear (and I don't get why it's more prevalent in that profession either) but I personally find it refreshing that TV continues to keep the language good on a series. And unfortunately, it's not just fanfic - it's novel writers too. I avoid most fiction authors these days - not because I believe it's a sin to read non-Christian fiction - but because the language and sex scenes get too much.

While we're at it, what the heck is with the amount of gore and dismemberment lately on TV? I get that lots of bodies are found like that in real life, but it's revolting. Some of us just watch TV to escape. And it's like there's this belief that intact corpses make for less interesting murders.

As far as ratings go, I also look a little at the fandom - especially when it comes to violence or violence intensity. What would rate as a PG-13 (or equivalent) for NCIS might be an R for something like Murder She Wrote. In general I call PG-13 what you would see from that show on TV and adjust accordingly. I've never crossed to an R yet, but I've had a couple that I felt like bordered when it came to the intensity, like Screams and Left To Die. And I've got a Hart to Hart fic in the works that would only be PG-13 if I posted it to NCIS, but I'm tempted to rate as an R for the fandom, because it's super heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:53 am 
Forensics Specialist

Name: Keri
One thing I also came up with for violence is to actually break it down in three categories:

1) Violence Itself. This is like shootings, bombings, or anything where we see the act actually happening.

2) Violence Aftermath. This would be like dismembered bodies. Technically we're not seeing any violence onscreen, but I personally find Head Case more disturbing to watch than a shooting-heavy episode like Bete Noire.

3) Violence Intensity. An example is if you look at a James Bond movie. He's shooting bad guys right left and center and blowing things up but really it's not that disturbing. Whereas if you were to watch something like Les Miserables. It has the same amount of shooting, but the violence is more personal. I found it harder to watch that before going to bed without needing something to unwind and get it out of my head. (I love the movie - I just need something lighter to go to sleep on)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 am 
Team Leader

The more I think about this, you know, the more I think the best solution is to have a really, really clear format for ratings and then make sure people stick to it. I think a big part of the issue is that different people find different things acceptable or not (eg violence versus sexuality), which is why saying "suitable for teenagers" for example is simply too vague, and that, on places like ffn especially, people ignore, creatively misinterpret or stretch the guidelines that DO exist. If ratings are vague or open to interpretation, then you will get issues.

I guess in an ideal world, all fiction would be classed in several different ways, so one could avoid one's own personal bugbears.

GNU Terry Pratchett