All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Harry Potter!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:42 pm 
Administrator

Title: Goddess of Gab
Name: Barbara
link: Author Board
link: Story Board Profile
Ah, I might also dislike Ginny if I watched the films. But I've only read the books. I've put off the films because I've heard of so many changes that were made. I think it would piss me off.

I LOVE Luna. She is so much like me. :lol2:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Quote:
Today is my day to review dead threads that interest me... mostly because everyone else seems to have developed a life, so I'm entertaining myself while I should be editing and prepping my long overdue chapter for tth.

Life? What life? :lol2:

Quote:
I think he'd roll with the punches and just 'give her her head' as they say in equestrian circles -- which in her case is a good thing, sorry, I know she's not a horse!!!

I love this. Very fitting.

The first movie is on TV right now, so I have it on.

Have to admit I always liked Snape in the books (and movies). And kooky Dumbledore. And Luna, too.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:04 pm 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
iheartGibbs wrote:
Ah, I might also dislike Ginny if I watched the films. But I've only read the books. I've put off the films because I've heard of so many changes that were made. I think it would piss me off.

I LOVE Luna. She is so much like me. :lol2:

I didn't dislike Ginny because of the movies. I disliked her/thought she was babyishly pining for her 'older' crush... in the first book she has a decent part of and it went downhill from there. The movie just capped it off.

As for the movies, I just take them as 'abridged' versions, and as abridged versions go, most of the movies were actually pretty good. (hated whichever movie it was that had umbridge, but I pretty much felt that way about the book too... I hated that character and it wasn't like Snape-hate - she wasn't fun to hate... I enjoyed hating Snape, Voldemort was actually kind of frightening and Malfoy senior was scary yet hot (I actually love the actors chosen for the characters -- I think one of the best things the movies did was casting. Very few of the casting choices were failures...

I don't think the Umbridge casting was a failure... I think it was too good... she embodied everything I hated in the book... If I'd imagined her, she would have been that person in the movie, all pink-round-cloying-evil-bitch-ness of her!! She brings out my inner axe murderer and my inner serial killer... I want them to clone her so I can kill her in unique and painful (and slow) ways!!! :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I cannot remember hating another character in a book or movie quite so much.:happy-smileyinthebox: :rifle: :rifle: And like I said, it wasn't fun hating... there was NO redeeming quality, nothing to fascinate, or even make me secretly root for her as we do for some of our more 'interesting' bastards... I think the only other character I've come close to hating as much was in LOTR Boromir and Faramir's father the regent... Denethor... but even he I 'got' a little... he was disgusting though...

I think you could enjoy the movies... They were very conscious of the many young fans who'd actually read and KNEW the books inside out... so they didn't 'hatchet' the movies the way many books get hatchet jobs... (It's why they had to make book seven into two movies). I think on the whole, they did a good job, though of course, no one can ever do a perfect job... because in the final analysis the books are what we we see in our heads, and everyone's head is different, no matter how faithful a movie is, it really cannot give the same experience.

Unlike the unnecessary trilogy of the Hobbit that was 'made for making money' rather than having even passing fidelity to the content of the book, I think the HP movies did a really good job. (FTR, I liked the LOTR movies even though they weren't 100% faithful.) Then they saw how much money they could make and got greedy and we ended up with 3 Hobbit lite movies that were trying to be LOTR part 4, 5 and 6, more than they were Hobbit) Anyway, I digress.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 pm 
Administrator

Title: Goddess of Gab
Name: Barbara
link: Author Board
link: Story Board Profile
I agree on LOTR. The films were great, though not as amazing as the books.

The Hobbit movie was drawn out for commercial purposes only. That said, I think the movies of The Hobbit might be one of the few examples of a time when the movie is better than the book.

As much as I LOVE the LOTR books, I always found The Hobbit sort of LOTR-lite. LOTR for children. It was more simplistic in writing style and in plot. I hate that TPTB did what they did for money, but I enjoyed the heck out of the movies. Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I kind of watch the HP movies as alternate versions, then they annoy me less. I do think that some parts of the movies don't actually make much sense if you don't know the books, and they're pretty 'uneven' overall, especially with the different directors etc. They're enjoyable, but they're not a patch on the books. In general, they are enjoyable though.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
Alan Rickman dies

Alan Rickman, one of the best-loved and most warmly admired British actors of the past 30 years, has died in London aged 69. His death was confirmed on Thursday by his family who said that he died “surrounded by family and friends”. Rickman had been suffering from cancer.

A star whose arch features and languid diction were recognisable across the generations, Rickman found a fresh legion of fans with his role as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:14 pm 
Team Leader

I had no idea he had cancer, either. RIP.

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 pm 
Director

flootzavut wrote:
I had no idea he had cancer, either. RIP.

another one who didn't tell anyone...........well it isn't something you broadcast I suppose

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm 
Director's Secretary

I respect those who don't advertise their 'tragic battle with cancer' or some such drama... my health is my private business and I want to gather my family around me and die in peace, if I have to die of an illness. I think some people are about the drama.

I am so gonna miss my Severus... I think I'll watch Galaxy Quest tonight so I can laugh... then maybe I'll watch some of the Harry Potter movies again.

I'm missing so many of my favorite English artistes all of a sudden... Alan and of course Christopher Lee from last year. grrr.

I guess I'm getting to an age where those in the obits are people I actually care about. Sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:04 pm 
Director

DeepBlueJoy wrote:
I guess I'm getting to an age where those in the obits are people I actually care about. Sucks.

I was thinking I'm getting to that age I'd better watch out myself...............and also maybe they were all people of my era.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:06 pm 
Team Leader

I can see benefits either way; I'm sure some cancer sufferers take heart from seeing their favourite celebs go through what they're going through. At the same time, I probably wouldn't advertise it myself.

All this said, what surprises me most is that people like David Bowie or Alan Rickman were able to keep it under wraps. To keep such a secret these days is quite an achievement.

It must be said, I don't really follow 'celeb news', so it's quite possible it's just that I haven't heard it, more than it hasn't been in the papers, but my impression from tributes etc is that both men managed to keep their health troubles quite close to their chests.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:55 pm 
Director's Secretary

flootzavut wrote:
I can see benefits either way; I'm sure some cancer sufferers take heart from seeing their favourite celebs go through what they're going through. At the same time, I probably wouldn't advertise it myself.

All this said, what surprises me most is that people like David Bowie or Alan Rickman were able to keep it under wraps. To keep such a secret these days is quite an achievement.

It must be said, I don't really follow 'celeb news', so it's quite possible it's just that I haven't heard it, more than it hasn't been in the papers, but my impression from tributes etc is that both men managed to keep their health troubles quite close to their chests.

I think it's fine if people have the emotional energy to become a crusader about something that's killing them or be an 'example' etc... but some people just don't have that in them.

My dad was well known where I come from, and after his death had actually occurred, a series of ads that he'd volunteered for were published in the paper in support of the cancer society and against smoking... but while he was ill, though it wasn't a secret, it wasn't huge news either and I'm grateful. It was hard enough having my picture in the paper because of my dad's death (his funeral was a national event that was streamed online and broadcast) but I didn't share the last days of his life with the press, thank god.

I don't do celebrity news either, but I got the impression from the coverage of the deaths that both David and Alan's death came as a shock to those 'in the know', particularly David, who'd done publicity for his latest recording and resolutely said nothing...

Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm 
Team Leader

I wouldn't judge anyone either way - people deal with it the best way they can. As I say, my major surprise with them both is that they managed to keep it private. As popular performers in the age of the Internet and a media who aren't exactly known for respecting privacy, that's quite an achievement.

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:59 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Snape is my favorite character in the Harry Potter books and movies, and Alan Rickman portrayed him so wonderfully and honestly. What a career! He is very loved.

- Gareth Keenan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:25 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Broadway Lover
Name: Colleen
Aliases: Oxymoronic Alliteration, BroadwayBookworm
Not gonna lie, I'm still really sad about this :-/

~*~Banner by EmyPink~*~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 am 
Director

https://www.simplemost.com/target-selli ... ntent=KNXV

Counting down to Christmas just got a lot cooler and cozier at the same time.

Target has advent calendar filled with socks from some the most popular movie franchises in history: “Harry Potter,” “Star Wars,” Disney and DC Comics!

The 12 Days of Socks Calendars are $15 apiece and each advent calendar has a nice mix of crew style, ankle and no-show socks.

There are sets for both adults and children.

look what I found in Primark

https://www.primark.com/en/product/harr ... 7172324139

let me know if anyone fancies a pair

ImageImageImage