NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 pm 
Senior Field Agent

iheartGibbs wrote:
I don't know how many of you watch Criminal Minds, but they handled Shemar Moore's exit VERY well. He was THE fan favorite and has been on the show from the beginning, even though he isn't the central character of the ensemble. They did a series of Morgan-centric episodes, including some major whump. I believed him dead at least twice during a three episode period...but they didn't kill him. Everything culminated in his decision to leave the team to focus on his new family. It all made perfect sense, given the way they have written the character from the beginning. He is still local and could technically be available if they ever want to try to bring him in for an occasional guest spot. AND they managed to keep from announcing that he was leaving the show until after the episode aired, having him leave mid-season. It was brilliant, really. As totally devastated as I am that he is gone, I really don't think it could have been handled better.

With NCIS, they told everyone forever ago that Weatherly is leaving, but have given us nothing to go on. He only has one episode left, and has barely been shown. They aren't seeming to give it any weight at all, which is a major mistake, in my opinion.

They did do a really good job with that. I'm not even a fan, but I was quite fascinated by that arc. IS IT SO HARD??

This? Is very weird. Way too much going on. Very messy and convoluted. Maybe next episode will suck our socks off in awesomeness, and we'll be going, oh yeah how freaking great was that? But... So much has been left untouched. We still haven't addressed the Tony/Gibbs "tension" they played up this season. And now suddenly he's just going to up and leave? I have a suspicion that the last episode will be primarily focused on the crazy plot they have going on with some added in "Tony saying goodbye" scenes.

I wish I was an octopus with hands so I could give this entire situation eight thumbs down.

ETA: Wanted to add that if this was just a normal season ending arc, I'd be totally cool with this sort of plot. But because it's Weatherly's "see ya later, suckers" moment? No. Not cool with it.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:02 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
Shywriter wrote:
I won't elaborate, since we're not doing negative, but I won't lie - by this far into Tony's planned departure, I had hoped to see a bit more of him.

Yeah, it really aggravates me. I think a favorite, original character's exit should be all about them... they should shine. They should be front and center. They should not get the DREGS. It felt as if he was barely in the episode, and then the episode ends up being about a bunch of strangers, and goddamned Kort. I hate Kort. Always have. Really hope Dinozzo or Ziva kills him very dead, with extreme prejudice. He needs killing. Not anyone I love.

As someone else said, they could have handled this like they handled Shemar's departure on Criminal Minds. That was masterful. I even ended up not feeling angry he was leaving b/c the reason the character was leaving was so sensible and 'relatable' that I forgot to be pissed with the actor who I really didn't want to leave. But that show is full of great writing, which is probably why I still watch a show that can get a bit more gruesome than I like. (a lot, actually). I can't help even liking the victims... because they always fight and make you want them to make it.

PS: (unrelated) I think the person who asked why the explosion was called a terrorist event was b/c the press don't have any reason not to call it that in Israel. It wasn't NCIS that said that.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:02 pm 
Deputy Director

Title: Mistress of McGiva
Name: Sherry
Well, and one thing I remember seeing was how Palmer was supposed to play some big role in "holding the team together" & he's barely been on? And I really haven't seen anything to indicate he was doing anything beyond what he normally does. I don't know if they were just hoping to get all this in and ended up changing their mind or what, but the whole thing really is weird. And then they add in unnecessary added drama, like shooting Fornell, so you're just like, huh? What was the point of that? I mean, I've liked some of these stories, but you're right, Chelsea, there's a lot that hasn't been dealt with and that is frustrating.

Latest story:
Someone Who Understands (FR13, Gibbs & Fornell friendship)

and

The Only Answer (FR13, fluffy McGiva)[/center]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:14 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I feel like they have a definite tendency to try too hard/fit too much in. And oversell it, of course - like Gary tried to advertise Ziva's exit as being something that would leave everyone happy and mostly no one was, it felt like :rolleyes:

Even way back in Kate's exit, I think with the team grieving and Gibbs being all non-Gibbs and then them trying to set up the Jibbs dynamic at the same time it was... just kind of weird. The more I watch those episodes, the more I think that juxtaposition really doesn't work too well. I think they handled Kate's exit reasonably well in general, but the whole emphasis on LOOK HIS NEW BOSS IS A WOMAN AND THEY TOTALLY DID IT makes me cringe.

I mean, I'm not wild about it anyway, because they basically undermined Jenny from her very first scene, but in the middle of an episode about grieving and avenging Kate, it feels very awkward and borderline... kinda creepy? And that's in a two-parter which was largely Kate-centric and it still seems a bit shoe-horned in there despite having a relatively large amount of time devoted to it.

(Also Director Morrow says he doesn't want to shoot NCIS in the head by making Gibbs director. I mean, who wrote that line when one of their team just got shot in the head. What even. It's so tonedeaf it's almost funny in a highly unfortunate way... I don't know what they were thinking with that one </total random aside it's just another example of writing weirdness...>)

They'd maybe do better to worry about getting to know the new people 'properly' for next season. I know a few diehard Tony haters who are like yeah, whatever, buh-bye, but besides them most people seem to be finding it a little odd even if they aren't huge DiNozzo fans...

Okay I'm rambling, I know... basically I have a lot of empathy for Tony fans feeling kinda short changed and I think it's a shame.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:23 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
smackalicious wrote:
Well, and one thing I remember seeing was how Palmer was supposed to play some big role in "holding the team together" & he's barely been on? And I really haven't seen anything to indicate he was doing anything beyond what he normally does. I don't know if they were just hoping to get all this in and ended up changing their mind or what, but the whole thing really is weird. And then they add in unnecessary added drama, like shooting Fornell, so you're just like, huh? What was the point of that? I mean, I've liked some of these stories, but you're right, Chelsea, there's a lot that hasn't been dealt with and that is frustrating.

A large part of my problem (and I think, the problem) with the series is that there are too many revenge on the team member arcs. They are too busy with far fetched BS to deal with emotional realities between team-members or build relationships and character arcs. There's so much they could do.

But no, it's revenge. Either from people who they've gone after or from people (like Dearing) who lost their marbles or from completely unrelated people - why bring back the director to kill him? damn, but that's poor... and the lady from England... no one survives?

No law enforcement unit in the US could have that kind of body count, particularly in the manner that they do. It doesn't make sense in reality and it doesn't make NARRATIVE sense as good writing if you want us to stay involved with the protagonists. You keep killing them, hurting them, destroying them... it's not sane... and it's not satisfying. You want SOMETHING to root FOR. Someone to feel some joy for.

World in peril, everyone's gonna die all the time and no one is safe is only effective if you're writing Game of Thrones and there's a reason I stopped watching that after one too many bloody seasons. At least the folk who write that show can write more intriguing storylines than the same thing over and over... Who are we gonna kill next or shoot next? Whose family member are we going after next?

Of the original cast, only Dinozzo hasn't lost a family member or several (or died - Kate). Most have been violent. This isn't normal.

IF you are gonna put team members in jeopardy and have it not feel like chain-jerking, it should be used SPARINGLY.

And how many enemies can one team have?

If they kill either Fornell or Ziva, I am done with this series. I will consider it ended at the end of the season where Ziva left, because there's not much I've liked since.

One has to hope they're not insane enough to kill Dinozzo. That would be EVIL.

One thing i did like: The two newbies. Though the woman 'tries a little too hard' to be one of the men. Unfortunately, I can already see them setting her up to butt heads with and probably sleep with Gibbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 am 
Autopsy Gremlin

Title: She Who Often Bites Off More Than She Can Chew
Name: Kris
Aliases: Ahn-Li Steffraini
link: Livejournal Blog
link: My Fanfiction
link: My professional writing page
Flag: Image
DeepBlueJoy wrote:

Though the woman 'tries a little too hard' to be one of the men. Unfortunately, I can already see them setting her up to butt heads with and probably sleep with Gibbs.

Ex-wife #4?

- No idea who said it... or if it's been said. Could've been me (Gods know I say it often enough!)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:14 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Just seen some screencaps, Q? Has Kort got a glass eye, thought he lost one (eye) way back in season 8, but there you go.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:35 pm 
Deputy Director

Title: Mistress of McGiva
Name: Sherry
Yes, Ellie was like, "I thought he only had one eye," and he pulled down his eyelid and tapped on his fake eye, lol.

Latest story:
Someone Who Understands (FR13, Gibbs & Fornell friendship)

and

The Only Answer (FR13, fluffy McGiva)[/center]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:47 am 
Team Leader

... that image made me laugh way too much. Kort is in my "love to hate" category. Horrible human being, interesting character.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 am 
Director

smackalicious wrote:
Yes, Ellie was like, "I thought he only had one eye," and he pulled down his eyelid and tapped on his fake eye, lol.

Thank you..................

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am 
Senior Field Agent

Best lines of the episode:

McGee: We got a ping from Kort's cell.
Gibbs: Where?
McGee: At the zoo. At least as of two hours ago.
Gibbs: Doing what?
McGee: Well, probably visiting his family at the reptile house.

Kort [regarding Tony]: You gonna call your attack dog off?
Gibbs: No.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 am 
Director

K9Lasko wrote:

oh I love that, pity I have Kort in a Zoo in Ukraine, well the dolphin enclosre, 'spose better change that

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:32 am 
Team Leader

K9Lasko wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Go McGee! And sometimes Gibbs' monosyllabic tendencies are perfection.

GNU Terry Pratchett