Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
DeepBlueJoy wrote:
flootzavut wrote:
I was thinking about this, and I wonder if Jamie Bamber wanted out for some reason? I mean, to be honest I'd still prefer him to be off screen and leave them in a happy but invisible relationship, but it doesn't seem like it makes sense to bring him on and then split them up without an actual reason. They might as well have just never introduced her husband in the first place.
I would not be surprised. He's a significant actor who's had starring roles. He's a strange choice for a bit part.

He has played smaller roles several times, but it did feel like an odd choice unless they were going to actually use him for something. I could see Bamber being interested in being part of such a popular franchise, but to make him a spouse/not actually involved in cases etc seemed quite weird.

Maybe he hoped it would become something more (which was what I wondered about when I saw they'd cast him), or maybe he just wanted to have a little visibility on a popular show? :confusion-shrug: Being in a handful of episodes and then have his character make an ignominious exit doesn't seem like a particularly great bit of visibility, though. Maybe he's just more hard up for roles than I imagine... and/or maybe then he got a better offer which was why he wanted to leave??

Either way, I wish they hadn't chosen to mess up the marriage :-/ would've been nicer to just have her happily married to an invisible husband :rolleyes: :rofl:

Quote:
...You can't keep someone so top drawer in a bottom draw under the socks.

:rofl: :lol2: :rofl:

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:18 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
Jamie Bamber could (like lots of other good actors who're not getting 'enough roles) play one shot or two shot characters where he was the 'bad guy' or some significant guest role. The spouse as given to him in this situation really isn't that. It's more the kind of role you give to a pretty but very low visibility actor so they can make something of themselves...

I suspect when they made him an NSA analyst they planned to use him like they use Fornell's actor (Joe Spano).

Except, (1) Bamber is probably wanting to establish himself more right now b/c his career is still in the ascendency. Joe Spano is established. He already played a series regular and done a lot of things (and he's a character actor kind of guy, which Bamber probably isn't)

2) This brings me to the fact that Bamber's just too 'sparkly' to be in the room without taking it over - particularly when he's playing against the actor who plays Ellie.

If you put Spano and Harmon in a room, it's magical, b/c they both inhabit their own skin and therefore their own characters and it's confident and it lights up the room.

If you put Bamber in a room with any of the primaries from BSG, you have the same effect - it's alive.

Put him in the room with his 'wife' and he's got to be circumspect, got to wait for her to step to each of her 'marks' and 'say her lines' - she's high school and he's world class. (this is why Ellie plays best with guest stars, btw)

But, with someone like Bamber, it simply CAN'T work. He can do subtle. He could do the relationship coming apart in a very small, effective way... b/c he's great when he whispers and when he shouts. She's monotone. Always... adequate.

Bamber actually has a better time when he's in the room with the other main cast... b/c they're all ready for prime time.

It's actually a good argument that it wasn't Bamber who was miscast, but his wife. If he's had someone he could play against, they could take the relationship in all sorts of places... Just as Diane played off against Gibbs, or Jeanne against Dinozzo... It's messy, but even when you don't like it, it feels real... even for the five minutes Dinozzo and Jeanne play the broken past and messy present, it sparkles... I don't like it, but it's very, very good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 pm 
Director's Secretary

Aliases: Fauxcynic (for my very first NCIS fic!)
link: My fanfic
DeepBlueJoy wrote:
2) This brings me to the fact that Bamber's just too 'sparkly' to be in the room without taking it over - particularly when he's playing against the actor who plays Ellie.

This explains, in a nutshell, what the heck was up with those ill-fitting glasses they gave him! :clap:

Hammer: I might, but I'd keep my mouth shut.

Margaret Dumont, Groucho Marx, the Cocoanuts, 1929