Aliases: dnalia, DAn creature
Flag: Image
AWWWWW

Poor Timmy is going to miss his Tony :(

Click on the banner for the story

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Lia just went "AWWWW." ;D ;D ;D

(But I agree. He will... Love Tim saying there wasn't time for an existential crisis. hahahaha)

I wanna know where the hell they've been hiding this episode, because it was really good. I loved it. :nice:

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
sondheimmcgeek wrote:
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be the impetus for Tony leaving :P

Definitely the existential crisis thing going there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:28 am 
Director's Secretary

Aliases: Fauxcynic (for my very first NCIS fic!)
link: My fanfic
PhoenixRising wrote:
K9Lasko wrote:
And it lasted five seconds, if that. But OMG. We're getting desperate. :lol2:

Uh yeah, I want them to part ways on good terms and friendship (mostly?) intact. I hate the distance. I just can't figure out if that's MW and MH's actual relationship now or if it's all an act for the show. That part is driving me crazy. MH's silence on MW leaving has really ticked me off.

This. But I've moved from irritation to disappointment. You'd hope that MH would recognize - publicly- that MW's antics were a large part of what help move just another procedural to a widely popular, widely watched dramedy.

Side issue: Dennis Smith announced yesterday on Twitter that he is not directing any more NCIS episodes, but will continue on NCIS:LA. :sigh:

Maybe MH will step up for the finale...

Hammer: I might, but I'd keep my mouth shut.

Margaret Dumont, Groucho Marx, the Cocoanuts, 1929

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:32 am 
Director's Secretary

sondheimmcgeek wrote:
Where did Gibbs get the dog? Is that NCIS issued? Do they just have dogs they keep around in case they need it for an undercover op ;D

Ha! I said about the same thing to hubby... ;D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 am 
Deputy Director

Title: Mistress of McGiva
Name: Sherry
So I never came back in after the ep because I was distracted by primary results (hey, it was my state, I'm allowed, lol) and the Brewers game. Anyway, that ending totally made me cry with Ellie suggesting the name USS John McGee. OMG. And I did love Timmy's little pep talk to Tony about him being one of his best friends. Awww. (And nobody's surprised when I say awww, lmao.)

Latest story:
Someone Who Understands (FR13, Gibbs & Fornell friendship)

and

The Only Answer (FR13, fluffy McGiva)[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 am 
Senior Field Agent

smackalicious wrote:
So I never came back in after the ep because I was distracted by primary results (hey, it was my state, I'm allowed, lol) and the Brewers game. Anyway, that ending totally made me cry with Ellie suggesting the name USS John McGee. OMG. And I did love Timmy's little pep talk to Tony about him being one of his best friends. Awww. (And nobody's surprised when I say awww, lmao.)

I laughed so hard when McGee was like, "I don't even know what you're saying right now."

Also, we need to talk about Tony's hair, and the fact that it looks awful. :lol2:

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:12 pm 
Director's Secretary

smackalicious wrote:

I do hope you were happy with your election results. :dancing:

Really liked that Ellie did that. B/c even if he'd thought of it, McGee would never have put his dad's name in as he'd have thought it too vain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 am 
MTAC Technician

Name: Tamara
link: Facebook
Mixed feelings over here. Gibbs' concern for Tony lasted less than a second and i found it extremely unfair that he got so angry over Tony having his identity stolen. That woman was prepared and a proffesional, why would Tony expect that too happen?

Great Tony/Tim moment, poor timmy is going to have a tough time when Tony is gone.

YES about Tony's hair. I mean, is he going back to season 1 and 2? I am really hoping that somewhere in the next couple of episodes everything will make sense but i highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:51 am 
Director's Secretary

Miss_Barbara wrote:
Mixed feelings over here. Gibbs' concern for Tony lasted less than a second and i found it extremely unfair that he got so angry over Tony having his identity stolen. That woman was prepared and a proffesional, why would Tony expect that too happen?

Great Tony/Tim moment, poor timmy is going to have a tough time when Tony is gone.

YES about Tony's hair. I mean, is he going back to season 1 and 2? I am really hoping that somewhere in the next couple of episodes everything will make sense but i highly doubt it.

Big ditto on the panic-to-pissed Gibbs and the ugly weird hair.

And existential crisis... Hmm. Didn't we just have that plot? And for someone else who left? Wait, don't tell me... :no:

For Ziva, it was a rush job; I get it. For Tony, they've had a bit more time. C'mon, Glasberg! You REALLY don't have something else you could try?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:53 am 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
Glasberg does love his 'tried and tested' stuff. Even when he's used it before and everyone else hated it :rolleyes: Not the most original card in the deck, is Gary... :-/

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:28 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Tony's been going through an "existential crisis" for the past 3 or more years. I think it's all coming to a head, and he'll either go completely off the rails or he'll finally figure out what he needs. More than likely the latter, and it'll probably be a very cute-sy final ep -- or more like final scene, since they're adding in the new character.

Actually, I found it kind of interesting to watch Gibbs chew Tony out so spectacularly -- and not just about work, but about the way Tony lives his life. And he did it in front of everybody, not just in private. Pretty embarrassing for him, when you think about it. He certainly seemed to look both embarrassed and pissed-off when the tirade was over.

I think Gibbs is totally vexed by the fact that Tony just can't seem to get his shit together -- or at least he can't get it together in the way Gibbs thinks he should. They are very different people, with very different values. And I think that, for the most part, Gibbs just doesn't "get" Tony. And maybe Gibbs finds that frustrating. Despite all of these years, Tony repeatedly fails to "fall into line."

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:04 pm 
Director's Secretary

K9Lasko wrote:
I think Gibbs is totally vexed by the fact that Tony just can't seem to get his shit together -- or at least he can't get it together in the way Gibbs thinks he should. They are very different people, with very different values. And I think that, for the most part, Gibbs just doesn't "get" Tony. And maybe Gibbs finds that frustrating. Despite all of these years, Tony repeatedly fails to "fall into line."

That's the more thoughtful response of a fanfic writer. The show's writers :confusion-shrug: Not much evidence these days that they're anywhere that introspective or deep when it comes to writing Gibbs' motivation unless it's the Shannon/Kelly thing or the Always A Marine thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:09 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Shywriter wrote:
K9Lasko wrote:

That's the more thoughtful response of a fanfic writer. The show's writers :confusion-shrug: Not much evidence these days that they're anywhere that introspective or deep when it comes to writing Gibbs' motivation unless it's the Shannon/Kelly thing or the Always A Marine thing.

Well, I'm sure I think about this stuff way too deeply. But I think there's a lot of creative threads that can be spun from what they give us in canon... if you try hard enough. I know it's getting a bit difficult these days, but...

I was reading over on the IMDB message boards, and it sounds like a lot of folks there weren't a fan of this episode. I don't know. My first impression was that I liked it. Maybe I just enjoy any Tony-centric episode without prejudice, whether or not he's shown in a positive light. And let's face it... this episode didn't always show him in a positive light. But I kind of like that. The scene w/ the two "phony Tonys" in interrogation was awfully harsh.

And again, we see the obvious conflict between Tony and Gibbs. I almost feel like Gibbs has been avoiding Tony whenever possible, and then when he has to face Tony, he blows up. That's some seriously pent up frustration between those two!

I chuckle because some folks have said, "Yeah, but Gibbs was really worried about Tony in that one scene!" That's true. He was. And don't get me wrong, I totally fangirled ad nauseum over that clip. Because it's wonderful. :nice: But some fans got angry when Gibbs went back to GRR GRR GRR mode afterward. I'm just thinking.. duh, of course he was worried during that scene. Look, in spite of whatever high school drama/soap opera/manly tension/pissing contest/etc is going on between Tony and Gibbs, they care about each other. And if one or the other might be freakin' dead?? Yeah, there's gonna be lots of worry! They may be feuding like middle school popular girls, but that doesn't mean one wants the other one dead! So of course Gibbs is frantic when he thinks Tony may have been killed in a car crash.

So anyway, I forgot what my point was. I don't think I have one. I'm just sitting here.... obsessing... BUT, I kind of LIKE the idea of Tony hitting rock bottom before figuring something out FOR HIMSELF and then going along on whatever path he chooses. Gibbs can't choose for him. They are too different. (I laugh now when it's mentioned that Tony and Gibbs are SO much alike. Like, no. They aren't. Two different people, two different personalities, two different outlooks on life. Basically, oil and water that sometimes work together!)

And can we also dwell on that Tabby scene? Tony went to Abby... for help.... and Abby said she hadn't been to Tony's place in a while. Oh man. So maybe their friends w/ benefits arrangement has been on hold for a bit. Maybe we should awaken it.... I loved Abby's comment: "Maybe you're afraid of what you might find." She did not approve of his weird double-sided cat/dog picture. Yeah, Tony. That kind of stuff is creepy. LOL Why is he so insecure??

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:07 pm 
Deputy Director

I LOVED that Tony & Abby had a proper scene together, like just the two of them, and actually having meaningful conversation. That hasn't happened in ages. I loved all the stuff Abby was saying about him being a catch & the whole, you never know where the person you're meant to be with is, like that was prime fanfic material right there, lmao. Just serving up a Tabby fic on a plate there. ;D

Why would anyone say Tony & Gibbs are alike? LOL, they are basically complete opposites. That's a weird statement to make, IMO. But then, I think it's been proven that the way people watch the show and view the characters is always wildly different from each other. It can kinda leave you scratching your head sometimes, but it can be interesting, too.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:39 am 
MTAC Technician

Tony hasn't been insecure about his dating for a while me thinks, so this whole thing might have something to do with his exit. The closer we get to it the more worried i get. What if they never explain/resolve the whole tension between Tony and Gibbs thing?

What if they spin a wheel, bring back one of his past love interests and have him sail of into the sunset?

I worry too much about these things

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 am 
Team Leader

I think Tony and Gibbs are alike in some ways - but more that who Gibbs used to be before his life imploded is somewhat like Tony is now. Not so much in terms of personality, but things like... we do sometimes see that Gibbs has a sense of humour, and it can be a little twisted and mischievous. They're both dedicated and loyal, sometimes to a fault. Persistent. They both have daddy issues :rolleyes: (of course, they share this in common with most NCIS characters!) They are both (whether through natural inclination or training or both, however you want to swing it) cops to the bone marrow.

I think it's weird to say they're sooooo alike. They have some traits and qualities in common, but in other ways they're wildly different. And I definitely think that some of the ways in which it's easy to see parallels are more in terms of how they were or how they could have been, if life had gone differently for them, rather than necessarily in how they actually are in their present day incarnations. Personally, I don't see them as being markedly similar or as complete opposites. I also think that probably Gibbs, as the one who's older (not necessarily wiser, but he's been through Tony's stage in life whereas Tony hasn't been through his) and as the one who is a closed book to most people but knows himself, might see more similarities when he looks at Tony than maybe Tony would when he looks at Gibbs, if that makes sense?

Re: writerly intentions versus fan interpretation, I agree that us obsessed dedicated fans tend to put more thought into this stuff than the writers do :P ;D but on the other hand, like any work of fiction, once it's out there it's open to interpretation (otherwise we'd have nothing to write fanfic about, right?), and I also think it's natural to look for rationales and explanations and character motivations even if they weren't intended. So on the one hand, I might not give the writers so much credit, but on the other, if a fan interpretation makes sense of what we've been given (especially when what we've been given might not make sense on the face of it), it's 100% valid and screw what the writers 'meant' ;D

I know I've said it before, but I think one of the reasons NCIS inspires so much fanfic is because of little (and big!) inconsistencies and things that don't get properly explained, etc etc. It's annoying when they can't even stick to their own canon, but on the other hand it can be hella fun to play in the mess they leave behind :rofl:

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:21 am 
Director's Secretary

I don't think they're alike in personality at all. However,

I believe a case can be made for Dinozzo making a lot of similar choices and priorities that are consistent with Gibbs.

Part of it is character - both have high degree of moral fiber and this leads dedication - to a need to serve the people they are trying to find justice for.

Part of it is that I think unwittingly, probably, Dinozzo's lifestyle choices (relatively solitary, work focused, the job is family) are very much the choices that Gibbs has made.

Shallow dates are Dinozzo's woodworking. They aren't gonna turn into anything. They're virtually his hobby and a way to get the sex that Gibbs appears to have given up on for the moment. (except in fanfic, thank goodness!!) This leaves him free to focus his attention almost soley on the job -- just like Gibbs.

Blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:33 pm 
MTAC Technician

I was rewatching S3E3 mind games and Ducky says there that Gibbs was a lot like Tony before the whole Kyle Boone case came along.

Quote:
"Oh, quite the opposite", Ducky replies before grabbing Tony and telling him, "He(gibbs) was... He was a lot like you" before leaving the bullpen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:19 pm 
Director's Secretary

K9Lasko wrote:
Shywriter wrote:
K9Lasko wrote:

Well, I'm sure I think about this stuff way too deeply. But I think there's a lot of creative threads that can be spun from what they give us in canon... if you try hard enough. I know it's getting a bit difficult these days, but...

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my comment. :-/ I think all of us who write NCIS fanfic try building from and working with canon, at least to some extent and sometimes, and we all start with a kernel of something they gave us and create from there, analyzing things similarly to what you describe. But I see less of that shown in the episodes themselves. We fanfic folks worry about the characters' motivation for what they do & why, if a character would be likely to do certain things (look at our long discussions recents of who swears, why, where & how much!). But -- to a great extent dictated by the constraints of writing for a TV show -- I suspect a lot of motivation of the show's writers (and runner) may be something like "we have 2 min and 15 sec. of pre-case lighthearted banter in the bullpen -- okay ... Go."

So I just meant, and just guessing of course, that as a script is developed they think action! and comedy relief! and throwing speculation on the wrong character for a while!, and Gibbs needs to be the hero!, and then sort out who can do what. Maybe I'm biased, since my first fandom was rich with fanfiction fodder, but your analysis of motivations & all is more in spite of what they give us, not because of it. (And that is a credit to your writing chops!). We love doing it and love reading when others do it. Now ... I would just really appreciate it if the show's writers could do a bit of it too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 pm 
Director's Secretary

Miss_Barbara wrote:
Tony hasn't been insecure about his dating for a while me thinks, so this whole thing might have something to do with his exit. The closer we get to it the more worried i get. What if they never explain/resolve the whole tension between Tony and Gibbs thing?

What if they spin a wheel, bring back one of his past love interests and have him sail of into the sunset?

I worry too much about these things

As I said elsewhere tonight: Jessica Alba. Think about it.

:lol2:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:50 pm 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
I finally got around to watching this episode last night. Haven't watched much TV of late, and definitely not NCIS when I have.

I have mixed feelings about this episode. The scene in interrogation with Tony and the phony Tonys was incredibly harsh, especially since the people Tony cares about most were watching from observation. That had to hurt. Tony's line, "What a fun conversation!" I thought was really poignant. You could feel how wounded he was and Captain Cruel and Captain Clueless were completely oblivious to their own crude and callous behavior. I wanted to knock their heads together...hard.

When I first saw who I refer to as the "Blonde Bitch" from After Hours, I knew...I just knew that she was no good and that she was the last person Tony should've taken up with. At the time, I had no idea they were going to use her in this manner but I both loved and hated being right about her. Since when does Tony take women to his apartment anyway? They ret-conned canon. The man doesn't have a single bed because it's fun people! Idiot writers.

Gibbs ripping Tony a new one in the bullpen: Why the hell does Gibbs still have a job? Did Tony deserve to get ripped a new one? Yeah, kinda. The badge is like the gun. You don't let that thing out of your sight unless you know exactly where it's locked up and you're the only one with the key or combination. That said, the public arena in which Gibbs ripped him a new one was completely out of line, unprofessional, uncalled for and a complete betrayal of trust. That wasn't just breaking rule 1, it shattered it. How the hell could Tony ever trust Gibbs after that? He humiliated him in front of his coworkers, not just his team, but other people in the bullpen. It's a public place, not private. If he wanted to rip Tony a new one, do it in a conference room with the door closed. Also, the comments about his private life made public in such a spectacle, also out of line and unprofessional. Really, Gibbs should get written up for that. Terrible leader. You just don't do that! Tony knew he screwed up. He didn't need a public humiliation over it. He already was humiliated enough. No, my rant isn't over on this, just paused.

I really, really hate how they've ruined prior canon knowledge about Tony's apartment being his sanctuary by saying he's had a lot of women back there, and Abby. That just ticked me off royally. It was more 'in-character' for Tony to have not ever had women there, especially since he sleeps in a single freakin' bed. Who invites women back to their place when they sleep in a single bed? That's just stupid beyond words!

I really wanted to hug Tony. He did not deserve this. I'm glad they didn't need that bitch's testimony though. She didn't deserve a get-out-of-jail free card. I hope prison is a wholly miserable experience for her.

I liked Gibbs for one second when he was relieved to see that Tony was alive, well, and present. I hated him the rest of the episode after the way he treated Tony. I know nothing will come of that, but really, his behavior was unbecoming of a team lead, boss, federal agent, and friend. I'd kick him to the curb if he treated me like that.

Today, it's actually been difficult to work on my WEE story because I'm so pissed off over how Gibbs treated Tony. He hasn't treated him well in a long time, but this is ridiculous. *sigh*

Shutting up now. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 pm 
Senior Field Agent

PhoenixRising wrote:
Gibbs ripping Tony a new one in the bullpen: Why the hell does Gibbs still have a job? Did Tony deserve to get ripped a new one? Yeah, kinda. The badge is like the gun. You don't let that thing out of your sight unless you know exactly where it's locked up and you're the only one with the key or combination. That said, the public arena in which Gibbs ripped him a new one was completely out of line, unprofessional, uncalled for and a complete betrayal of trust. That wasn't just breaking rule 1, it shattered it. How the hell could Tony ever trust Gibbs after that? He humiliated him in front of his coworkers, not just his team, but other people in the bullpen. It's a public place, not private. If he wanted to rip Tony a new one, do it in a conference room with the door closed. Also, the comments about his private life made public in such a spectacle, also out of line and unprofessional. Really, Gibbs should get written up for that. Terrible leader. You just don't do that! Tony knew he screwed up. He didn't need a public humiliation over it. He already was humiliated enough. No, my rant isn't over on this, just paused.

This is the part that also bothered me the most. It's one thing to chew him out about work (he deserved that, to a certain extent), but completely another thing to bring up the personal stuff. And to SCREAM IT for everybody to hear? Yeah. Humiliating is one word for it.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:57 pm 
Director's Secretary

How did we go from Giibs being a no nonsense, hardass hero, to being the softer, happier Gibbs who implied to Ziva that she & the others were his "kids," to this more distant curmudgeon with a callous (cruel?) streak, especially when it's aimed at the man he recruited for NCIS?

It makes you wonder why TPTB and those in the writers' room thought that this scene, and this Gibbs, were a good idea. I wonder if they just don't see him as we're seeing him here, or if they do, and think it's a reasonable evolution for him.

You'd think Gibbs was part of the current election scene ... :sigh:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:45 am 
Director's Secretary

Sometimes I think they hire a new crop of writers each season. Writers who never see the previous seasons or talk to any of the other writers, but instead work from brief handouts about the characters. If the writers have issues and hostility, the characters suddenly develop them b/c the writers are too young and too undeveloped to see their characters with any clarity.

I think without the input of the actors, there would be no show and no internal consistency at all. But there's a point beyond which the words that you're forced to speak stop having any connection with the person the actor is attempting to portray and then you have disconnects... and character change that makes little sense in terms of what came before.

I think we viewers make the sadly incorrect assumption that our writers will invest in our characters. In my experience, fanfic of this series is what keeps it alive for a lot of us. Unlike Buffy where the writing created complex and internally consistent arcs for each character, NCIS' writers have created disjointed and often really contradictory interior arcs for our primary characters... which makes them lack integrity of being even though the actors attempt to play them with consistency and heart.

The fact that it is so popular means they could make investment into creating something stellar. Instead, what has happened is that they have figured they can be lazy. Unlike sci-fi and fantasy (where things like Buffy, Star Trek and Stargate live), there are many casual viewers of NCIS and the rest of the franchise. I believe the series is written for them....

The casual viewer won't look under the blanket to see that the sheets don't match and that the pillowcases get changed almost randomly. If they did anything like this in sci-fi, fantasy shows, the viewers would throw tantrums and do things that would get the attention of the writers and show runners... b/c nearly all of them are as invested as the handful of us on sites like this are in this fandom and they can and will explain exactly where and how the character in question went off the rails.

The show runners of NCIS only care about the fact that they still 'grab' eyeballs... and nothing 'grabs' eyeballs the way internal conflict does.

So our characters live a new (and often ridiculous) cruelty every episode... because, ratings.

Perhaps that's part of why Michael has left? If the show isn't invested in the characters or their arcs, why should he be? If I were on this show for 13 years and my character was such a patchwork quilt, I might consider going somewhere I could work with actual integrity. Just saying.

Blue

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:10 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Amber
Aliases: ChibiEarth, Kagome
link: FF.net
link: Website
I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone or calling people out...but I gotta ask...

In recent threads (most of this season to be honestly) has nick picked a lot of negative sides to the show. I feel with Michael Weatherly leaving that maybe trying to see some positive in episodes may change discussions here a bit?

I am all for discussing good/bad episodes and pulling details apart (which stuff truly is lazy writing).

I want hear what people enjoy too.

Let's get some positive discussion going too instead of a majority saying, "Time to end show!"

It has been a tad disheartening to log on lately and see this (at least to myself).

Anyways, I liked the episode. Some plot/writing issues as pointed out. I do not want to see Fornell hurt but as always, hopefully the situation will resolve itself.

Now...I'm gonna go back to the crowd of missing Michael Weatherly and just read the discussions. :)

Banner and icon by me. Halloween Icon Fanart credit. (Gone)
What You Never Lost (TMNT)/Saying Goodbye (NCIS)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:46 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Being positive is good, but making us feel bad about expressing what we honestly think about the episodes and the show isn't so much. We need all the discussion we can get.

So what did you like in specific about this episode? Maybe we can get something going here.

On the whole, I liked this episode, except for Gibbs' blow-up in the bullpen -- although I found that fascinating. I appreciated that it was very Tony-centric, but it wasn't entirely Tony-positive. (I've created a new term...) And no, I'm not one of those people who needs Tony to be a perfect 100% of the time. (Just read my stories... LOL)

I know that others really enjoyed the Abby and Tony scene, and the one with Tim. Those were really nice moments.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:23 pm 
Director's Secretary

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. However, there are two sides to every coin. It's understandable that were parts we disliked. I agree I disliked the bullpen scene. It just also gets a tad upsetting to see various threads about the writing. It's Hollywood...they're not going to be realistic and recall the details we do cause we like the characters.

Now, I'm not wanting anyone to feel bad or feel bad about their opinions (hell, post whatever you want in honest opinion. I just know when several threads get this way, it feels like those of us who liked the episode and overlook the details seem in a minority these days - similar to the lack of Tony fans on the forums at one point haha. More than one person has approached me about it.

I agree with some discussion moving in different ways too. Maybe I jumped the gun and felt that everyone disliked another episode too. For that I'm sorry. However, it would be refreshing to see what parts of the writing you MAY have enjoyed too (or was humorous/needs attention/whatever), like you said. Maybe I should have worded my post differently too.

Chelsea, I know what you do to Tony in your fics! :P ;D I know Tony isn't perfect in your fics just like McGee or Ziva wouldn't be perfect in mine (NO PERFECT characters haha).

However, some I disagree on what some dislike about episode(s) too. Someone getting shot/hurt near a season finale has become so normal, I'm not suprised anymore. ;)

I agree with Blue's posts about actors catching characters. Tony's character is a point in the show he needs something new or changed. Blue's post definitely reflects that.

What I enjoyed:

Tony-centric (totally agree with you on that)

Tony and Abby - I loved the screen time together. It felt a lot like earlier seasons and showed their friendship I hadn't seen in a few years.

Fornell and Vance- Really spot on interactions.

What I disliked:

The blow up with Gibbs in the room.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 pm 
Director's Secretary

Amber, on another board I was in your shoes, asking for a bit of positive discussion amid the negative (I think it was around S4-S5) when the TIVA thing was taking hold and a group of the faction was not amused. When I did, I was "asked" in clear and concrete terms by one of the main mods to take a hike! (she literally said "don't let the door hit you on the way out." She, it seems, was among those not a fan of the TIVA.)

Happily, I suspect you won't get that reaction here. :hug2col:

That said, this is a writer's board, and if ever there is a crop of people who could become irked/frustrated/tired/irritated/unhappy/ PO'd at the way the show we love is being written, now well into its second decade and peopled with long and well-established characters, it would be here. I applaud your call for positivism and know I need to do better these days on that. But for some of us, being "positive" may just have to mean commenting less. And as I infer Chelsea saying in her comments, too, sometimes we like to be able to vent some of those frustrations where we know some may be like-minded, and that will sometimes involve a discussion/dissection of the episodes as they appear.

But for you, here's my positive input for the evening: gonna put on my jammies and watch the last ep of today's NCIS:LA weekly mini- marathon on Esquire... ;D

:offtobed:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:08 pm 
Deputy Director

I can feel where Amber's coming from here. And I've been in other people's shoes, too. Personally, I am really enjoying this season. I'm not here to nitpick all these little things, though of course some of the characterization stuff they do drives me nuts at times, because I really just want to watch episodes and enjoy them. I feel like some of the show writers are definitely better than others (Steve Binder, Chris Waild and Jennifer Corbett are probably my faves right now) & their episodes are generally good ones, so I don't like lumping all the writers together as "they all suck" or whatever, because I don't think it's true. It's just like with us - not everything we write is going to be stellar, and not everything is going to be awful. And we all have our own way of watching the show, too, so what I like may not be what somebody else likes or vice versa. Like, I get tired of them using the same plot devices all the time (oh, let's kill off a recurring/minor character!), but so much of the character stuff this season I've really liked. And that's pretty much what I watch for, so as long as I'm not hating these characters I've spent 13 years watching, that's all I really care about, lol. Maybe that makes it seem like I don't take the show as seriously as I should or whatever, but I want to enjoy myself watching it & not be upset about stuff all the time (like I was back in season 10), so I've lightened up a lot in that regard. But that's just me.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:01 am 
Team Leader

Shywriter wrote:
Amber, on another board I was in your shoes, asking for a bit of positive discussion amid the negative (I think it was around S4-S5) when the TIVA thing was taking hold and a group of the faction was not amused. When I did, I was "asked" in clear and concrete terms by one of the main mods to take a hike! (she literally said "don't let the door hit you on the way out." She, it seems, was among those not a fan of the TIVA.)

Wow, that's childish :-/ :hug2col: Honestly, I gotta say, their loss.

I think it's good to feel able to vent, but Amber's post did strike a chord with me; sometimes it can start to feel like positive comments are unwelcome. So I guess I'm saying maybe we can live and let live but also not assume everyone is in the same boat. I don't want anyone to feel they can't say what they disliked about an episode, but I don't think we want the opposite to be true, either? And at points this season, I've almost felt like saying good things about a scene/character/episode have not been welcome, and that makes me as uncomfortable as if it felt like saying bad things was unwelcome.

(Honestly, on both 'sides' in terms of opinion on any given episode/scene/character, I suspect it's just a feeling/perception, because I don't think anyone here is likely to say "don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out", and to my knowledge, I've not seen anyone pilloried for either positive or negative comments here. It's one thing I really love about this forum, and it's pretty rare for online communities. It might even be unique, at least in my experience. But I also would hate to feel anyone wasn't comfortable saying "Hey, I really liked this!" as well as "Hey, I really hated this!", ya feel me?)

And I still feel like a relative noob compared to a lot of posters here, so feel free to ignore me :P ;D but like I say, Amber's post struck a chord with me when I read it, so I wanted to say that. I think also Sherry makes a good point in that the individual writers vary wildly in terms of the quality they produce, and it is good to acknowledge that while some of them barely seem to watch the show, that isn't true of all of them.

I mean, there's been a lot of focus on Tony leaving, and a lot of confusion because exactly what TPTB have in mind is unclear, especially since we now know it's been a long time coming/being planned, apparently, so the lack of clarity seems weird. Given that I think most of us who post regularly at least like Tony, there's going to be a lot of confusion and possibly disappointment over feeling his exit is being handled badly or weirdly or just in a way that people don't like, so that in particular is 100% understandable. I get the impression a lot of people (not just here), are (justifiably) kind of 'huh?' :huh: about what they're doing with that at the moment.

I think with Michael having been a central part of the show for so long, it's hard to imagine any way they could've handled it and made everyone happy, but I don't honestly have a lot of faith in Gary Glasberg :th_uhoh2: so... even as someone who isn't a Tony fan per se (I love him, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he's the reason I watch or anything, and him leaving isn't a dealbreaker for me), I am kinda nervous about how they will do that. (I did really like the moments we saw in that sneak peek, the Gibbs hug and Tim's thing about Tony's friendship? :nice: Even if they screw up the rest of it, I think those will be worth tuning in for.) So on that front, I can completely empathise with people who are side-eyeing his exit storyline and wondering wth is going on :shocked:

I kind of think that 1) it says a lot about this community that Amber felt able to say it, instead of just quietly leaving or avoiding certain threads, and 2) just having it out there and agreeing that people are allowed to say they loved an episode someone else hated or hated an episode someone else loved is a Good Thing (TM). I think/hope we can all agree on that, right?

... okay, I edited this both before and after posting, and I still feel kinda like I waffled a lot, but that's my two penn'orth.... :th_uhoh2:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Mon May 09, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:04 pm 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
OK bring it on, I'm getting rather confused with it all.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:13 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Quote:
That said, this is a writer's board, and if ever there is a crop of people who could become irked/frustrated/tired/irritated/unhappy/ PO'd at the way the show we love is being written, now well into its second decade and peopled with long and well-established characters, it would be here.

Yeah, I probably will just stop commenting on the new episodes or other episode related things unless I can come up with something productive/positive/whatever, because at this point, they just aren't working for me. Too bad.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:37 pm 
Administrator

Title: Goddess of Gab
Name: Barbara
link: Author Board
link: Story Board Profile
You can and should still comment! :yes: All discussion is good discussion.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 am 
Team Leader

iheartGibbs wrote:
You can and should still comment! :yes: All discussion is good discussion.

:yesyes:

Like I said before, I think it's good if we can all agree that all discussion is allowed, regardless whether we liked to disliked an episode. I don't like to think people would be unable to express either extreme. My problem is never "people don't say anything good", but only if people feel they can't say anything good/it's not welcome, just as it would be problematic if people felt they couldn't say anything bad.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:39 am 
Director's Secretary

It's hard to be a fan of a show with so many fave characters - hard to hear people upset with things when you're happy with how things are going, and hard to be happy when things aren't what you think they can/should be.

At this point we've probably all been on both sides at one time or another, but it's still tricky to have both wildly diverse reactions in the same conversation, and right now is a particularly hard time for some of us. Maybe later, objectivity will be easier. Not speaking for Chelsea, but I know she's more of a face/force than I am here so her silence is of more concern. If she's feeling anything like I am right now, it's probably a bit easier for now not trying to express feelings about MW's last episodes while either censoring or trying to soft-pedal it.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 pm 
Director

Shywriter wrote:
sondheimmcgeek wrote:
Where did Gibbs get the dog? Is that NCIS issued? Do they just have dogs they keep around in case they need it for an undercover op ;D

Ha! I said about the same thing to hubby... ;D

I heard it was actually MH's own doggy.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:12 pm 
Director's Secretary

Shywriter wrote:
It's hard to be a fan of a show with so many fave characters - hard to hear people upset with things when you're happy with how things are going, and hard to be happy when things aren't what you think they can/should be.

At this point we've probably all been on both sides at one time or another, but it's still tricky to have both wildly diverse reactions in the same conversation, and right now is a particularly hard time for some of us. Maybe later, objectivity will be easier. Not speaking for Chelsea, but I know she's more of a face/force than I am here so her silence is of more concern. If she's feeling anything like I am right now, it's probably a bit easier for now not trying to express feelings about MW's last episodes while either censoring or trying to soft-pedal it.

Amen. I was not trying to discourage people either so if I expressed that vibe...I am sorry!

As always, this community has been one I've always felt welcome to disagree about things (hence why we had this discussion) from both sides of the coin.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:02 am 
Director

we get this one tonight in the UK

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:57 am 
Director

I really enjoyed that one, but you could see that MW/DiNozzo getting "fed up" so to speak, getting disillusioned with NCIS.

Him in doors thought it stupid. Loved Mark/Gibbs and the dog.

ImageImageImage