NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Introduction to Lismore.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:44 pm 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
:wavingyellow: Recently I have been finding it slightly hard to write NCIS but I still have ideas for crime. Maybe one or two of you have met my new OFC Lismore McPherson, in my story 13% of the Population where Lissy came to D.C. and met Gibbs.

Lismore, I think is probably 52-54, 5' 6", and weighs probably 130lbs that would be 9 stone 4lbs or 58.5Kg. She is a widow, husband having been killed in an accident, while he was on duty. He was also a policeman.

Lismore is partial to high heels, so they will be in there too.

Due to the fact that all Police Force regions, in Scotland have now been lumped together in Police Scotland, Lissy, being a woman of a certain age is taking early retirement. She will however be joining the SOC, which is Scenes of Crime, very much like CSI or what Gibbs and his team do, only she hands all information to the Police.

SOCO

I may expand my new female's character later but please feel free to tear her apart if need be.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:58 pm 
Director

As always a no response is negative response. I know my style and writings are not to everyone's taste, but sometimes a touch of encouragement is appreciated.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:10 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
i thought you'd be posting some story content. I was waiting...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:21 pm 
Director

DeepBlueJoy wrote:
i thought you'd be posting some story content. I was waiting...

It is in progress but sorry was unintentionally wondering if anyone thought Lissy a bit OTT will post tomorrow

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:25 pm 
Director

Oops mobi here but maybe I have never gone outside NCIS writings and wondered if doing right thing maybe I have grown up

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:27 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
I love that your fanfic writing has led you to your own characters. It has for me as well. I'm writing a book that's part of a trilogy in a complete new universe based on two characters who had a part in about 3 chapters of one of my fanfics. It's cool when you 'grow' a completely new and unique 'person'. I hope it works out for both of us!

Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:32 pm 
Director

I started with Eve she was what I wanted to be but as er say have grown I still love Eve but yes new charactersu are born

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
You will probably get more response, Pat, when you tell your potential readers a little more about your character. What you've described so far doesn't really give a reader much to go on.

With my reader hat on:

- I'm not especially interested in how much she weighs or how tall she is. It's good that you know, that you have an idea of her, but as a reader how she looks isn't the most interesting thing about her. I'm more interested in who she is than what she looks like - certainly more than in her weight, to be honest!
- What she does for a living gives me a little insight into her character :yes: not everyone is suited to police work, even if she is a crime scene technician rather than a detective or similar.
- It's interesting that she's a widow, but that detail in isolation doesn't explain very much. I feel like that could be expanded.

So far, the only thing that's really given me any insight into what she might actually be like is that she likes high heels :confusion-shrug:

Give your potential readers something (someone!) to respond to. They might love her or hate her, if they get to know her, but at the moment she's kind of a cipher in high heels. If you know and like her enough to have written a story about her, and to want to write more? You must know more about her than that! :)

What hobbies does she have? Does she drink, smoke, eat too much? Does she prefer sweet or savoury? What's her sense of humour like? How about her taste in books or music? Is she a version of you, or is she totally different? How did she react to becoming a widow? Does she swear? Does she believe honesty is the best policy, or that a little white lie never hurt anyone? Does she have rules or does she play life by ear?

Those are just off the top of my head - I'm not suggesting you sit down and write out your answers to them all, I'm just throwing out a few ideas of what might make her tick, the things you know about her that no one else does... yet.

There are loads of ways to figure this stuff out. Some people like character sheets with defined questions. Me, I get to know my characters just by writing prose and seeing what happens; it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a try. (Not all of what I write gets to escape from my computer, JSYK...)

Some people take those personality test things that are always floating around the web, and answer it as if they were that character. Some people find pictures that give an idea of what their character looks like. There are a lot of ways to go about it.

Like I said, I'm not setting you a list of questions here, I'm just floating some ideas of how you can get to know your character and introduce her to your potential readers. She can be as clear as day to you in your head, but if all you give your reader is her height, weight, and a predilection for high heels, then you probably won't get a response, because there's not enough there to respond to.

Good luck! Original characters are a blast ;D

Finally: no idea if you would find it helpful, but my noodling about with the various OCs and borrowed characters for Rosefern started here (they pop up in a few posts - it took me a while to decide on Will's name, and you can see how I went from some vague things to having names and a few more details) and continued here; those character profiles are a lot more up to date than the first ones, though they're still not 100% current in terms of the details I actually know.

Like I say, mostly I discover stuff about my characters by writing about them, and this only really represents a skimming off the top of my playing around, which in turn doesn't represent everything that's going on in my head - and of course, the stuff that happens in the stories is much more informative than those very brief bios. BUT on the offchance you have any interest in seeing someone else's process in a relatively raw and somewhat unfiltered state, if you think that might be at all helpful, then by all means have a poke around.

ETA: it's just occurred to me that there's a really fun OC game I saw over on FFN, I will go and check out the details but maybe start the same thing up here. I'll post you a link when I'm done so you (and Blue!) can join in :)

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:37 pm 
Team Leader

viewtopic.php?f=1085&t=13263

I don't know if I explained it very well :rolleyes: but I think/hope that if you guys just jump in, it'll start to make more sense, and hopefully others will also be tempted and find it fun.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 am 
Director

I thank you for your comments but
Quote:
What hobbies does she have? Does she drink, smoke, eat too much? Does she prefer sweet or savoury? What's her sense of humour like? How about her taste in books or music? Is she a version of you, or is she totally different? How did she react to becoming a widow? Does she swear? Does she believe honesty is the best policy, or that a little white lie never hurt anyone?

you would have known a little about her if you had read 13%.

But your comments have been noted

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:34 am 
Team Leader

akaeve wrote:
I thank you for your comments but
Quote:
What hobbies does she have? Does she drink, smoke, eat too much? Does she prefer sweet or savoury? What's her sense of humour like? How about her taste in books or music? Is she a version of you, or is she totally different? How did she react to becoming a widow? Does she swear? Does she believe honesty is the best policy, or that a little white lie never hurt anyone?

you would have known a little about her if you had read 13%.

But your comments have been noted

My point wasn't really about what I knew or about the story m it was that you're asking for responses in this thread based on not enough info. You can't really assume people have read a previous story, then give them height and weight and expect them to have an opinion, basically! :) as I said before - give people something to respond to, and then you've a much better chance of getting a response.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 am 
Director

written a little more just looking for a banner for her and a title......

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm 
Director

Lachlan from Stornoway a new DC out of Tulliallan

what about Victoria, gets called Vicki (Victoria sponge) gets a bit soggy in the rain or when drunk.

ImageImageImage

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]