NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to NFA

By now you have probably realised that you have a deep seated need to read NCIS fanfic, write NCIS fanfic or create NCIS artwork and have taken the first logical step – joined NFA. This forum is where you come to introduce yourself to the rest of the site and find out a bit about other members. Just start a thread and go for it.

You may write as little or as much about yourself in your introduction thread but please avoid being so specific that we can drop around to your house, workplace or school – we like to preserve some mystique. Common things to include are: your country, a first name you like to go by online (does not need to be your real one) and your favourite NCIS characters and/or pairings (ships). Please only start one thread in this introductory forum: with over 300 members now, it can get a little crowded in here.

For legal reasons, please do not advertise items for sale on this site.

If you have already written stories that you want people to read you can join our associated storyboard (which you can reach anytime by clicking on the story board icon at the top of the page) and post them there. If you have stories already posted on other sites, you can use the ‘link’ boxes in your profile to direct people to them. Please use the format
Code:
[url=web_address]name of link[/url]
to insert the link.

After you have reached 50 posts on this site, you may become a full member at which point you will have access to the member’s photo forum where you can start a thread for your own piccies. You might want to limit the number of photos you post in your introductory thread until then. Full members who have at least one story chapter written can apply for their own author board on this site where they can post thread based stories, receive feedback etc.

Please make yourself familiar with the site rules, especially the ratings system and thread labelling parts.

Welcome and have fun.

Post subject: Hey there, Everyone :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 am 
Probie

Name: Saz
Aliases: SarahP260
link: Fanfiction
link: AO3
link: DeviantArt
So, my name is Sarah, or you can call me Saz or Sazzy, hell I kind of answer to pretty much anything as long as it's not derogatory, but I prefer Sazzy/Saz/Sarah, because what person wouldn't appreciate going by their name or nickname? Anyway, I'm twenty-three years old, and I live in the United States and... That's enough about MY personal life, onto my online life:

Anyway, I used to be a serious hardcore RPG gamer, and forum-life is not a new concept to me in the least, but Fanfiction... Writing stories for the pleasure of other viewers, that is something new for me... I have a very creative imagination (You have to have one in roleplaying, believe me... to be able to pull a scenario out of thin air, takes a lot of talent.) and I do a lot of random things with my imagination...

I've only got ONE story published on FF.net (SarahP260, if anyone wants to look me up!) but I have several work-in-progress stories just lying around on my laptop hard drive that desperately need completion, but unfortunately when I start losing motivation for one story, I start another because those damned bunnies (muses, imagination, etcetera) take over my brain and force me to write something new...

What am I looking to get out of being on this forum? Well, friends honestly... Friends who are willing to talk to me, and help me with writing (not like, taking over the story for me... but pointers etc.) and getting me over my writer-block hump whenever i stop writing a story because the bunnies take over my brain!!! I freely give out my Skype address (sazzy260) to anyone and everyone who wants to add me, I don't care if I don't know you, we'll get to know each other soon enough, I'm sure of it!

On a more serious note, I only like three of DPB's releases - JAG, NCIS and NCIS: LA - not to dog on NOLA, but it just doesn't have that NCIS feel to me. My favorite pairings are as followed;
JAG
    1) Harmon Rabb Jr and Sarah MacKenzie (for obvious reasons)
    2) Harmon Rabb Jr and Clayton Webb
    3) Harmon Rabb Jr and Admiral AJ Chegwidden

NCIS
    1) Silver-Haired Fox (Jethro Gibbs) and Big D, Little I, Big N, Ozzo (Tony DiNozzo)

NCIS/JAG X-Over
    1) Harmon Rabb Jr. and Tony DiNozzo

I do not, have not, and will not EVER do a Gibbs/Jenny pairing or a Tony/Ziva pairing, because they are just... No. I prefer slash pairings, Rabb and Mac are the only two heterosexual couple pairings I've EVER done (except a small excerpt of Tim and Abby in my one and only published story), and I have reasons behind my male pairings, but I do not have enough juice in my fingers to write all those reasons, nor does anyone want to read me rambling on and on about it...

So, without further ado, I present to you... Me, in the flesh, so to speak, for the first time on the NFA community, and I'm very glad I was able to join this community! Oh and, sidenote, I also do graphics, haven't done them in a while, but I'm planning on getting back into them now that I have a few ideas rumbling around in my head xD

Click The Image Above For My New Story!!
Add me on Skype and get to know me! Sazzy260

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:53 am 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
Hi there Saz!

Welcome to our little home away from home. I think you'll find a lot of other slash lovers here and I see a pattern :yes: ;) -- Harm/ -- and I can't say I blame you... though i find myself wondering how someone who was barely born when JAG was on is such a big fan. It's a great show and the characters were so fully realized that even years later, when the admiral showed up on NCIS LA I remembered him AND he felt like a long lost friend.

Not big on the Jenny/Gibbs combo. The whole thing degraded Jenny as a character and especially as a leader and she seemed way too high maintenance for Gibbs. And shrill. Don't they know how to write any other love interest for Gibbs? Kind of like all his crazy ex wives, Jenny was only suitable as ex-wife material.

Tony and Ziva? It could have been really good. They could have shown what those two could give each other - a lot - if the writers decided to even try some depth, nuance and true character development. Instead, it circled around and around, and forward and back, and basically became 'one more tormented relationship of NCIS.' It seems the NCIS shows have two options for love relationships. Disaster or tragedy. Or in Diane's case, both.

This is why I love fanfic. We can do what we want, and often make it work better than the show. I know people will be happy to support your writing. This is a caring and fun community of people. I came for the fanfic and stayed for the friendships.

Again, welcome!

Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 am 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: NFA storyboard
Hello and welcome! Like Blue says, you'll find a lot of slashers here, including a decent contingent of Tony/Gibbs fans.

(Also, greetings from a fellow Sarah, there's another one hanging around somewhere too ;))

Personally, I write all sorts ;D Though mostly shippy on some level (and rarely without at least a friendship at the centre of the story), because I am a sap. And also, it's just that the characters and their relationships of all kinds are what draw me in. I love a good plot, but it isn't what I read or write for.

I don't have strong feelings either way on Tony/Ziva. I don't like Jenny/Gibbs, either, but then, I have massive problems with pretty much everything about how they handled Jenny's character; Jenny/Gibbs as a ship is pretty low down on my issues with her, sadly. Love the concept, hate the execution :banghead: But! This is why we have fanfic, right?

I only watched it relatively recently and have never actually written JAG (except for a tiny semi-cameo, "blink and you'll miss it, and even if you don't miss it you may not realise who it's meant to be" moment for Chegwidden that was mostly for my own amusement/satisfaction!), but I love Mac and like Harm plenty, and enjoy their relationship/chemistry/banter a lot ;D

Um... I'm waffling. I'm a bit shattered today... WELCOME!

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 am 
Probie

I know of JAG because of Catherine Bell (my mom loves her) and when we started watching Season One, we were highly disappointed because we thought she'd be in it... Wasn't til season two, so we HAD to sit through and watch S1 of JAG, and this is where we fell head-over-heels in LOVE/LUST with David James Elliott because I mean seriously? Who WOULDN'T love that hot piece of scrumdidliumscious man meat!

When AJ was on NCIS: LA oh my goddd I wanted to KILL HIM for that absolutely atrocious thing he had on his face (beard) and then when he came back the next EP I wanted to ravage him xD he only got better with age!!!

Tony and Ziva could have been okay, if it weren't for the constant back-and-forth that they had of hot and cold... I mean when DB does relationships, he knows how to do good relationships... Take Harriet & Bud or Deeks & Kensi for example - Their relationships could stand the test of time, both had a lot of tragedies but they always stuck it out and came out stronger on the other side... Then you have Mac & Harm or Tony & Ziva who boxer-dance around each other for MULTIPLE years, and yes, everyone AROUND sees the fireworks exploding, but then you have the main characters who act oblivious to the feelings at all and it's just a total Whiskey Tango Foxtrot situation over and over again!

Thanks for the warm reception Blue, and I really appreciate all the comments, I thought I'd gone overboard with the intro but, then again... This is a forum for writers and readers alike so maybe I didn't xD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
Yea! It worked! ;D

Welcome, Sarah. :yes:

(Oh, and by the way, can you turn your link into a clickie just so it doesn't take up so much space?)

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
:wavingyellow: Hi I'm Pat/Patsy from Bonnie Scotland, I usually write Gibbs and OFc's and like writing Ducky and putting bits of Scotland in there.

Welcome to our crazy universe.

should have said I'm on skype but not knowing how old you are you may not want to chat I'm about the oldest person on here but then they say that 60 is the new 40, and I certainly don't feel my age.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 pm 
MTAC Technician

Name: Brian
link: Fan Fiction dot net profile
link: Archive of Our Own
Hello! :wavingyellow:

For my stories, please click on my author page.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:19 pm 
Probie

akaeve wrote:
:wavingyellow: Hi I'm Pat/Patsy from Bonnie Scotland, I usually write Gibbs and OFc's and like writing Ducky and putting bits of Scotland in there.

Welcome to our crazy universe.

should have said I'm on skype but not knowing how old you are you may not want to chat I'm about the oldest person on here but then they say that 60 is the new 40, and I certainly don't feel my age.

Age has no relevant bearings when we're just being friends :) and please, I don't mind adding old people to my skype xD I personally enjoy the older generation, lots of wisdom encapsulated within their minds that can be pecked at :P

- - - - -

I really appreciate all the welcomes from everyone too!! It's been a long time since I've been on a forum with people who were actually welcoming! :P

Side-note: I just published my SECOND story on FF.Net a few minutes ago *fingers crossed* It's pretty good (in my own opinion, but never know other's perspectives)... Ofc it's a Tibbs slash as well, and well, yeah <3 Tibbs <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm 
Director

Hey I'm not old I'm mature I know how to do sums without calculator

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Welcome aboard. I've found that this fandom is very friendly, especially when compared to some others.

I adore Tony/Gibbs, too. I'll have to check out your work.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 pm 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
YAY! Another slasher! I saw a new Tibbs story had been posted but I didn't realize it was yours, I just haven't got around to reading it yet but I will. I have a handful of Tibbs stories as well if you haven't already seen them. There are a few others floating around here that have them too: K9Lasko, flootzavut has a couple, thecookiemomma, Purple-Muse, I think I might've missed a couple but yeah, write MORE, not that I'm demanding or anything...

:P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:39 am 
Probie

K9Lasko wrote:
Welcome aboard. I've found that this fandom is very friendly, especially when compared to some others.

I adore Tony/Gibbs, too. I'll have to check out your work.

Thanks, appreciate it :) I've noticed that people on here are friendly, I wouldn't have joined the forum if that weren't the case... I've had bad experiences with forums in the past, and I always thoroughly investigate where I'm going to spend time before I take the plunge into joining a community because of those experiences.

Hope you do check out my work, and hope you like it! :)

PhoenixRising wrote:
YAY! Another slasher! I saw a new Tibbs story had been posted but I didn't realize it was yours, I just haven't got around to reading it yet but I will. I have a handful of Tibbs stories as well if you haven't already seen them. There are a few others floating around here that have them too: K9Lasko, flootzavut has a couple, thecookiemomma, Purple-Muse, I think I might've missed a couple but yeah, write MORE, not that I'm demanding or anything...

:P

Well, if you haven't read it yet... Obviously you need too! Lol, I'm not sure if I've read any of your stories or not, I've read thousands of stories, will have to check it out and see ;P

Also, even if you were demanding I write more, I'd do it, Gibbs-Command or not! Because, I'm just defiant like that *teenage eye-roll* ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 am 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
I read it this morning. Good story and pretty hot, too!

Just one thing: When you're writing along and someone new starts speaking, that should start a new paragraph or if a person about to speak is performing an action first, that should start the new paragraph. For example:

Tony smiled. "Hi, Abs."

"Hey, Tony, what's up?"

I found the second and third chapters very difficult to read because you had Tony and Abby speaking in the same paragraph, and then later, Tony and Gibbs speaking in the same paragraph. It makes it harder to keep up with what's going on.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am 
Probie

PhoenixRising wrote:

Just one thing: When you're writing along and someone new starts speaking, that should start a new paragraph or if a person about to speak is performing an action first, that should start the new paragraph. For example:

Tony smiled. "Hi, Abs."

"Hey, Tony, what's up?"

I found the second and third chapters very difficult to read because you had Tony and Abby speaking in the same paragraph, and then later, Tony and Gibbs speaking in the same paragraph. It makes it harder to keep up with what's going on.

I don't see how it's confusing or what not... after every spoken word it says who said the sentence... I.E. "Hey, Tony" Abby said with a smile, Tony returned the smile "Hey Abby." he said as he hugged her It's really easy to follow for me, I guess.. I dunno, I write like someone who's writing a novel, always have... Long paragraphs etc.

I honestly find it difficult to follow the way you wrote it, because I've noticed people will run on with spoken words, and never mention who exactly is speaking, so it's like this:

"Hey, what's up?"

"Not Much, what's up with you?"

And, it's definitely a head scratcher for me... Don't ya think? :/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:25 am 
MTAC Technician

Name: Andrea
Aliases: stargazer218
link: My fanfic.net Page
link: Tumblr
Welcome Saz! I hope you enjoy our little community!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 pm 
Director

Sazzy260 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

Tony smiled. "Hi, Abs."

"Hey, Tony, what's up?"

I don't see how it's confusing or what not... after every spoken word it says who said the sentence... I.E. "Hey, Tony" Abby said with a smile, Tony returned the smile "Hey Abby." he said as he hugged her It's really easy to follow for me, I guess.. I dunno, I write like someone who's writing a novel, always have... Long paragraphs etc.

I honestly find it difficult to follow the way you wrote it, because I've noticed people will run on with spoken words, and never mention who exactly is speaking, so it's like this:

"Hey, what's up?"

I think what PR is trying to say is story lay out.

The first line of every paragraph should be indented, with the exception of the first paragraph in each chapter or section.

Generally, there should be no line space between paragraphs, except when a line space between paragraphs is used to indicate a section break (i.e. a change of scene; a viewpoint switch; or some time has passed).

The first line of the next paragraph following such a line space should not be indented.

Asterisks can be used to draw attention to a significant section break but shouldn’t be overused.

Readers will have big problems and potentially get very confused if the layout isn’t clear. Before you get to the editing stage with your story, check that the format and layout of your piece is readable and that you have followed all the guidelines on layout.

https://ugc.futurelearn.com/uploads/fil ... Layout.pdf

and interesting free down load

https://prowritingaid.com/en/Landing/Eb ... ium=ebook1

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:24 pm 
Team Leader

It's an accepted convention that is how English prose and dialogue is laid out. Very occasionally, if a conversation is quickfire, two people might speak and it be part of the same paragraph, but in normal, grammatically correct English, new speaker = new paragraph.

The reason it's confusing (even if the pieces of dialogue are tagged) is that it's a convention used in almost all books and much fanfic (basically, most literature that has been written to regular English grammatical standards), and so people are used to reading it set out this way their whole lives. Just as we are used to sentences starting with capital letters and ending in periods, just as we expect an opening bracket or parenthesis to have a matching closing one, just as there are standard ways of spelling the language. Sure, you can ditch those conventions, but you will confuse people and put them off. You can be as good a storyteller as you like, but iff yu rite lik dis, people will struggle to follow. The conventions surrounding punctuation and paragraphing of dialogue are just the same. They're there for clarify of communication. Usually, the people who get away with changing that are literary geniuses writing literary fiction. For the most part, fanfic ain't the place for it ;)

(One of those bonuses of paragraphing correctly is that, if you have only two speakers, you don't need to tag every piece of dialogue. It becomes obvious who is saying which line. This is also why sometimes people don't tag every piece of dialogue. If there are two speakers, and the paragraph changes, assume the speaker changes.)

I think the easiest way to explain is by example, so I just grabbed the closest handful of books I could find (and one from my kindle) which contained dialogue and grabbed a picture of a relatively dialogue heavy section in each to illustrate. I'm not very good with Imgur, so I'm just posting the link to a post that contains all of them, I think, I hope... https://imgur.com/gallery/ZnQ7Q

(If you're wondering, the books are Pegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffrey, Yes Prime Minister by Jonathan Lynn and Anthony Jay, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, The Hinge Factor by Erik Durschmied, Grave Witch by Kalayna Price, The Falklands Conflict by Dobson, Miller and Payne, and The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson (not necessarily in that order). There's no rhyme or reason other than that they were the nearest books I could find that had relatively large chunks of dialogue; fiction both realistic and not, non-fiction, both American and British writers, all published traditionally in either tree or ebook. I'll be the first to say that it's a fairly random selection! :blush: But the convention remains the same throughout :))

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:45 pm 
Probie

I really don't think getting into a thorough discussion about writing styles is going to work out... I understand that there may be an "accepted" way of writing, but I've been writing the same way for years.

I'm not really sure if it even matters or not, when I read it, it makes sense to me... Then again, that could be because I physically wrote the stories... I just happen to like that style of writing and find it clear cut and easy to follow...

Don't mean to disappoint people when it comes to writing the way I do... It's a habit and it probably won't ever break... So, yeah... Sorry :/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:16 pm 
Team Leader

At the end of the day, no one can force you to change, and I doubt anyone would try - just be aware that it is non-standard (as you can see from those examples), and may confuse your readers/lose you some readers/lead to getting feedback from people that what you're doing isn't grammatically correct. (Does paragraphing count as grammar? I'm not sure :th_uhoh2:) We have conventions for a reason, and storytelling is communication. If you're not communicating well or clearly, your story doesn't get told as well as it could be. It damages your story.

But... yeah, when push comes to shove, it's up to you :confusion-shrug: no one's twisting your arm here.

(Believe me, bad habits can be broken if you want to break them. Most of us who've been writing for any length of time will develop weird writing tics sooner or later, or have to train ourselves out of bad beginner habits. It's absolutely doable. The question is only really if you want to make that effort. If you don't? You don't. That's up to you. All anyone else can do is give you the information.)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:35 pm 
Director's Secretary

Sazzy260 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

Tony smiled. "Hi, Abs."

"Hey, Tony, what's up?"

"Hey, what's up?"

I'm going to go with Phoenix on that one. The convention is there for a reason. I also recommend using dialogue tags that identify the speakers explicitly unless there's a very distinctive difference in their manner of speech that is immediately recognizable. Even then, some dialogue tags will be helpful. Clarity makes it easier for people to follow your work.

As I said, conventions are there for a reason, again, primarily clarity. It's also what most people are expecting.

I won't read anything where the dialogue runs together. Too much work. I read MILLIONS of words each year. I also write more than 100,000 words a year, sometimes a lot more.

When I am not writing, I read the equivalent of 3 or 4 books each week, sometimes as many as a book a day. I love to read good slash, but if any piece of writing is full of spelling or grammatical errors, homophones repeatedly misused, or is hard to read b/c it uses non standard punctuation and/or formatting, I will not bother.

It tells me that the person writing isn't ready for/doesn't care about the craft of writing. The craft requires a certain attention to detail and respect for the reader. If a person refuses to learn these things, they aren't worth reading. I have a lot to read, a lot to write, and other things to do. If you want to play in the big times (and there are several pro grade writers on this site) you will ask for help/work with a beta/take a class/read writing guides, preferably all of the above.

Please note that I had to learn this stuff when I first started writing. It is hard. It is annoying. It is necessary.

I don't mean to be hostile, and I know this comes off as dismissive and hostile. It's not meant to be. I'm expressing in my frank way exactly what most educated readers will think, but may not tell you. I am being clear about it so there aren't any misunderstandings. I like you. I want to see your writing succeed. I want to see people read your writing.

The writing rules DO apply to you, however. Ignore them at your peril.

Peace and all the best in your writing.

Again, welcome.

Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:10 pm 
Probie

link: My Fanfictions
Wow, now you got me to think if germans write a different way as I couldn't find anything wrong on the first glance with saz' style and I also find it hard to read a lot of dialogue with only two people but no distinction between them other than that the lines switch each time.

But I think you just mean the fact that you don't start a new direct speech part in the same line as the last one. I always paraphraze my dialogues and end them with "xzy said/pleaded/whatever verb fits but then I continue in the next line with a new direct speech part (mostly the response of the other character).

Still I will now look up some german books if there are written also the english way. interesting topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Sazzy260 wrote:
I really don't think getting into a thorough discussion about writing styles is going to work out... I understand that there may be an "accepted" way of writing, but I've been writing the same way for years.

I'd say 99% of writing (in English) is being a student of literature and the English language in general and all of the conventions related to it. 1% is just you being awesome and STORYTELLING and stuff. It's a big 1%, yeah. But a writer is always a student first and foremost. You've got to learn the rules first before you can break them.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 am 
Team Leader

Belial wrote:
Wow, now you got me to think if germans write a different... Still I will now look up some german books if there are written also the english way. interesting topic.

I've never read fiction in German, but I do know that languages have different punctuation conventions for dialogue. The languages I have seen fiction/dialogue in do use the convention of new speaker = new paragraph, but my knowledge isn't remotely exhaustive! I have seen this convention in use in Slavic languages, I think in French?? definitely in Hebrew and in Korean, which is a fairly diverse selection :rofl: (I don't speak or read Korean! I just happened to see a story in Korean in one of 'my' pairings and the summary was in English so I didn't realise till after I'd opened it, but dialogue wise, it was set out very similar to English.) In my experience, punctuation varies more than paragraphing, but I'd be really interested to know what, if anything, you find out about German conventions.

Aside: I've always wondered what happens in languages where there's no grammatical gender even in pronouns, so that there's no differentiation between he and she. How do you tag speech? I imagine they must use proper names a lot more, like slash writers tend to since you can't differentiate between he and he, but I've never met someone who writes fiction in those languages, so I'm just guessing.

K9Lasko wrote:
You've got to learn the rules first before you can break them.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 am 
Probie

I will try to find out something about the conventions.

In japanese, you have no way to distinguish if a person someone is talking about is male or female. And since they are mostly calling others by their surname you don't really know before you actually meet them if your conversation partner doesn't tell you the gender. (I don't speak japanese either but I have a fandom and in a forum of this fandom it was explained why one character thought that another character she hadn't met yet was a girl, when it was really a boy).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 am 
Director's Secretary

Belial wrote:
I will try to find out something about the conventions.

In japanese, you have no way to distinguish if a person someone is talking about is male or female. And since they are mostly calling others by their surname you don't really know before you actually meet them if your conversation partner doesn't tell you the gender. (I don't speak japanese either but I have a fandom and in a forum of this fandom it was explained why one character thought that another character she hadn't met yet was a girl, when it was really a boy).

If you Google rules of punctuation or punctuation guide, I suspect many guides will come up. I did that a lot when I first started. Sometimes the guides seemed confusing, so I read more than one.

Then I got a beta, then a second one... and I learned a TON from working with them and we became good friends. I still work with both of them today, though I don't need the punctuation part of their input as much anymore. Now they tell me if the story works for them and remind me which season a particular event happened, etc. When the rules are new to you, a good beta is someone who has expertise about things like punctuation and grammar. As you probably know, betas can have everything from expertise proof reading and finding errors of various kind, to assessing for readability and/or expertise in a particular fandom. One reason it is good to work with more than one person, if you can find them, is that people see different things.

punctuation and formatting:

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/

https://www.thoughtco.com/writing-story ... ue-1857652

http://firstmanuscript.com/format-dialogue/

A beta would also tell you things like:

Online, we don't usually indent new paragraphs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:05 pm 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
I think the no indentation online thing is simply because the Tab key takes you out of the posting window instead of indents your line. :)

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:09 pm 
Team Leader

You're right, Teri - the lack of indents is, afaik, a direct result of a lot of online communication either using tab to mean something different (move to the next dialogue box) or ignoring indents, even when they're not made with the tab key.

I can put as many spaces at the front of my paragraph as I like, but the forum will either ignore them or strip them out. I put a bunch of them at the start of this paragraph (if you quote the message, that may be apparent), but the forum software will just ignore them.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 pm 
Probie

Yes, a Beta reader would be really helpful for me, one more reason to join this forum.
If anyone's interested in doing this for me, it would be great.

in html, it is difficult to so indents, I think you have to work with tables with no border visible or something like that. propebly also modifying the css-code for it. bb-code also doesn't habe any feature for indents, but I haven't needed them yet in any story or document I posted online.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 pm 
Probie

Okay well... I took a break from reading posts on the forum for the past couple days and focused on writing -- I took some advice from here, and about half way through Chapter five of Late Night Confessions, I edited my writing style completely.

Dialog still states who is talking in each paragraph (with actions of course) and, I've broken the paragraphs down to each speaker... So, hopefully this will appease everyone, because I still refuse to write single-line paragraphs without acknowledging who said what lines :L