link: My deviantART
Flag: Image
Title: You didn't screw up
Rating: FR-13
Parings: none
Characters: Tony, Gibbs
Genres: gen, but other than that I'm not really sure
Warnings: None
Summary: Tony shows up at Gibbs place late at night, not knowing really what brought him there.

---

You are sitting on the bottom step in the basement, a cup half filled with bourbon in your hands. You're not completely sure of why you are there, you haven't even given Gibbs a real reason to show up at his house at this hour. None of you have said anything since you arrived, except when Gibbs asked you if you wanted some bourbon and you accepted, right after you stepped through his door. Besides that, not a word has been exchanged between you.

You take a sip of the strong liquor and glance over at Gibbs. He is completely focused on the work he's currently doing on the cabin of his boat. It looks like it's almost finished now. The boat itself has been finished since months back, and since it's not in the basement anymore, you're wondering how the hell he got it out. You think of asking him, but then you decide not to. You're not even sure if Gibbs is going to tell you anyway.

“You gonna sit there all night, DiNozzo?” Gibbs asks without taking his eyes off or pausing what he's doing, making you snap out of your thoughts.

“I don't know, Boss”, you say honestly after a moment of thought and take another sip from your cup. “Why, do you want me to leave?”

“Your choice, DiNozzo.”

You pull your lips up in a dry smile but become serious just as fast again. You are seriously considering to leave, but you find that you can't make yourself put down the cup and stand up and walk away, so you stop trying and accept that you're not going anywhere soon. You don't even know if you really want to walk away. Something made you go to Gibbs tonight, but you don't want to face the real reason just yet, so you just sigh and stare down into your cup, the silence settling between you once again.

“Hey, come here.”

You look up at Gibbs again, hesitating for just a moment before you stand up and slowly walk over to him. He stands up from the stool he has been sitting on and pushes you down on it, taking your cup from you before putting a tool in your hands, and while standing behind you with his hands on yours, he is showing you how to use it.

“Nice, light strokes, Tony”, he says softly in your ear and you can feel his approval when you do as you're told after he has let go. “Thats it”, he continues a few moments later. “Keep that up.”

You give him an affirmative nod and focus on the task at hand, barely taking notice of Gibbs moving away from you and stepping over to the work bench. You are filled with a bit of pride that he trusts you enough to let you help and you make sure that you're careful so that you don't damage the cabin. It's far from as easy as sanding, but you still find that this kind of work isn't as hard as you thought it would be, and you let yourself get lost in it.

A hand on your shoulder brings you back to reality and you blink in surprise when you feel Gibbs taking the tool away from you.

“You did good, Tony”, he says with a rare smile and puts the tool away.

“Thanks, Boss”, you reply and stand up, stretching your stiff back and shoulders. You look down at the cabin and carefully run your fingers over the spot you worked on. The wood feels smooth under your fingers, but you figure that it still needs some sanding too. Just a little.

“I couldn't save him, Boss”, you say then, even though you didn't plan to. The words just popped out of your mouth before you could stop them. They probably needed to be said.

“You tried”, Gibbs says and you look up to meet his eyes.

“I should have tried harder”, you retort. “If I had done things differently he would have been alive now.”

“You don't know that, DiNozzo. No one does.”

“I do, Boss. If I hadn't....” Your voice trail off and you look away. You know that Gibbs is right, you just don't want to admit it yet. “I screwed up, didn't I, Boss?”.

“You didn't screw up”, Gibbs says. “You made the wrong choices, but you didn't screw up. Trust me, I know. Come on. You can sleep on the couch tonight.”

You open your mouth to protest, but a glare from Gibbs stops you so instead you just silently follow him up the stairs. You think about what Gibbs has said and decide that he is right, so you take a deep breath and start to prepare yourself to move on. Maybe you won't do it right away, but you will eventually. You just have to take it one step at the time.

Gibbs hands you a blanket and some pillows, then he shows you to the couch. As soon as you lay your eyes on it you feel how tired you are. Sleep suddenly sounds like a very good idea.

“See you tomorrow, Tony”, Gibbs say and before you can reply he has left to go to his own bedroom. You sigh and then you make yourself comfortable on the couch. Sleep doesn't come easy to you, but when it does it is free of dreams and it allows you to rest undisturbed by nightmares.

You will get your share of those, but not tonight.

---

Comments are welcome.

"It's either there or it isn't. If you happen to be one, you're stuck with it. You'll write whether you get paid for it or not.
You won't be able to help yourself. When it's going well, it's like reaching up into heaven and pulling down fire. It's better
than any dope you can buy. When it's not going well, it's much like giving birth to a baby elephant."
David Eddings

Newest story: Four things Tim lived to regret, and one thing he didn't - FR7, Tim-centered, general

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Broadway Lover
Name: Colleen
Aliases: Oxymoronic Alliteration, BroadwayBookworm
Wow, that was really sad, but sweet. Kudos for using 2nd person! It's not easy to work with, but I think it really worked in this.

~*~Banner by EmyPink~*~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am 
MTAC Technician

Name: Mad
That is very well done – Gibbs will always believe that giving the hands something to do will help the mind to concentrate – get away from reality for a while. This shows a very vulnerable Tony and a very caring Gibbs – excellent!

Banner by the brilliant McSidekick146. Thank you Jennifer!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 pm 
Intel Analyst

Title: X-Sergeant X-Dr. Hiccups
Name: Sanna
Aliases: nfa_dragon, Paragon Dragon, sg_slasher, Dragonette
link: My Story Board profile
link: My LiveJournal
Thanks, Colleen and Maddie! :blush:

"It's either there or it isn't. If you happen to be one, you're stuck with it. You'll write whether you get paid for it or not.
You won't be able to help yourself. When it's going well, it's like reaching up into heaven and pulling down fire. It's better
than any dope you can buy. When it's not going well, it's much like giving birth to a baby elephant."
David Eddings

Newest story: Four things Tim lived to regret, and one thing he didn't - FR7, Tim-centered, general

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:09 pm 
Senior Field Agent

Title: Three-toed sloth
link: My Fanfiction.Net page
link: My blog
I really like this. Especially the minimal dialouge. People tend to write Gibbs too wordy, but I think this is just right. And Gibbs showing Tony how to work on the boat. For a second, Tony can see why Gibbs does what he does.

__________________________________________________________________________________

My Blog- Trixie Belden and other YA books
My fanfiction.net page

"Child, you're forgiven and loved..."

__________________________________________________________________________________

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm 
Intel Analyst

Thanks, Keys :blush:

David Eddings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:19 pm 
Intel Analyst

Title: Loving Every Minute
Name: Heather
Aliases: Mike Franks
Wow. I applaud the use of 2nd person here. Truly perfect depiction. As I was reading I kept thinking how difficult it would be for me. So well done.

And I can just see Gibbs being subtle, yet caring. Nice work. :)

Banner Courtesy of Emy! Icon Courtesy of Emma!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 am 
Intel Analyst

Thanks a lot. :happy-jumpgreen: I chose 2nd person for this since I've never tried that before. Turned out to be quite fun to write like that. :yes:

David Eddings