NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Name: Erica
Aliases: Conuiren, Cerci Dweeb
Thank you for your comments all the way through this story - I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I didn't think that we had any military in our family (other than my Grandad who joined up and served in WWII) so it was a surprise when we found our own war dead last month. I suspect that there isn't a family in Britain (with ancestors who were living in the UK at that time) who don't have someone connected to them who at least fought (if not died) in that war as the numbers who went to fight were phenominal. Add to this that most were civilians who volunteered for the Army and it becomes even more tragic a waste of life.

I think that, by sending Tim to Ancre to visit the grave I'm kind of projecting my own thoughts as I'm unlikely to see the graves of my own ancestors.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:23 pm 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
I'm sure that most people in England have ancestors who fought in one of the World Wars. It's funny how small events can snowball into something that takes over the entire world.

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Name: Linda
Aliases: Moravia, LokiliciouslyYours, Supergluedigits
link: My FF.Net!
Flag: Image
As I'm writing my comment for your final chapter, I'm listening to "I vow to thee, my country" (a favorite of mine which we sang in choir) and my geeky husband is singing it, sitting in front of his computer.

Anyway, I liked this ending. Especially how Tim and Tony both made the trip together to see where Captain McGee had spent the better part of the last year of his life.

You've so very well described Tim's emotions... I could just see him struggle. And then, when he suddenly realized they hadn't brought something...flowers... Picking those poppies and plant them at the grave... Did he know about the symbolism of these...weedy poppies?

The moment he spent, sitting by the tombstone, the talk with that guide (it's heartening to see this man committed to making sure those poor souls are remembered), Tim talking to his great great uncle, Tony's effort to cheer up his friend whose mood was darkening as it was... I think the Captain may be pleased with those two remembering him.

An awesome story which has brought many a tear to my eyes. A moving, bittersweet story, too. It was an emotional journey.

In fact, I'm still eager to learn more about your sweet OC, Captain Timothy Michael McGee. :yes:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 pm 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Tom Brown died The Battle of Passchendaele

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

akaeve wrote:

The picture with the wikipedia entry is one that I've used a couple of times in graphics, and just epitomises the worst of the conditions faced in the first world war. I watched that Big Dig program and saw just how soupy that mud gets when it rains - to have to fight in that would have been horrific.

Do you know where he is commemorated or buried? If you don't you should be able to find it on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:54 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

McMhuirich wrote:
As I'm writing my comment for your final chapter, I'm listening to "I vow to thee, my country" (a favorite of mine which we sang in choir) and my geeky husband is singing it, sitting in front of his computer.

Anyway, I liked this ending. Especially how Tim and Tony both made the trip together to see where Captain McGee had spent the better part of the last year of his life.

You've so very well described Tim's emotions... I could just see him struggle. And then, when he suddenly realized they hadn't brought something...flowers... Picking those poppies and plant them at the grave... Did he know about the symbolism of these...weedy poppies?

The moment he spent, sitting by the tombstone, the talk with that guide (it's heartening to see this man committed to making sure those poor souls are remembered), Tim talking to his great great uncle, Tony's effort to cheer up his friend whose mood was darkening as it was... I think the Captain may be pleased with those two remembering him.

An awesome story which has brought many a tear to my eyes. A moving, bittersweet story, too. It was an emotional journey.

In fact, I'm still eager to learn more about your sweet OC, Captain Timothy Michael McGee. :yes:

I am so glad that you enjoyed this story - it was just as emotional to research and write. I'm glad that the final result hit the mark for you too.

You want more?!?!?! Blimey! what have I started here? ;D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:00 pm 
Senior Field Agent

I used the CWGC to find my two relatives (well, the only ones I know of) but discovered, a little belatedly, this site only works for Commonwealth victims. I found my graves via the In Flanders Fields site which has a Casualty Database that includes Belgian soldiers.

BTW, I hope I didn't mention this before, but did anyone ever watch the two-parter Birdsong?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Ceridwen wrote:
You want more?!?!?! Blimey! what have I started here? ;D

:yes:

Me cruel much? :evillaugh:

But, hey, think positive: you have a whole year ahead! :jumpgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:09 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

As it happens - a bunny all but mauled my fingers off just after I finished the story - so I do actually have something already. I've asked for a new sub forum (which I will also use to store old banners/avatars) so I can post it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:28 pm 
Senior Field Agent

:shocked: :yesyes: :hyper:

Oh, and, I can just see those pesky bunnies nibble at your fingers.

Ha! Seems like I trained them well. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 pm 
Intel Analyst

Title: I'm a social work professor in Minnesota
Name: sheila, beastmother
Wonderful, wonderful story. I love the idea of Tony and McGee going to see the grave in the end. Perfect. You should be very proud of this story, Erica. I thoroughly enjoyed it! :kisscheek: :kisscheek: :kisscheek:

Created by the amazing and talented Ceridwen! Love her work!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:53 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Thank you so much -I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:16 pm 
Probie

Title: serial lurker
What a beautiful story – beautifully researched and beautifully written and emotionally powerful. Heartbreaking as well, but I didn't expect a happy ending, considering the topic.

I think your fictional Captain does a fine job speaking for the real men who lived and died in that era. Thank you for your story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Thank you so much for your comments - it was a difficult story to write at times, I had no real knowledge about the First World War when I started this, and I have learned so much from it. Several of us on this board lost ancestors in the war, although I only found out about mine a little while ago. I never appreciated just how difficult life was for the men who had to spend their days in the trenches, not knowing if they'd live to see another day.

The stoicism of those men shone through in all of the reading that I did. Death was the ever present threat, but they did their best to keep their spirits up and the number of pictures, or film clips that I've seen where the men are smiling and laughing is a testament to their courage and fortitude. I salute them all for that, because I would have crumbled into a puddle of stressed out goo in the face of the horrors that they had to live with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Don't know, but here I was thinking I could post some pics I took today at Menin Gate. I'd hoped to find that 'field' of poppies for you. Alas... No poppies on the banks alongside the Gate. I wonder what The British Legion did with them.

I hope you like them.

I've put them under a spoiler so that I don't take up too much space.

Spoiler:
View near Hooge Krater

Menin Gate - Ypres
The other side of the rampart:
Street level:
Detail of a wall:
Detail of a wreath: I liked the old photograph in this one

I could've taken more and better pics, but we didn't have much time as my son had an appointment, too.

And found this nice little bookshop with quite some paraphernalia... The British Grenadier Bookshop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Thank you for putting those pictures up the number of wreaths and crosses speak volumes - I imagine the RBL had to remove the poppies pretty quickly after the service of remembrance - I guess they're quicker to gather than they are to plant.

I have put up the first part of my little story - but in view of the sad news today, I've not made a general announcement - it's in my odds and ends section.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:43 pm 
Senior Field Agent

I'll go and check it out. :yes:

Yeah... Sad news indeed. She was one of the pillars on NFA. :-/

As for the poppies: I'd so hoped to find those poppies. I was rather disappointed. :sigh:

I did buy some books, though. At that little shop. :yes: Don't know if you have this one: Forgotten Voices of the Great War. And I found (and got myself) Birdsong, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

I don't have Forgotten Voices of the Great War - although I do have Forgotten Voices of the Somme on my Kindle (as yet unread - sort of got pushed out once I got hold of Six Weeks - but I will get around to it) - If it's any good, let me know and I'll download it.

By the way, today 96 years ago, the real Battle of Ancre began - which saw the 10th RDF in action for the first time as part of the 63rd Naval Division.

In the meantime, I'm just off to put up my next chapter...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 am 
Senior Field Agent

Ancre (Beaumont-Hamel at the Somme)...

November 13: the launching of the final act of the Battle of the Somme
November 14: your OC's - Captain McGee's birthday
November 15: SM's birthday (had to put in a reminder of this date, too ;) )
November 18-19: the end of this phase of the Somme (winter)

Oh, and the bookshop didn't have 6 Weeks...

BTW: don't know if you've seen some footage of the battle of the Somme? I think this clip is actually about the July offensive. When the tunnelers (I know I did erroneously call them 'diggers' in one of my previous posts :blush: ) had dug the Hawthorn Mine (and 2 others, La Boisselle and Lochnagar) to be detonated on July 1. 18,000 kg of explosives!

Anyway, this clip with some original footage is to the music of Requiem. Rather appropriate, I should say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

When I picked 14 November as the Captain's birthday - I sort of picked it out of the blue - it wasn't until I was getting to the end of the story that I realised that I'd set it the day after the start of the battle of Ancre (nor did I recall that it was the day before SM's birthday either - believe it or not!)

Pity the shop didn't have Six Weeks - I found it such a good read that I've borrowed it from the library again because I couldn't wait until I got my own copy for Christmas! Needless to say, I haven't told my parents that! =D

I have seen it - but it's always worth a second look (or a third or fourth....) The mine under the Hawthorn Redoubt was detonated 10 minutes before zero hour - giving the Germans plenty of warning (as if 30 minutes pause after the artillery barrage lifted wasn't enough) as to what the British were up to so they were all in place with their guns when the British went over the top - result? Carnage.

On a completely different note - I once performed the Pie Jesu from that Requiem - although I sang the lower part that the boy sings in the video.

I've got to rush off for my Tap lesson now - I will post the next chapter of Precious Things when I get back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 pm 
MTAC Technician

Name: Mad
I have spent the last few days catching up with this story. Erica, it is absolutely wonderful. The research you have done was worth every minute you spent on it because it helped you put the meat on the bones of your own imagination. I loved the way you cut between the two times, having Tony as the bridge between the two was masterful, and kudos for actually getting Tony to read something other than FHM!

Captain McGee’s journal was beautifully written, he really came to life through your writing and I was so sad when he met his almost inevitable end, but pleased that eventually Tim got to pay his respects at the grave of one of the fallen.

Everything about this has been incredibly impressive; both hazelmon (Sheila) and LadyTwyla1 (Marysia) recommended your story to me, and although I’ve returned early to the NFA for the saddest of reasons I’m pleased beyond words that I got the chance to read this sooner rather than later.

Truly stunning work. :clap: :clap:

Banner by the brilliant McSidekick146. Thank you Jennifer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Thank you so much for your comments - I'm glad you found the story. My original intention was to post here over the duration of the Poppy Appeal - with the Epilogue on Armistice Day (because I'm sappy like that!). I was then going to start posting it on the storyboard for you to read but, with the tragic news of Pam's passing, I didn't get around to it.

I really didn't realise how much I would learn while researching this story, or how much that research would effect me. Even while I was on holiday in Devon - every spare moment of down time saw me with my nose in one of the books I was using for research - not least Goodbye to all that (Thanks for the recommendation!) I just couldn't put them down. Three of the books I liked so much I'm having them for Christmas! I read alot of stuff - but it was well worth it, and I'm glad that the time spent reading translated into the final story.

At the moment, I'm posting an original story using the characters from Voices in my Odds and End's forum if you're interested. It's not been researched at all - in fact the premise is rather shakily based on the episode Corporal Punishment from Blackadder Goes Forth (but without the comedy!) but that is what you get when the bunnies attack!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:55 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Amber
Aliases: ChibiEarth, Kagome
link: FF.net
link: Website
Linda pointed me to this story a few months ago and I was finally able to get around to reading a few chapters of it the past few months..

I have to say as a WWII person and someone who loves historical fiction about it especially, it was really nice to be able to start reading this.

The research is fantastic! Well done. :) The characterizations are really amazing as well. :yes:

Look forward to more when I can read a few more chapters. ;D

Banner and icon by me. Halloween Icon Fanart credit. (Gone)
What You Never Lost (TMNT)/Saying Goodbye (NCIS)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Thanks for your comments :kisscheek:

I have always loved reading history books, but have never taken much time to learn about the first world war (although I have watched a good number of programmes about the second world war - if you ever get to see the epic series The World at War which goes into quite a lot of depth about WWII, you should give it a go).

Researching this story really opened my eyes to the horrors of what actually happened, and how it really shouldn't have happened. So many people lost their lives for so little - although it changed the course of European history in a way that reverberates even today nearly 100 years on.

I now have a rather large collection of books on the subject as I still continue to read about the war, even though my story is complete. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and hope you enjoy the rest of the tale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm 
Senior Field Agent

This story may be complete, but the saga isn't done as you've written more stories about your OC. :dancing:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 am 
Mossad Liaison Officer

True indeed - another is just going up now! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm 
Senior Field Agent

What? :shocked: Really? :dancing: :yesyes: Where is it? :hyper:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm 
Director

I must say I did glance at it Erica, and then I went off to read two of my "funny" historical stories.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

I've put it in my odds and ends board, although I really don't think I'm gonna give any historical novelists sleepless nights with it :lol2: . The title is a bit naff, so any suggestions for better ones would be welcome :jumpgreen:

An aside - When we discovered our war dead, the one thing I didn't do was find out exactly how they were related to us - The Simnetts are not that direct, being 1st cousins twice removed to my dad, but Silvester Martin was actually my Great Grandfather on my mother's side (sorry Great Grandad!).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

akaeve wrote:
I must say I did glance at it Erica, and then I went off to read two of my "funny" historical stories.

Oooh! - Which ones are those?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 pm 
Director

Ceridwen wrote:
akaeve wrote:

Oooh! - Which ones are those?

I don't want to embarrass your intelligence, they were more written as comic stories I suppose just for fun, but if you insist I will PM the link

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 am 
Mossad Liaison Officer

If you're okay with me having a gander, I'd love to read them (especially if they're humorous ;D )

To be honest, this little story was originally written only for my own pleasure and I had no intention of posting it. I think I was just in the mood to put something (anything!) up, and it just happened to be sitting on my hard drive winking at me, and at least it's backed up if my computer ever croaks! ;)