All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:46 am 
Senior Field Agent

Title: Native Nebraska NCIS fan
Name: Cookie, Lori
Aliases: tigyr
link: My Story Board stories
link: My Fanfiction.net account
Three Musketeers: a trio fic having three members of the NCIS family finding themselves working together. Is it a case? Something personal? Perhaps an AU situation? Maybe a kid!fic where three are friends/siblings plotting an adventure.

Lifesaver: someone finds himself/herself thrust into a life/death situation.

A/N: for this one, I am actually doing sequels to two different stories, HOPE and A Purrfect Merrowlical...both of which can be found on my author forums or my storyboard or...follow the links. Sue, I hope you enjoy this A/U fic :) .

Tim yawns and stretches then stops. He can hear Jethro growling at something or someone in his living room. He grabs his robe, and peers around the doorway. A faint blue glow and a quiet meow announces his visitor.

“Easy Jethro, I think our visitor is on our side.” He steps further into the room, wondering if he's imagining just who his visitor is and why she's in his apartment.

“Hello Timothy McGee.”

“Hope, but how and why?” Hope Cimmerian, the one constant in his childhood, shimmering in his living room.

“I need your help.”

Tim sits down and waits for Hope to continue with her narrative. Jethro starts growling again, and Tim rubs his ears. “It's okay boy, the cat is on our side too.”

Tim thinks back to a few months ago, almost a year since a black cat with white markings and a faint blue glow last entered his life. He along with Gibbs and Ducky had actually managed to save the life of another NCIS agent, Brent Langer, after he and Brent had read a mysterious poem and taken an incredible journey into another land.

“You're not the author of the poem, but the cat does belong to your family doesn't it?”

“Hmm, no to the poem and yes about the cat. I have missed seeing you Timothy. You don't tend to need me that much anymore.”

Tim blinks as he remembers their first meeting. He'd been a child then and befriended a young girl after some kids from school tried to block him in an old mine. They'd talked for hours until Tim's parents had come and not only rescued him, but the bones of Hope as well. Hope had been Tim's invisible childhood friend for years after that, looking over him as he'd gone through the trials and tribulations that mark growing up a young genius in a small town. She'd been there during his automobile accident silently encouraging him to stay strong and not give up his dream of going on to college.

She'd stayed in the shadows as he grew into an adult, not wanting to show herself, but still there if he needed her. Now she needed him, and she could only hope that he would understand why she had come.

“Last year, when you read the poem and interpreted the picture, you did something that I could not do; you saved Agent Langer's life. I...I was supposed to take his soul and you helped him, the same way you helped me years ago.”

“Hope?” Tim looks at her, seeing fear in those blue eyes.

“I don't want to hurt anyone, Timmy. The time you spent with me, I was supposed to take your soul then, and I couldn't do it.”

Tim sighs, then smiles and Hope knows that he's had a flash of inspiration.

“Ziva told me that your last name means darkness, that you could have taken my soul then, had something not changed your mind.”

“You changed my mind, Timmy. You showed me true friendship while you were growing up, you never forgot about me. I was hoping you might not forget me or deny me this one request.”

“Hope? You're not tied to just my apartment are you? Can you come with me over to Gibbs' house?”

“I can go wherever you are Tim, as long as you have faith in me.”

“Good. Let me get dressed and we'll go to Gibbs. I can pick up Ducky on the way.”

Tim frowns slightly. He has a feeling he knows what might be asked of him and tells her to let him make two phone calls before she continues. She nods, and looks around the apartment waiting patiently while he calls in the two people he trusts most with what is about to happen. He briefly talks to both men, telling them he needs to talk to them. Both men ask what is going on and he says only that he needs to help a friend. With that he finishes his calls, telling both men that he's on his way to Gibbs' house and tells Ducky that he'll pick him up as it's so early in the morning.

Gibbs frowns as he hangs up the phone, wondering what is going through Tim's mind. The young male agent rarely asks him for favors and has seldom been to Gibbs' house, so the fact that Tim wants to do so and at such an odd hour has him reaching for the coffee pot and tea kettle, knowing that whatever is on Tim's mind might take a bit more than one cup of coffee for them to get through the conversation.

His phone rings again and he answers, “Yeah, Gibbs. Don't know Duck, but the kettle's on, so bring your favorite tea.”

Tim gets dressed in jeans, a pullover and grabs his jacket as well as treats and Jethro's leash. Seeing that they are going for a ride, the big dog waits patiently for his master to hook the leash to his collar. Hope is nowhere to be seen and for now the dog is quiet, patiently waiting for his master to take him to their destination.

Ducky glances around his rooms, wondering just what the young Tim might need that had led the agent to calling him so early in the morning hours. Picking up his medical kit and a box of tea leaves, he waits on his porch, smiling when the agent pulls into the driveway and hurries over to the passenger door, sliding inside before Tim can assist him.

“Now what has you in such a dither, Timothy?”

“I'll explain when we get to Gibbs', this is something that I'm not sure I can explain more than once.”

The rest of the drive is quiet and Ducky is almost asleep again, when they pull into Gibbs' driveway. Tim lightly touches the older man's shoulder and Ducky smiles when he sees concern in Tim's green eyes.

“I'm not as young as I used to be Timothy. Now let us get inside and hear your tale. I'm sure it will be a good one.”

Jethro starts growling and pulling at his leash, leading both men to Gibbs' front door. As they go inside, Ducky can almost see a faint blue glow from the floor and he glances up at Tim just in time to see the young agent shush the dog. Tim leads Jethro out to the back door, unclasps the leash, and the dog hastily does his duty before bounding back to the porch. The dog paws at the bottom of the door, barking twice before Tim lets him back inside.

Gibbs raises an eyebrow as the dog, normally well-behaved, starts prowling around the kitchen, snarling at an invisible foe.

Tim waits until the coffee and tea are poured then tells the other two men about Hope and how she has a request for them.

Gibbs raises an eloquent eyebrow, and Tim sighs, “Just hear her out, please.”

Hope appears and Ducky inhales as he faintly recognizes her from some of the folk tales he's heard over the course of his lifetime.

“Before either of you pass judgment, remember she's the reason that Langer is still alive. She gave us the poem and the portrait to save him so please, let her speak and listen to her with an open mind.”

Before Hope can say anything, the cat yowls, the dog barks and all of them disappear from sight.

NCIS-NCIS

Gibbs wakens slowly, not sure what is going on. Remembering the two men who had been with him, he looks around, sighing in relief when he finds Ducky lying peacefully next to him. He touches the older man on the shoulder, and smiles when his friend opens his eyes.

“My that must have been quite a journey Jethro. Where is our young friend and his companion?”

“Dunno yet Duck, you were the first one I saw.”

Both men look around and Gibbs frowns. The area is familiar to him and yet not really.

“Jethro, do you have any idea where we are?”

“I...it looks similar to that picture Tim and Langer got last year Duck, but it's changed. Not just the animals but the buildings and the terrain.”

“Oh, dear, I was afraid of that when I saw young Hope materialize. You do realize what she is, don't you, Jethro?”

“Oh, c'mon, Duck! A real life death-eater or soul-sucker? Why now and why Tim?”

Ducky wipes his glasses and starts to say something, but a ragged barking has both men rolling to their feet. Ducky motions for Gibbs to go ahead, knowing that the younger man can run faster than he can. Gibbs raises an eyebrow and gets an impatient glance in return.

“Hurry Jethro, he might need your assistance before I can get there. Here, take this just in case.”

Ducky thrusts his doctor's kit at Gibbs who grabs it and starts running towards the sound of a desperate dog barking at the top of his lungs. He hadn't been there the first time Tim and Langer had gone through the magical portal, but he still remembers Tim telling him about Ursa Major, the mother bear watching over some dead warriors. This time, the bear was watching a herd of different animals, dragons, and polar bears, rabbits and turkeys, he can even see some cobras and is that a phoenix?

Ducky runs up beside him, panting slightly with the effort he's made to catch up to his friend and co-worker. His eyes widen as he sees the different animals co-existing in somewhat peaceful harmony and his jaw drops when he sees the faint, iridescent outline of not just one but two, Ursa Majors. The closest one is near an old building with a moat circling around the building. The bear is on a pedestal of sorts, watching protectively over the animals, from what he's not sure but he can almost feel the presence of humans wandering all around him.

The pathway is worn and smooth behind them, branching out slightly to the (he thinks the citadel is North) east and west, he can imagine tents and buildings on the opposite side of the animals he's currently observing. They hear Jethro barking and once again set off down the path, past the animals, where the second Ursa Major is standing her own guard, and across an ancient stone bridge. To their immediate right, stones set in a particular pattern, not unlike Stonehenge in Ducky's mind and with glowing ruinic symbols. Not sure exactly what to make of it, he turns to Gibbs who is staring at the growling dog, tied to the leg of wooden table sitting just outside what could only be considered an old-fashioned pub or tavern.

“Easy boy, we're here now. Duck wait for me out here, just in case McGee isn't inside.”

Gibbs walks in the door and waits for his eyes to adjust to the darkened room. He doesn't immediately see his young agent, but a glowing blue tail and a soft, “merrowl” has him following the cat to where his missing agent and the female whatever she is, are sitting. Well, Hope is sitting, watching almost protectively over his agent who is smiling and of all things singing.

“wort, wort wort, resort, resort resort...oh hey Boss. See Hope, I told you he'd find us.”

Gibbs frowns, and glances at the young woman. He almost does a double-take as the woman is no longer wearing a blue and white checkered dress. Now she's dressed in leathers, her hair streaming behind her back. The outfit is almost provocative and yet McGee seems immune to the charms being displayed in front of him.

“What have you been drinking, McGee?”

He glares at Hope who shakes her head.

“We haven't had anything to drink, Mr. Gibbs. I found Timothy like this when we woke up here. I'm not sure what has happened, but I think I know why.”

“Let's take him outside, Ducky can look him over while you explain in detail what you expected to do to my agent.”

Hope sighs and follows him as he half carries her friend out the tavern doors. Ducky looks up as they exit the building, and the dog finally stops barking, as he sees his friend and master being led over to them.

“Good heavens, Jethro, is he drunk?”

“Drunk or maybe drugged. He was singing when I got in there.”

“Hmm, well, what do you have to say about all this Hope?”

No immediate response has both men looking around for the woman and her cat, both of whom seem to have disappeared.

“Hey, Ducky...hey Boss, thought I saw you here. Where is Hope? She said she needed help with something.”

Both men shake their heads. Standing in the doorway of the tavern, Hope watches as her friend slowly regains his wits. This is the first time she's been able to be in Tim's presence since he was a child, and the powers that be are still trying to hurt the one friend she's had in centuries. She looks at the cat, but the animal is busy washing its paws. Ducky glances over at her and she meets his knowing gaze straight on. She steps out into the light, the cat dancing at her heels, chasing a butterfly or some other invisible creature that only the cat can see or hear. The dog Jethro is still muttering under it's breath, growling at her or the cat, she doesn't know, but she does know that her time to explain has come.

“You are a creature of the dark, aren't you Hope?” Ducky says softly and she nods, biting her lip as she watches Gibbs turn back to towards her friend. “He's not the first soul you've taken, but he is the one you can never take and you still have no idea why that might be.”

“What are you talking about Duck?” Gibbs glances at his friend before turning his gaze back to his seemingly drugged agent. That young man is still singing under his breath, something about wort and forts and resorts. He can almost hear Tim mention Trent Kort's name in there too, but he doesn't want to imagine why that might be unless it's because it rhymes with the other words.

“The reason she went to see young Timothy. He's the one soul she has never been able to take. It makes the others nervous, or am I wrong?”

Hope shakes her head. “I couldn't take him 30 years ago, and I still can't take him. He's not like the others. He looks at me and smiles and I can't …”

Tim stops singing and looks around in temporary confusion, smiling when he sees his companions. “I still love you Hope.”

“That is why you will never be able to take him or his soul.” Ducky says and everyone looks at the elderly man for an explanation.

“Timothy, how old were you when you first saw Hope?”

Tim looks at Gibbs and Hope, then says, “I was about 7 or maybe 8 at the time. I know that Sarah was still just a baby. So I think I was about 7, close to 8.”

Hope nods her head in agreement. “Yes, you and some other boys from school had come up to the cave where I had died and you stayed when the others ran away. Well, you didn't have much choice, but you didn't have to play with me, and you did.”

“I just wanted a friend to play with. You've been a friend since the day we met.” Tim answers and Hope smiles at him.

Ducky looks at the two of them, then at Gibbs who is still frowning and glaring at the young female.

“He still trusts you, has faith that you will not hurt him and I can see that you will not. You were sent to Timothy for a different reason tonight. What was it?”

Hope looks at Tim, then at Gibbs and Ducky. “A year ago, I was sent to try and lure Timothy McGee to this land. He came but he had a companion, someone that should have died a few weeks later. Somehow, he managed to save that person's life. He did the same thing tonight, when he called not one but both of you.”

Ducky pats her hand, “You didn't count on Timothy calling me.”

Tim shakes his head, “No, they didn't count on my calling Gibbs.”

Hope looks at Tim, “I knew you would call Gibbs, but it was actually Tony they wanted tonight.”

“DiNozzo? Why?” Gibbs' questions brings a wry smile to Tim's lips.

“He's the one who not only picks on me, but you let him get away with it. I think it was supposed to be a trial of sorts, see if Tony would actually listen to me for a change. Only I didn't call Tony, I called you two instead.”

Hope nods, “It changed the parameters so to speak and yet in a way, it still saved him. Timothy still called the people he knew he could trust and you were willing to come with him, to listen to both of us or you would have been left behind.”

Tim looks at her, “Does this mean that Tony is in jeopardy? I don't want to go if it means that Tony has to die.”

“No, you three managed to save Tony from ever going through this. He will be safe and so will your companions.”

Tim starts to ask her another question, but she puts a finger to his lips and shakes her head. “Do not ask, I cannot tell. To do so, might mean putting your life in jeopardy once more and I will not be a party to that. Go now, live in peace while you may.”

With that, she disappears from their sight. Jethro, both human and dog growl, just as the cat merrowls twice. Tim blinks as he wakes up, smiling at the sound of two men and a dog snoring softly nearby. He looks around and sees that they are back at Gibbs' house, Ducky sleeping on the couch and Gibbs in a recliner. His furry companion is snoozing on the floor by Ducky's feet, so Tim takes the quiet time to reflect on the events of the past night.

Hope had said that Tony would not have to go through the portal to the other land; did it mean that Tim might have to go through it again with one of the others? He sighs and rolls to his feet, tip-toeing through the kitchen, so as not to waken either Ducky or Gibbs. Jethro snuffles once, twice then wakes with a soft growl and pads quietly to Tim’s side. The two go out the back door and sit on the steps, watching the morning sun rise over the new day.

A soft growl has Tim glancing over his shoulder and he smiles as the cat, blue flame burning softly, bounces over to him. Hope sits down beside him and puts her head on his shoulder. “Thank you Timothy McGee.”

“For what?”

“Having faith in me; for believing in me and not being afraid of me.”

Tim looks at her, “You have never given me a reason to be afraid of you. Even as a child, when you could have so easily taken my soul, you did not. Instead we became friends and we will always be friends Hope, nothing can change that.”

“Still, dark times are ahead of you and everyone that you know. I do not know if I can or will be able to see you again.”

“We'll pass that bridge when we come to it. For now, we have a beautiful day ahead of us.”

Miles away, Tony DiNozzo sleeps on, never knowing that his soul had been in jeopardy or that a younger man's faith has saved him from that knowledge.

Hope stays as long as she can, knowing that her time is limited to the sun rising over the horizon. She's still not certain why she is drawn to Timothy McGee or if she will be able to visit him again. She sighs, content for the moment and allows a small tear to fall when she feels herself being drawn away from Tim's side.

Inside, Gibbs and Ducky slowly waken. After confirming that all three of them, including one furball of a mutt are alive and back on familiar territory, they sit and ponder the night before. Neither of the older two say much each busy with his own thoughts. Gibbs wonders why Tim is the one that the “powers that be” contact in such an unusual way. Ducky is fascinated by the journey he's just taken, and is already planning on putting it down in his memoirs.

Outside, Tim lets his mind wander, remembering the childhood friend, and the companions who had come with him into the weird garden these last two years. He can hear Gibbs and Ducky rising, and walks back into the kitchen, starting the coffee pot and putting the kettle on to boil. He's not sure what will happen in the months ahead, but he is secure in the knowledge that he can go to either man now and not be afraid of the consequences should something like or similar to the night before happen again.

The End?

banner by Gossamer Moonglow

Last edited by tigyr on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
:clap: lovely , it makes me want to go and read the other two again which I will. Much thought and tenderness in the story.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:04 pm 
Senior Field Agent

:kisscheek: Thank you Patsy :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 pm 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
tigyr wrote:
:kisscheek: Thank you Patsy :)

no thank you for writing something so full of thought.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:21 am 
Team Leader

Name: Sue
Aliases: IMSLES (just about everywhere in cyberworld)
link: My ff.net account
Wonderful Lori. I love how Tim instinctively knew he could count on Ducky and Gibbs, even if he didn't know why at the time. Surely Hope will always be near to watch over him. ;D

~~Sue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:17 am 
Senior Field Agent

:kisscheek: Thank you Sue, I'm really glad you liked it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:52 pm 
Medical Examiner

Title: NCIS fan, writer of fan fic.
Name: Deb
Aliases: Gottahavemyncis, Gotta
link: FF.net profile
link: NFAstoryboard
link: Archive of Our Own
I re-read the other two before I read this one, all three stories are lovely, Lori! Wonderfully drawn, thoughtful and creative.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:18 am 
Senior Field Agent

Thank you Deb, glad you liked it :)