NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Betas!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:27 am 
Director's Secretary

Aliases: Fauxcynic (for my very first NCIS fic!)
link: My fanfic
I am short. I am tough. I am BETA! :yesyes:

(And yes, I am silly. Around here, that's a survival skill.)

Hammer: I might, but I'd keep my mouth shut.

Margaret Dumont, Groucho Marx, the Cocoanuts, 1929

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
:rofl:

I'm busy (by my standards...) at the moment, so I wouldn't be much use for anyone who wanted a fast turnaround, but if anyone's still in search and doesn't mind being a bit patient, I'm generally more than happy to beta.

It seems like everyone is sorted right now, but I have more free time on my hands than most, so I'm throwing it out there ;D

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 pm 
Intel Analyst

Name: Shay
link: Dreamwidth Journal
You know you are always welcome to ask me, Chelsea, but I understand if you wanted a different point of view also. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 pm 
Director's Secretary

Sarah, being busy is lifestyle around here, but after a while, it just is a question of prioritizing: as in, I am prioritizing my sanity to do something fun like read fic, instead of doing all the damn work that's piled up on my desk. Well, instead of sleeping, too, but when you're asleep you just can't get enough done. Therefore, if I have to cut something out, sleep is overrated!

See? Easy peasy! :thud:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:48 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Shywriter wrote:
Sarah, being busy is lifestyle around here, but after a while, it just is a question of prioritizing: as in, I am prioritizing my sanity to do something fun like read fic, instead of doing all the damn work that's piled up on my desk. Well, instead of sleeping, too, but when you're asleep you just can't get enough done. Therefore, if I have to cut something out, sleep is overrated!

Have you SEEN my desk. And I'm not even an attorney. :rofl: I'm going on a five day vacation and I'm getting night sweats about it.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 am 
Director's Secretary

K9Lasko wrote:
Shywriter wrote:

Have you SEEN my desk. And I'm not even an attorney. :rofl: I'm going on a five day vacation and I'm getting night sweats about it.

Go and enjoy!

Chelsea - take it from a certified control freak - start working NOW to arrange your absence and you'll be better than fine! In 2009, for the first time in about 10 yrs (and the FIRST in this job), I took a vacation that took me out of the country for nearly 2 wks. It took me the first 3 days to relax, stop obsessively checking email and *enjoy* the surroundings. I've been lucky enough to do the same for every summer since, and by the 3d year, as soon as the wheels of the first plane left the first tarmac I was out like a light, and the office was light years out of my thoughts - and the sky didn't fall in!

Sure, there is email if an emergency occurs, and I've had a couple "emergency" overseas calls, but for the most part it all works out. ;D Seriously - in this kind of work you NEED to unplug occasionally, and no one will look out for you but you! Just be sure those who need it have your email address, and check it a couple times each day (an hour before the end of your office's business day is good). Also, be sure those (fewer people) who *really* need it have your cell -- and screen your calls judiciously. Assuming this is vacation - if you make yourself wholly available during this time, people may assume you ARE wholly available and take advantage. That's why screening - and voicemail - is your friend.

If you are going somewhere there is a time change, you might be able to use that to your advantage. E.g., with a 7 hr time difference I could go out during the day, sightsee & all to my fill, and as needed could communicate with clients/office when others were starting to wind down for the evening. 8-) ). Even an "extra" hour at the start or the end of the day could help. I was also lucky that most of my clients & coworkers use email as their preferred contact method; it's perfect for staying in touch - if you aren't there already, can you nudge them toward contacting you that way? As long as you can assure yourself they can reach you that way if you are ABSOLUTELY indespensible for some reason, you can relax more readily - honest!

I know this is off topic and too much lecturing, but I spent way too many years tied to the office 24/7 and hate to see you head down that road for too long. As I understand it, that is much more an American malady than anything, and it's a condition others will sniff out and use against you. Bottom line, if you would be more distracted than relaxed by cutting the connection, arrange for yourself at least for a few good stretches of time by planning check in times and see if someone in your office whom you trust will get your back with that (mail check, phone messages, gossip updates, etc) with whatever method makes you feel better - email, text, phone - and ENJOY!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:16 am 
Team Leader

Unfortunately the reality of chronic illness is that one fun activity can = 'busy' and me done for the day... or sometimes the week if I'm not careful.

At the moment I'm taking on the challenge of trying to really improve my Hebrew, and half an hour of Hebrew = me done for a good day and a half :shocked: but I enjoy it, so I'm just trying to figure out ways round it.

I'm usually a pretty fast beta, but at the moment I'd worry about letting someone down if I was on a deadline.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Shywriter wrote:
K9Lasko wrote:
Shywriter wrote:

Go and enjoy!

Chelsea - take it from a certified control freak - start working NOW to arrange your absence and you'll be better than fine! In 2009, for the first time in about 10 yrs (and the FIRST in this job), I took a vacation that took me out of the country for nearly 2 wks. It took me the first 3 days to relax, stop obsessively checking email and *enjoy* the surroundings. I've been lucky enough to do the same for every summer since, and by the 3d year, as soon as the wheels of the first plane left the first tarmac I was out like a light, and the office was light years out of my thoughts - and the sky didn't fall in!

Sure, there is email if an emergency occurs, and I've had a couple "emergency" overseas calls, but for the most part it all works out. ;D Seriously - in this kind of work you NEED to unplug occasionally, and no one will look out for you but you! Just be sure those who need it have your email address, and check it a couple times each day (an hour before the end of your office's business day is good). Also, be sure those (fewer people) who *really* need it have your cell -- and screen your calls judiciously. Assuming this is vacation - if you make yourself wholly available during this time, people may assume you ARE wholly available and take advantage. That's why screening - and voicemail - is your friend.

If you are going somewhere there is a time change, you might be able to use that to your advantage. E.g., with a 7 hr time difference I could go out during the day, sightsee & all to my fill, and as needed could communicate with clients/office when others were starting to wind down for the evening. 8-) ). Even an "extra" hour at the start or the end of the day could help. I was also lucky that most of my clients & coworkers use email as their preferred contact method; it's perfect for staying in touch - if you aren't there already, can you nudge them toward contacting you that way? As long as you can assure yourself they can reach you that way if you are ABSOLUTELY indespensible for some reason, you can relax more readily - honest!

I know this is off topic and too much lecturing, but I spent way too many years tied to the office 24/7 and hate to see you head down that road for too long. As I understand it, that is much more an American malady than anything, and it's a condition others will sniff out and use against you. Bottom line, if you would be more distracted than relaxed by cutting the connection, arrange for yourself at least for a few good stretches of time by planning check in times and see if someone in your office whom you trust will get your back with that (mail check, phone messages, gossip updates, etc) with whatever method makes you feel better - email, text, phone - and ENJOY!

This is great advice. Thank you. Speaking of.... Should probably get back to it. This is my last day until Thursday next week! Woo hoo! I'm labeling all my files with sticky notes. I decided not to get my email hooked up to my cell phone. Instead, I'll check via web browser every AM and PM. If it's an emergency, they can call my cell phone. But honestly, "emergencies" can be dealt with by my partner-in-crime here. I'm more worried about the towers of discovery docs that need to be put together and organized. Always seems to be the last thing we get to, so it's a frantic scramble when we get that "good faith" letter. :rofl:

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:32 pm 
Director's Secretary

Yay, Chels! You can do it! Sounds like you're completely set up to get away. :confetti: Enjoy!! (and will you avoid the monsoons headed your way? Hope that's an added bonus!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:05 pm 
Senior Field Agent

It's supposed to hit tomorrow, but now very north of us. Tomorrow is my flight though. No tropical storms or hurricanes all summer, yet the ONE day I am flying will be the day we get the tropical storm. Oh, Florida. I hope it doesn't get too bad. I don't want to come home to a mess. Plus, Raju will be here alone w/ a sitter coming in.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:41 am 
Director's Secretary

Fly safe! Hope everything simmers down. Once this one got past Cuba & it was clear we'd have only high tides & not a hurricane, I haven't been watching too closely. At least if they let you up & away you'll be past it in no time.

And I'm sure that Raju will keep you place in shape for you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:49 pm 
Team Leader

Okay, this is one of those requests that I'm sure loads of people would have zero interest in, but just in case someone is feeling like a glutton for punishment. This would involve a LOT of reading and also quite a lot of figuring out and keeping track of various storylines.

In my Lie to NCIS-verse (as seen in my banner!), I am trying to figure out the exact order of the next group of one-shots, and where there are gaps in the storyline I need to shore up. So it involves at least having a rough idea of what has already been posted (currently about 57K) and reading a bunch (currently 8 or 9 finished) oneshots, plus helping me figure out the through-lines of the story and what order the stories work best in. Which probably sounds kinda weird, but I rarely write in order, so sometimes it's a little like doing a jigsaw puzzle without having the picture on the box to follow...

It is a crossover with Lie to me, although I have tried to make it accessible for the fandom-blind as much as possible, so being familiar with that series is not a prerequisite - I have hooked a few people into watching the show but I also have regular readers who've never seen even one episode. However, I know some people hate crossovers, so that may be a deal breaker. It also involves two different couples, a little smut, and flirting (not all intentional :rofl:)/mild romance/UST/angsy between members of the same sex, which I realise is also going to put some people off.

If anyone is still reading and thinks that sounds interesting... let me know ;D

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 pm 
Team Leader

Anyone out there who watches Suits and would be willing to beta a little mildly Marvey-ish ficlet, please let me know. Or failing that, anyone who doesn't watch but would be willing to read it at least for grammar and stuff :rofl:

GNU Terry Pratchett