NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Bizarre Feedback!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:49 pm 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
She was the first person I really got to know here. I actually met her in Boston once.

That's why Truly Great Madness was my tribute to her. It's the story she asked me to write.

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:19 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I am always sad that I joined too late to meet Pam.

Blackmailing someone about wanting to finish reading a story before you die is... just unacceptable. Being disappointed that you're not going to get to read the end of the story is one thing, but putting that on an author is just not cool. Especially on an author who's writing for free and for fun, not for profit. I think when people are providing fiction (and lots of it!) for free, it's damn rude to complain about WIPs anyway, but emotional blackmail is just not right.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:47 pm 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
That makes me...angry.

Every single person who reads and/or writes fanfiction and WIPs at that should accept the fact that anyone could die at anytime and there's a very good chance that you or the writer may die before something you're reading or writing is finished. I've accepted that my WIP folder is going to be full of unfinished work. If you take a chance and read a WIP, accept that the writer may not finish it and that's the chance you take. I bet a lot of WIPs posted out there are because the writers died before they finished, fanfiction or not. It's a reality of the world.

I have a terrible feeling I'm going to die young. It's a fear I live with every day. It's the main reason why I don't post any of my fics before they're completed. It's the main reason I rarely read WIPs. Partly because I'm afraid the author won't finish for whatever reason and partly because I'm afraid I'll die before it's completed, if it ever gets completed. That's not on the author, that's on me. I made the choice. I've accepted the risks inherent. I even sent my SeSa to Sherry before I did the final proofread just in case I dropped dead before SeSa was over and I wanted her to have something to post so no one was left hanging. Yes, I might be a little paranoid about it.

For that matter, if you're reading a completed story, there's a chance you're going to die before you finish it. Given, it's probably not a high chance, but no one ever knows when they're going to die and no one should expect someone else to operate on their timetable.

That's just...disgusting on a level I never considered.

My stories:
Fanfiction.net
AO3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:02 am 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
One of my favorite authors on TtH becuzitswrong died September 18 of this year. It broke my heart because he seemed like a bright guy and he was just in his early 50s when he had a heart attack mowing the lawn. He was the writer of one of my favorite stories. Which will therefore sadly never be finished.

I will say this: I would NOT have missed the pleasure of his writing for the perfection of having the ending, even though it actually ended on a major cliff hanger... his main character was literally in mid air without a parachute... If I knew it was unfinished I would still read it... and I will recommend it to folk who love Buffy crossovers because it's a good one. For a while it was the most recommended story on tth. Not sure if that is still true, but if not, it's close. That kind of storytelling should not be lost because the author doesn't finish. Frankly, I'm hoping his nephew (who gave us the news) will someday pass along the draft chapters we knew he had started when he came back to the story just weeks before his death. But what happens, happens.

I had the several years of watching him craft this story. I know he struggled with writer's block, something I also did.

I wouldn't have missed it anymore than I would have missed the five years of love i had from the love of my life though that leaves my story 'unfinished' because he died and over 20 years later I never did a lot of the the things we had planned.

Just as people listen to unfinished symphonies, there's a value to having great work. So I don't worry about not finishing in case of death. I have no control over that. Statistically, I'm unlikely to die soon (longevity runs in the family, I'm genetically well mixed and have no recessive genes for serious diseases expressing themselves due to a small gene pool, I don't do a dangerous job, I have health insurance and I don't smoke) but also statistically, it's clear that random crap happens. Someone could hit me on my bike, or bomb my city.

I do worry about leaving my readers hanging b/c of my own procrastination/writer's block, but I struggle with it and have no plans of leaving anything unfinished... eventually.

As for the person who told me he was dying... i am not mad, though i was disturbed. Yes, it *was* a lot of pressure, but I personally didn't feel truly guilty for not finishing, though I do feel sorry he didn't get to read my story. I know in the larger scheme of things, my story was probably not a life and death matter to him. I did what I could, I wrote what I wrote, and I am truly powerless over when people die... but if I could have written faster, I would have and I wouldn't have felt bad about it... It would have been my gift to a dying 'friend'. yes, I gave my writing freely and owe him nothing, but in his case he was a regular and thoughtful reviewer, who didn't owe me reviews either. His POLITE prodding motivated rather than annoyed me, though it was a big deal (and made me really sad) to learn he was dying. I think the TONE of a request makes all the difference.

"You lazy bitch, you better finish this" would NOT have motivated me.
"You know how much i love your work, be a love and try to finish it before I die, please" definitely would have.

Blue

Note: edited.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:47 am 
Team Leader

Title: Queen of Torture and Death
Name: Lia
Aliases: dnalia, DAn creature
Flag: Image
Aaaaaand another one of these lovely comments:

Quote:
Wow, another story with McGee being in distress. I wonder if you'll ever come to finish this, even update regularly. I love your stories, but you have this bad habit of letting them unfinished for months, even years ! You have so many of them. I don't know if you even can imagine how frustrating it is for a reader to find a beloved story unfinished, left in a cliffhanger.. For God's sake, why don't some writers start posting without finishing, or at least nearing to the end of their fanfic ? How about you finish Down Among The Dead first ? By the way, Happy New Year. RL does of course has the priority but think about your readers too, OK ? Take care.

:banghead:

Click on the banner for the story

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:08 am 
Team Leader

I'd be inclined to say something like:

"I don't know if you can imagine how frustrating it is for a writer to work really hard, for free, in your spare time, and then get people whining because it's not fast enough. And even more frustrating when readers assume that writers aren't also readers and haven't been on both sides of the equation. When you pay me to write, then you get to complain if I write too slow. In the meantime, feel free to not start anything that's marked as a WIP, and if you do start something that's marked as a WIP, then that's your choice and your responsibility, so quit moaning about it, you total and complete idiot."

I may have lost patience with this behaviour of late... :banghead:

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:14 am 
Team Leader

Much better than my response. I've pretty much had it with these anons who bitch about updates but can't be bothered to sign in so I can explain to them what's going on.

I basically said that at any given time an author might be struggling and fanfic is the last thing on their minds. Anons should consider that before they criticize.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:13 am 
Deputy Director

Title: Mistress of McGiva
Name: Sherry
Okay, so I have a regular reader who has now taken it upon himself to review all my old fics (which, hey, that's great!) & they're mostly nice reviews, like sometimes overly nice, but now he's taken it upon himself to ascribe new genres to all my fics? And it's all because of my coining of the term "flangst" or "fluffy angst," so now he's coming up with all these words that I don't even know WHAT they're supposed to mean & it's like, you're not funny? And it's like, you can't really be mad at reviews, but I'm getting a bit tired of these.

I'm done. Just had to vent, lol.

Banner made by the fabulous musicnotes093! Thank you, Shaine! :kisscheek:
Avatar made by McMhuirich! Thank you, Linda! :-*

Latest story:
Someone Who Understands (FR13, Gibbs & Fornell friendship)

and

The Only Answer (FR13, fluffy McGiva)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 am 
Director

I wonder if it's the same guy who's been reading my McGiva stories. If so, I had some strangely irritated reviews from him before (again, about genre which is strange), but he's also given some pretty good ones.

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am 
Director's Secretary

I might write something like:

It's people like you that give me writer's block. If I could have finished my story, I would have. I love supportive readers, but I don't write because people with no clue about my reality harangue me. I write when time and my muse allow.

OR

You want me to write and post only what's complete? You mean, I should do what a PAID author does? Slave away alone and without encouragement in my garret with no idea if my ideas work? Interaction is the coin of the realm, and unfinished work is part of the risk you take when you read free stuff. Get over yourself. If you're bored, go write something and maybe you'll get it!

If you want perfect and complete, buy a book!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am 
Director's Secretary

I refuse to write anywhere that anonymous people can post reviews. If you're gonna be an arse, you have to be an identified arse. I find it cuts down on idiots a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 am 
Team Leader

I agree about the writer's block. Those kinds of people don't realise how dispiriting a review like that is.

I started on FFN, but I post there less and less, and people like that are part of the reason. Anon or not, reader entitlement is huge on that site. (That one reviewer, if I could, I'd block her IP address so she couldn't read my stories, that's how sick of her attitude I am.)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:21 am 
Director

Besides here, ff.net is the only other place I post. I haven't had too many readers annoyed by my posting, but I usually only post when the story is finished (mostly because, in the past, I would post my WIPs here and got the feedback that helped the story progress). I do have a semi-regular troll. I'm assuming it's the same person because the "reviews" are incompetently insulting in the same way. :) But I do have some regular reviewers who are anonymous, I guess because they don't want to make an account, and I enjoy their reviews quite a bit.

Actually, the way this person writes, it seems like it's the same one, Lia. Are they using the same name or is it just a guest over and over?

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:26 pm 
Senior Field Agent

DNAchemLia wrote:
Aaaaaand another one of these lovely comments:

Quote:
Wow, another story with McGee being in distress. I wonder if you'll ever come to finish this, even update regularly. I love your stories, but you have this bad habit of letting them unfinished for months, even years ! You have so many of them. I don't know if you even can imagine how frustrating it is for a reader to find a beloved story unfinished, left in a cliffhanger.. For God's sake, why don't some writers start posting without finishing, or at least nearing to the end of their fanfic ? How about you finish Down Among The Dead first ? By the way, Happy New Year. RL does of course has the priority but think about your readers too, OK ? Take care.

:banghead:

The random "By the way, Happy New Year" had me rolling. :rofl: Is this person for real?

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 pm 
Team Leader

The tone makes me think that person honestly doesn't know how crappy they came off and how entitled and... *censored* they were being.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:59 pm 
Deputy Director

I think it is the same guy, Teri. He's generally fine, but sometimes i'm like, are you serious? He also really hates Tony & I wish those people wouldn't bash him in my reviews because I actually like him...

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm 
Team Leader

Yes, it's the same one, and she responded. :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:07 pm 
Team Leader

The entitled readers are just part of the issue on FFN, though the one I find the most annoying. The awkward posting system and poor tagging is a pain, the ratings are poorly defined and inconsistently policed, and the ongoing issues just posting things is another factor.

This said, the horribly entitled readers are, for me, the big one. I put a note on my profile months ago about WIPs, but people just ignore it and think it's okay to have a winge. I just amended it to point out I'm not getting paid to write. At this stage, I am past caring if anyone's precious feefees are hurt, if it puts off a few of the entitled sods, I will take that bargain!

Lia: What did The Annoying One have to say? Dare I ask??

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm 
Team Leader

Quote:
I'm sorry that you took my review badly.. Like I already wrote many times before, I love your stories, I like their supernatural side and I love your writing style.. If I wanted you to update your fanfics more regularly, that's because, like many other of your readers, I get captured in the story and get disappointed when they're left in a cliffhanger for an unknown long time.. You must confess that you have many unfinished interesting ones.. And I always write that I know that RL problems have the priority. I'm also sorry that you're having difficult times. You can imagine that everyone has difficulties in their lives-including me-and I've always acknowledged yours. I hope that your problems will be resolved rapidly. Fanfics are a way for me to unwind. So please understand me when I write that I would like the stories to be updated more or less regularly.. This said, I'm also happy to learn that this story is already complete. Know that I'll always look for your fanfics and continue to greatly enjoy them. Take care.

:sigh:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 pm 
Director

While frustrating, this may be her way of complimenting you, like the reviewer I have whose reviews are sometimes nothing more than a grammar/spelling correction. :) I know she enjoys my writing and all her reviews are not like that, but sometimes, I wish she'd say something else. ;D

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm 
Team Leader

I think that person has a real disconnect in how such a review comes over. Intent is besides the point when the actual result is badgering someone (s)he has no right to make any demands on. Saying "I meant it as a compliment" is just... :banghead: People just don't realise how hard writing is and how dispiriting a review like that can be.

FWIW, Lia, I don't think you're in the wrong. She's missed the point.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Last edited by flootzavut on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm 
Director's Secretary

One thing I try to remember when I get a review that bugs me is that the review often says more about the reviewer and their state of mind than it does about me or my work. It's about them. Sometimes ENTIRELY about them.

Then I have an easier time not giving them rent free space in my head.

*yes*, this is an imperfect strategy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:38 pm 
Deputy Director

It makes sense, though. Like when people use a review to rant about a character or a pairing - that has nothing to do with your writing, most of the time.

Latest story:

and

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm 
Team Leader

I think for the most part I just find it annoying when you get a review and it's neither complimentary nor helpful, nor even a review at all sometimes. I get excited about having a review and then... "You don't update fast enough!" Me: :gibbssmack: :rolleyes:

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 am 
Director's Secretary

Aliases: Fauxcynic (for my very first NCIS fic!)
link: My fanfic
DNAchemLia wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry that you took my review badly.. Like I already wrote many times before, I love your stories, I like their supernatural side and I love your writing style.. If I wanted you to update your fanfics more regularly, that's because, like many other of your readers, I get captured in the story and get disappointed when they're left in a cliffhanger for an unknown long time.. You must confess that you have many unfinished interesting ones.. And I always write that I know that RL problems have the priority. I'm also sorry that you're having difficult times. You can imagine that everyone has difficulties in their lives-including me-and I've always acknowledged yours. I hope that your problems will be resolved rapidly. Fanfics are a way for me to unwind. So please understand me when I write that I would like the stories to be updated more or less regularly.. This said, I'm also happy to learn that this story is already complete. Know that I'll always look for your fanfics and continue to greatly enjoy them. Take care.

So her response, in a nutshell, was "yeah-I-know BUT I want I want I want!" In other words, she minimized to the point of completely devaluing and ignoring all you had to say because no matter what, she wants.

I was making my way down to say that it just stuck me, how she SAYS she gets it, then contradicts herself in her tone of "no matter what you have to say, it's not really of much concern, so get on with it," when I came upon Blue nailing it that such reviews are often about the reviewer, not the story. YES! Sherry echoed it, too.

Reviewers just don't get how a demanding review can strike us after we've finally managed to post after swimming upstream against whatever our particular RL floods are, and the more I'm at this, the less I'm likely to even try explaining - not only are such commenters not worth your using up even more of your limited time, but someone so insensitive to send a self-absorbed complaint (instead of, e.g., expressing hope for more) is not likely to suddenly see the light.

And Sarah - I'm still with ya; the entitlement is really awful, but I think I bashed my head against that wall so long I'm out of any more energy for trying to get people to see why it's so wrong. I'm delighted you're there to keep up the fight!

Hammer: I might, but I'd keep my mouth shut.

Margaret Dumont, Groucho Marx, the Cocoanuts, 1929

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 am 
Team Leader

Thanks, y'all :)

I know I have a lot of unfinished fics. I really do want to finish them, I just have no time during the semester (which has basically already started since I'm setting up web pages and grade books and all that crap right now). Plus the other crap I'm dealing with. I just get really frustrated with the continued reviews from this same person (who never signs in but uses the same name).

I'm tempted to just stick with my Sherlock fic for awhile. Maybe she'll go away ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:14 pm 
Director's Secretary

Two somewhat similar reviews arrived this morning (and pretty typical of the prods I get generally updating) - both signed. They make an interesting comparison.

First one for SESA chap 1, posted 5 days ago with updates promised every few days, but just this AM could finally get around to posting Chap 2. First review, from a pretty frequent fanfic writer and occasional reviewer: "This is fun, and I loved the last line. You sure do like to keep us waiting though!"

From an other, older story which dragged on until a currentWIP sort of re-started my efforts to explain WTF is up with TIVA, from a 4-year member one who has never posted a story : "I do wish you would finish this."

The same sentiment, at heart, but the first, by the writer, is done with light humor and an appreciation for the work offered so far. ;) The second feels like entitlement embodied in a person standing at the door, arms folded and toe tapping. :sigh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm 
Team Leader

In a nutshell. :hug2col: I really wish readers could understand just how disheartening this kind of thing is.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:05 pm 
Director's Secretary

Oh, my! The cherry on the sundae: this PM was awaiting me just now - should we make this a "response challenge" and send her the most pithy idea? The entire PM (and I won't even pull out my red pen):

Question for you; you said that you would be posting every couple of days? Six days is every couple of days? Hmmmmm!!! Sounds strange to me. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Okay, gang: thoughts? And no, no stories published by, and no previous reviews or comments from, this correspondent, either. To make ii worse, I did NOT say "every couple days" but "every few days," which should allow me a wee bit more time! (You'd think she might base her accusations on what's actually been promised, at least.)She sayd she is "looking forward to hearing from [me]!"

Maybe she wants an explanation? Or maybe even an apology! Bet she isn't expecting an earful. Too bad I don't have the energy to :banghead: anymore...)

ETA: okay, I couldn't wait. My reply: "When you say that you are '[l]ooking forward to hearing from' me, what did you want me to say?"

Last edited by Shywriter on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:10 pm 
Director's Secretary

flootzavut wrote:
In a nutshell. :hug2col: I really wish readers could understand just how disheartening this kind of thing is.

Well, I told her, and we had a bit of convo back & forth. She said she meant no disrespect and I don't think otherwise, but she had a bit of the "yeah but... I WANT" tone discussed above, so who knows if the discussion helped her see from the other side a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm 
Team Leader

I got this one recently:

Quote:
:Like this story a lot and wish you'd add to it immediately. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm 
Team Leader

Someone needs to invent the ability to reach through the computer screen and give someone a slap upside the head. Not a hard one, not Gibbs-slap level, just a wake up call. Alternatively, how about no one is allowed to review until they themselves have written at least 1,500 words of fanfic which they have to post and let people review. Then they might have a clue what it's like.

I think the thing that bugs me most is that it takes so little effort to make a "Want more now!" review into something more respectful and kinder, but so many people just can't be bothered.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
Team Leader

I'm afarid my response was very NSFW. I've been spending too much time with the subversive cross-stitchers lately :lol2:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:05 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Title: Three-toed sloth
link: My Fanfiction.Net page
link: My blog
Shywriter wrote:
DNAchemLia wrote:
Quote:

So her response, in a nutshell, was "yeah-I-know BUT I want I want I want!" In other words, she minimized to the point of completely devaluing and ignoring all you had to say because no matter what, she wants.

I also love how she thinks she speaks for "many of your readers." Like she just KNOWS that they all must think and feel exactly the same way she does. :rolleyes:

__________________________________________________________________________________

My Blog- Trixie Belden and other YA books
My fanfiction.net page

"Child, you're forgiven and loved..."

__________________________________________________________________________________

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:17 pm 
Team Leader

I'm about ready to say f*** it and quit. It's beyond irritating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:44 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Title: Three-toed sloth
link: My Fanfiction.Net page
link: My blog
Don't quit your stories, but yeah...I wouldn't bother responding to her. Or even reading her reviews. I wish ff.net had a block feature.

My Blog- Trixie Belden and other YA books
My fanfiction.net page

"Child, you're forgiven and loved..."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:54 pm 
Senior Field Agent

I'll second that; don't quit Lia! Write at your leisure. Don't let anybody steal the joy from this hobby. And that's what it is.. a hobby. Imagine if someone was breathing down your neck telling you to cross stitch faster. :lol2: Some folks... I can't even imagine being so forward, demanding updates and such.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:51 am 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
Yeah, please don't quit. I'd miss your stories.

My stories:
Fanfiction.net
AO3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 am 
Director's Secretary

DNAchemLia wrote:
I'm about ready to say f*** it and quit. It's beyond irritating.

I echo everyone else. Please don't. But I *would* share that with your tormentor. They should know they make you feel like quitting. It's not like you couldn't probably get paid to write if you wanted. Some people are just bloody ungrateful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:14 am 
Team Leader

Thanks, y'all. :blush: Sorry to unload here. but it was really getting to me. Too much other crap to deal with right now.

As for telling her, I doubt it would make a difference judging by her last response.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:16 am 
Director's Secretary

I really hate the pit. (that's what we at tth call ff.net. Full title: The Pit of Voles).

One thing I have noticed. People who haven't written anything are the meanest critics. Probably b/c they have no idea just how hurtful they are being and have no idea just how much work is involved or how much of oneself is invested in the stories. Whenever I get a particularly negative review, I go check. If the person in question has never written a single story, I disregard their miserable meanderings as ignorant, clueless prattle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:19 am 
Team Leader

K9Lasko wrote:
And that's what it is.. a hobby. Imagine if someone was breathing down your neck telling you to cross stitch faster. :lol2: Some folks... I can't even imagine being so forward, demanding updates and such.

Yes, this! And Lia, please don't quit, but I echo Blue, it might not be a bad thing to point out to your reviewer that reviews like that have the absolute reverse effect of making you write faster. This kind of harassment is rife in fanfic, and it's just not okay.

You can block people on FFN! It won't stop anon reviews, but it can get rid of those who sign in to badger and harass. If you're signed in, this should take you directly there: https://www.fanfiction.net/account/blocks.php or else go to your account page and the block users menu is the third option down. You can use their pen name, their user ID (available from their profile page) or the URL of their profile page. Once they're blocked, they won't be able to leave reviews (unless they sign out and leave them anonymously) or PM you.

The Pit of Voles is a fairly common nickname for FFN, sadly, and well deserved. If it weren't for the people I know on there who are so techphobic they really can't seem to find their way to AO3, I would probably give up posting there entirely, but I don't want to leave WIPs unfinished. There are some really nice people there, but there are way too many entitled toerags who need a good slap upside the head.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 am 
Team Leader

DeepBlueJoy wrote:
One thing I have noticed. People who haven't written anything are the meanest critics. Probably b/c they have no idea just how hurtful they are being and have no idea just how much work is involved or how much of oneself is invested in the stories. Whenever I get a particularly negative review, I go check. If the person in question has never written a single story, I disregard their miserable meanderings as ignorant, clueless prattle.

I made that observation once on another forum and got a lot of crap for it, but frankly it's true. *points to icon*. 'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:54 am 
Team Leader

I think most non-writers have very little idea whatsoever what writing is like - good or bad.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 pm 
Team Leader

Pretty much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 pm 
Director's Secretary

DeepBlueJoy wrote:

True for those I mentioned a couple days ago, and true over time. Not 100%, I'm sure, but enough that this has been pointed out over the years.

Lia, you're not alone in feeling that urge to quit at times, especially when it just seems no matter how much or how often you post, no matter how much sleep you miss to finish another chapter, it's never enough. But please keep writing at least for yourself, as you can & as you want - we'll all hope that as you do you'll go ahead & post "since it's done anyway ...". ;D Too many people would miss your stories otherwise!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 am 
Director's Secretary

Name: Amber
Aliases: ChibiEarth, Kagome
link: FF.net
link: Website
I got this amusing one a few months back and just never had a chance really to post until now:

Quote:
Curse you and this story. -Goes amuse self with Tiva oneshots to feast upon-...

;D The bizarre thing about this review is on a non-NCIS story, which involves a character death. I'm glad to know this story makes you want to read Tiva. :bwah:

Banner and icon by me. Halloween Icon Fanart credit. (Gone)
What You Never Lost (TMNT)/Saying Goodbye (NCIS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24