NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: General Q&A
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:54 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
Like I said, the only one I know of in that category was short lived. "So you think you can dance?" which is the other one I've heard of didn't have the dancer/non-dancer thing.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
flootzavut wrote:
Like I said, the only one I know of in that category was short lived. "So you think you can dance?" which is the other one I've heard of didn't have the dancer/non-dancer thing.

googled and yes that would have been a great title if it hadn't already been used, but thank you guys I will do something now

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 am 
Director

Q? we know Ziva is Jewish but do we know if she is Orthodox, Reform, or Conservative

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
To my knowledge that was never covered but definitely not Orthodox. I'd guess Reform since she was trained to think herself equal, if not superior, to men.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 pm 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
I'd say Reform as well, but I'd guess definitely not Orthodox.

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm 
Director

Thanks guys you see I would have just gone for Orthodox Jew...

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:49 pm 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
If Ziva was Orthodox, she'd have her head covered all the time and she probably wouldn't be Mossad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm 
Director

PhoenixRising wrote:
If Ziva was Orthodox, she'd have her head covered all the time and she probably wouldn't be Mossad.

See I know nothing which is why I need you guys to help thank you

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 am 
Team Leader

Another one chiming in - no, definitely not Orthodox, IMO. I would guess Reform or similar (if she's practising/observant), or secular/culturally Jewish, which a lot of Israelis are in my experience. Even the secular Israeli Jews I know still usually celebrate Hanukkah, Sukkot, Purim, and don't celebrate Christian festivals.

Ziva canonically celebrates Christmas at least to some extent (.without coercion), which I think some religious/Orthodox/Conservative Christians are not even allowed to do (because although it's largely secularised, it's based on both Christian and pagan underpinnings), so to me that strongly suggests she's decidedly a secular Jew in this respect, and that she couldn't be Orthodox, to my knowledge and understanding.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm 
Senior Field Agent

In the U.K., what do they call the period after an MD graduates from medical school? Or maybe it's before they graduate, basically the period of time before they are a full-blown doctor etc etc...
A residency? A practicum? Not terribly familiar with the terminology here in the US let alone that in the UK.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:38 pm 
Director

Title: DOCTOR!
Aliases: Scurvy Gums Ramona
In the U.S., they're interns after graduation but before they're fully licensed. Residency is in the period before they graduate. ...but then, most of my knowledge comes from TV, like ER and the like. So I suppose I could be wrong, but I think they tried to get those terms right.

I have no idea for the UK.

Click for the story!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 am 
MTAC Technician

Name: Mad
On leaving medical school graduates apply to become junior doctors. They do 2 years Foundation Training then decide on their specialities, the junior doctor phase can last a while before they move up the career ladder.
Medical students can also commit to the armed forces while still at university and have some of their fees paid as long as they sign up for three years.

If you want more details the British Medical Association has some useful stuff at bma.org.uk

Hope that helps.

Banner by the brilliant McSidekick146. Thank you Jennifer!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am 
Senior Field Agent

Thank you for the information!

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
Enthusiastic Fish wrote:
In the U.S., they're interns after graduation but before they're fully licensed. Residency is in the period before they graduate. ...but then, most of my knowledge comes from TV, like ER and the like. So I suppose I could be wrong, but I think they tried to get those terms right.

I have no idea for the UK.

med school US style:

a four year degree is a prerequisite to med school plus MCATs. Better schools require those to be over 30, the closer to 40 the better.

Medical school is four years. Two years of classroom study, two years of clinical 'rotations'.

Then (usually) one does 3-4 years of residency. One is already a doctor at this point, but in order to be fully ready to practice independently, one must do residency. For surgery, residency is usually 5 years or more. General surgery is 5 years, then a sub-specialty such as neurosurgery will require several more years.

There are two types of allopathic medical school. MD schools and DO schools. MDs are what most people think of medical school. DO schools are 'osteopathic' medical schools and the training tends to be a bit more holistic and requires at least some training in osteopathic manipulation. After graduation you're either a DO or an MD.

So you have undergrad, med school, residency (sometimes with an intern year at the beginning) followed by fellowships of various kinds for subspecialties. Then once you're fully trained, you need to become board certified if you want to be taken seriously at the top of the profession. Board certification is not a requirement to practice, but in better practices and especially in big cities, one really needs to become board certified by the board governing their specialty.

In addition to MDs and DOs there are PAs and NPs.

Nurse Practitioners have similar training after nursing school at a graduate level and can do many of the things doctors do including prescribing drugs. Their training includes clinical rotations and a lot more social science that physicians and PAs don't do. NPs require a graduate degree - usually a masters level, but efforts are afoot to make the DNP - doctor of nursing practice -- the universal degree. Prereqs are an RN degree (must have a four year degree in nursing or something else. If you don't have a 4 year nursing degree, you must do the additional classes that are prereqs for NP school including statistics. Most, but not all states require NPs to practice under the supervision (sometimes very loose supervision) of a doctor. Many practice within medical practices or hospitals. Some practice in stand alone offices.

Physician Assistants go through basically 'half' medical school - one clinical year, one year of rotations. Usually the prereqs are similar to med school, nearly all require a 4 year undergrad degree, but the required grades aren't quite as high.

PA and NP are roughly equivalent in terms of what they're allowed to do -- practice medicine with a LIMITED scope of practice. The nursing degree is more 'soft' - NPs tend to do things like family practice, pedes and psych. They seldom end up doing surgical work. PAs often end up assisting in surgery (they tend to do things like harvest veins the surgeon will use to fix the heart). PAs must always practice under the authority of a doctor. Many practice within medical or surgical practices or hospitals.

Unless you commit to military service before your training begins or serve in the National Health Service Corps, you will graduate from medical school with considerable debt. If you leave the NHSC before your committed time is up you will be required to pay them back. I know someone who had to pay for a medical education without the benefit of having a medical salary, not fun! MD/DO debt is somewhere from 100K to 250K depending on how little you can live on and where you go to medical school. PA and NP school are also expensive.

When I was growing up in the Caribbean, you had to have 3 A-levels in 3 sciences or in two sciences and math to go to medical school. No undergrad (BA or BS) degree was required.

A certain number of points were required to get into medical school - each grade was worth a certain number of points. This included certain minimum grades in sciences at O level plus your A-levels. At the time there wasn't a lot of emphasis on doing a lot of volunteering or additional activities outside of academics. You had to have all three sciences, chemistry, physics and biology at least at one level. (if you did two sciences at A-levels, you had to do the other one at O-level. Medical school in the Caribbean was 5 years, not four like the US, and then you became a junior doctor, which basically meant you served as the backbone to the medical service for low pay and long hours. Specialty training was often completed in the UK.

Medical school at the time was free. This system was based on the UK system at the time, but not sure how exactly it followed the British system. It's not free anymore, but if you're a citizen of the countries served by the medical school it's not that expensive. Don't know the current requirements.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:42 am 
Team Leader

Oh, there is definitely a specific word for this which I think is what you're after, Chels, but it's like it's hovering just out of reach in my brain. I know I know it... it will come back to me, I'm sure...

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 am 
Team Leader

Okay, assuming you're writing John Watson (because I'm fairly sure this would have applied when he was a new doctor, but the terminology is different these days), the term you're after is house officer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-reg ... se_officer
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_house_officer

It's different these days, the terminology is different and I think the actual practice may also be different, but the new terminology is really very new (2005) in the grand scheme of things, so if I'm correct in assuming John Watson, then this is the info you want, I am pretty sure. (If not, then check dates and use your best judgement.) Though I should also add that I don't know if there's any difference for military docs. It would be worth checking, though I suspect it wouldn't be that different.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35