NFA Community Forums

NCIS Fanfiction Addiction Forums
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Banner created by the awesome Calliatra--many thanks, Callie!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:51 am 
MTAC Technician

Title: Probie writer
Name: Nat
I Is for Isolato

A Missing Scene for Jet Lag
by BlackSwan

Isolato (noun) -- one who is physically or spiritually isolated from his fellowman

Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind,
and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.
--John Donne

She was under house arrest, now. Officially caged like a bird. The formalities had proved rather anti-climactic for Holly Snow—okay, downright dull--particularly compared to being interrogated by Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. The paunchy, balding representative from the District Attorney’s office had droned on for fifteen minutes about the specifics of her confinement, and about what would happen to her if she somehow discarded or deactivated her ankle bracelet, but beyond that the D.A.’s man had nothing to say. He couldn’t even tell her if the information she had provided to Agent Gibbs had enabled NCIS to save Nora Williams from the contract killer on her trail. The D.A’s man didn’t know and didn’t care. His scowl implied that it was no business of hers, either. Holly Snow should stay inside her townhouse, shut up, and thank her lucky stars she had a good attorney and a plea deal. End of story. What else mattered?

A pragmatist, Holly was always more interested in ends than means, but she had been unable to forget the wide-eyed, earnest young woman in the photograph that Agent Gibbs had shown her. Nora Williams was a whistleblower who had put herself in danger by agreeing to testify against her employer for defrauding the Navy, and she evidently had the self-preservation skills of a metal duck in a shooting gallery. Without a topnotch protection detail, Nora Williams would never live to see a courtroom, and the case against her boss, the head of Beringer Enterprises, would fall apart without her testimony. While that would be very convenient for Mr. Beringer, it would be very bad for Nora-the-naïve—and it wouldn’t help Holly to sleep well, either. She now felt responsible for Nora’s fate, even though she didn’t know the woman. When Gibbs showed her Nora’s picture, he had turned a shadowy transaction into a real person, and the wall of denial that Holly had built around her own actions crumbled. It was hard to tell yourself that you were just a middleman connecting someone who wanted a service performed with others willing to perform that service—that you bore no personal responsibility for what that service might be, that was their business—when you were looking at Nora Williams’s face, and a force like Leroy Jethro Gibbs was telling you that the service was her murder, and only you could save her life.

Gibbs had gotten to her, all right. Now nothing in her life was the same. Nothing.

Holly wasn’t sorry that Gibbs had caught up to her and forced her into the plea deal, but it had been years since she had felt so disoriented and adrift. Everything had changed in a day, and while she knew things could be much worse—in some ways, her sentence felt like a reprieve--her world was spinning, end over end, and she had no idea where she’d be or how she’d right herself when the spinning stopped.

Holly shut the door on her erstwhile jailer, then walked to the window and watched the D.A.’s man drive away in his nondescript dark sedan. She wished she could drive away herself . . . somewhere. Anywhere. It was maddening to be shut up this way, alone, cut off from the world and not knowing what had happened to Nora Williams. She couldn’t expect an update on the case from ZNN; the NCIS operation was too hush-hush for that. Could she call in a favor from one of her contacts at the Justice Department or the Pentagon? Would they know?

Maybe Gibbs would call and bring her up to date . . . but even as the thought crossed her mind, she shook her head. Not Gibbs. He wasn’t the type to call. Wasn’t even the type to take calls. He was off on his own island, that one.

Too bad.

She wouldn’t mind crashing her way onto that island—except it couldn’t be done, because he was a federal agent and she was the former D. C. madam with the ankle bracelet and the well-known checkered past. Gibbs would always keep her on the outside.

He had his reasons.

If she dies, you’re an accessory to murder.

She tried not to think about that. Nobody was going to die tonight. She trusted Gibbs—fierce, no-nonsense, smart as a whip—to be as good at his job as she was at hers. And, like her, he would have only the best people working for him. So if Nora Williams could be saved, that NCIS team would find a way to do it.

Still . . . that was a big “if.” Because the killers were professionals, too. Unfortunately.

Holly wished she didn’t care so much about what happened to Nora Williams. Holly had her deal in place—house arrest, community service, and immunity from further prosecution-- and its terms couldn’t be changed now even if NCIS lost their witness. So she was home free, technically . . . or make that home and not-free. Whether Nora Williams lived or died wouldn’t affect her in practical terms, so why was it affecting her so much emotionally?

Because of Gibbs . . . it all circled back to Gibbs. He had somehow convinced Holly that Nora Williams was an innocent, a lamb being led to the slaughter, and the unfairness of Nora’s situation roused her protective instincts. And something about the man himself made her want to be on his team. Holly Snow, on the side of the angels. For once.

It felt good.

But she wanted the angels to win. In her experience, they almost never did—the odds were always stacked on the other side. The bad guys with no conscience and big bankrolls won all the time, and they never seemed to pay any penalty for their transgressions. They just took what they wanted and stepped over the bodies on their way out the door. Scot free.

The injustice and hypocrisy of it made her sick. She’d been fighting a guerilla war against male privilege all her life, in her way, but she’d long ago lost hope that she would ever see justice in the world. If a man had enough money, he could do anything and get away with it. But maybe this once . . . maybe for Nora . . . the story could have a different ending. Maybe Nora could beat the odds. She was a good person, standing by her ideals. She deserved a break.

Or maybe it was too late, and Nora Williams was already dead. There were so many killers out there—

Holly caught herself actually staring at the phone, willing it to ring, and laughed bitterly. No point to acting like a schoolgirl. Gibbs wouldn’t call. But she wondered if her churned-up state came from adjusting to house arrest, worrying about Nora Williams, or something else entirely. Something about blue eyes and second chances.

When was it too late to start over?

Never. Holly fervently believed that. As long as you were breathing, you could start over and hope for the best.

Holly walked to the fireplace and lit the gas flame; she always liked to relax in front of a fire on a winter night. All the comforts of home, she thought . . . except one: the freedom to come and go as she pleased. She had always bemoaned the fact that she had so little privacy, so little time to herself . . . now she would have “time to herself” in spades, thanks to Gibbs. Be careful what you wish for, she thought. Funny, how quickly “privacy” could turn to loneliness, and the much-sought-after “time to herself” could morph into solitary confinement.

Damn. This wasn’t going to be easy.

At least she wasn’t hurting anyone. But she didn’t know if she had helped Nora. Or Gibbs. Or anyone at all. And now she had so much time to think about things like that.

How do you make the future different from the past? she wondered. Maybe she should hire a life coach. Or a good psychologist.

She sat by the fireplace, hoping it would soothe her, but instead she saw faces sketched in the flames: Nora Williams. Gibbs. Hovering like ghosts, haunting her. She could see them even when she shut her eyes.

Maybe if she had a drink, she would forget them. Forget everything.

But she didn’t want a drink. She didn’t want oblivion. She wanted answers . . . and with them, absolution.

She watched the fire, feeling worse and worse as the street noises ebbed and the silence around her deepened. Usually she loved the dead of night . . . but not this night. This night felt like a horror movie, right before the killer jumps out of the closet. She could only think of one way to make it better.

She had to end the suspense.

She retrieved Agent Gibbs’s business card from her purse and dialed the number.

One good thing about being under house arrest—she could do something as asinine as this and nobody would know. Except him.

“Agent Gibbs? It’s Holly Snow.”

“What’s wrong?”

Always on alert: That was the Marine speaking. She smiled into the firelight. She liked Marines. “Nothing. I’m locked up tight. Mission accomplished.”

“Got your bracelet?”

“Yes. Thank you. It’s lovely. A little heavier than what I usually wear, though . . . I was surprised there was no ball and chain attached.”

“That can be arranged--”

“No, thanks. Having me monitored around the clock should be enough protection for the helpless public, don’t you think? You can sleep well, Agent Gibbs. You did your duty. The city is safe from me.”

He laughed. Just a short burst, but it was still the best thing she’d heard all night. She wished she could make him laugh again.

Instead, the silence stretched on so long that she was afraid he’d hung up. A conversationalist, he was not. “You need something?” he asked at last.

There was an answer hovering on the tip of Holly’s tongue, but she knew better than to say it. That answer belonged to her other life, not to her new incarnation as law-abiding citizen. Besides, Gibbs would never go along with it. She knew her men.

“I was just wondering how things worked out. With Nora Williams.” Her voice sounded rapid and breathless. “Is she all right?”

“Fine.”

“And she made it back to D.C.?”

“Yeah.” But there was something he wasn’t telling her. She was an expert at identifying when men were being evasive, and his voice didn’t sound quite right.

“And your people? Are they okay?” She heard odd, bustling sounds and the beeping of machines in the background. It didn’t sound like NCIS.

“Fine.” A slight hesitation. “Thanks for asking.”

“I’m glad. That Nora’s okay. That everything worked out.” Holly was surprised at how relieved she felt. And strangely exhilarated. All for a woman she had never met. “Was there really a killer after her?”

“Oh, yeah.”

“Did you catch him?”

“Her. She was a flight attendant on the plane from Paris to Dulles.”

“A flight attendant?” Holly was impressed. She could see the business potential immediately. “That’s a good cover.”

“Don’t get any ideas.”

“Me? Oh, no. No way. I could never be a killer.”

“You sure?” His voice sounded wry. Almost amused.

“Not a hands-on killer,” she amended, blushing. “So you got to the flight attendant before she got to Nora?”

“Yeah. But an air marshal on the plane wasn’t so lucky.” Gibbs sounded grim. “She stabbed him to get his gun.”

“That’s terrible. Will he be okay?”

“No. He’s dead.”

She gulped air. “I’m sorry. That’s a shame.”

“Yeah. Now his kid grows up without a father.”

“Just because she wanted his gun?”

“Or wanted to be sure he couldn’t use it.”

To Holly, it seemed a terribly flimsy motive to kill someone. But there was so much she didn’t know. So much she hadn’t wanted to know. “If he’d taken any other flight, he would have been okay?”

“Probably. Or if there’d never been a contract on Nora. He would have been okay then, too.”

She couldn’t argue with that—although if the matching service hadn’t existed, the killer would have gone right on looking until he found another way to get to Nora. “True. But if it wasn’t this contract, there would have been some other one, some other way. I wish it was as simple as just putting me out of business.”

“Do you? Wish that?”

“Of course I do!”

“Even though it cost you money, when I shut you down?” He paused. “You’re not holding a grudge?”

“Over you doing your job? No. No grudge. I’m even kind of grateful,” Holly admitted. “It wasn’t my favorite line of work. I had to shut my eyes too much . . . and I like to keep my eyes wide open.”

Lord, she was flirting with a federal agent. Over the phone. Like a schoolgirl. And she could swear he was chuckling. Stone-faced Gibbs, who never cracked a smile. What was the world coming to?

“What was?” he asked.

“What was what?” She had lost the train of thought, thinking about other things.

“Your favorite line of work. Or shouldn’t I ask?”

Holly was a silent partner in an art gallery. A rather famous one. She wondered what he’d think if he knew that. It was so . . . legitimate. “You’d be surprised.”

“Try me.”

“Maybe I’ll tell you sometime. It’s not what you think.”

“Too bad,” he said.

Her mind went down a dangerous track again, and she reined it in with an effort. “Can you tell me something? Just as a favor?”

“If it’s not classified.”

“You arrested the flight attendant . . . but what about the person who put out the contract? If you haven’t got him, then Nora’s still in danger, isn’t she? He could always start over somewhere else. Hire another hit man.”

“Now you’re thinking like a cop.”

“I’m not sure that’s a compliment.”

He chuckled. “Don’t worry. We got him.”

“I bet it was her boss, right? Beringer. The big rat.” He could afford to hire a hundred hit men, if he wanted. A thousand.

“We got him for defrauding the Navy—he’ll stand trial for that--but he wasn’t the one trying to kill Nora.”

“Really?” She was always ready to believe the worst of the power brokers, the super-rich. Those men were so used to getting their way, they thought they were entitled to have everything they wanted. But if it wasn’t Beringer . . . . “Then who did it?”

“Nora’s fiancé. Daniel Sturgis.” Gibbs explained the details.

“Crap. So much for true love, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“How’s Nora taking it?”

“Badly.”

Holly could imagine. There was nothing worse than being betrayed by the person you loved most in the world. The one you trusted. “She really loved the guy, huh?”

“Yeah. And he played her.”

“Like a violin,” Holly agreed. “Same old story. ‘I love you, darling. You’re everything in the world to me!’ Why do women keep falling for that garbage?” She shook her head. “Love. What a scam that is.”

“Not always,” Gibbs objected.

“Love is for high school kids and suckers. Everybody else should know better. Ask Nora how she feels about love right now. She probably rues the day she met the bastard.”

“Lots of that going around.”

“What do you mean? Are you expecting me to say that I rue the day I met you?”

“Do you, Holly?”

“Honestly?”

“Yeah. I like it honest.”

You would, Holly thought. “No. I don’t rue the day I met you. And that’s a very unusual sentiment for me to have toward a man who’s cost me money.”

He laughed again. What a beautiful sound it was. It almost drowned out the other, more disturbing sounds in the background, the constant buzzing and beeping and indecipherable public address announcements that made her think of train stations and airports. Places she couldn’t go, now.

“Where are you, Gibbs? Dulles?”

“No. Hospital.”

“Why?”

“I got banged up a little getting Sturgis in custody. The fiancé.”

“What happened?”

“He was in a car. And I wasn’t.”

“And?”

“And I had to stop him.” He said it patiently, as if he were explaining to a five-year-old.

“You got hit by a car?”

“I had to push Agent McGee out of the way. It’s okay. Sturgis wasn’t going very fast.”

“Which hospital? I’ll be there in 20 minutes.”

“You can’t. House arrest, remember? Stay put. McGee will take care of me. It’s just my shoulder.”

“Stop going all John Wayne on me and tell me where you are.”

“Can’t have you break the law. Not for me.”

“I will if I want to.”

“I don’t want you to.”

“Don’t be so sure.” She couldn’t keep the whiskey purr out of her voice. Force of habit. “You might enjoy having me break the law for you.”

“Depends on the law,” he replied. “I didn’t go to the trouble of getting you that ankle bracelet just to have you tossed in the brig the first night. That would be a waste. And I hate waste.”

“Oh, so do I,” Holly said fervently. Particularly wasted opportunities. “So when will I see you?”

“Dunno.”

“You could come visit me. You know—when you’re feeling better.” Her invitation was met with silence. Of course. It wouldn’t be prudent for a federal agent to be seen anywhere near her townhouse, unless he had a warrant in hand. “Or you could come to one of my lectures on sexual harrassment.”

“One more of those and I’ll cut my throat.”

“Then we’ll have to leave it to fate. Who knows?” She tried not to sound disappointed. “Maybe I’ll break another law someday, and you can arrest me.”

“Don’t go back into the contract-matching business.”

“Lord, no. That’s over.”

“Stay out of trouble.”

“You, too.” She wanted to say more, but she couldn’t get the words out. She wanted to say something about how much things had changed for her, because of him . . . but she didn’t know how to explain it. Maybe if he’d been in the room with her, she could have told him, but like this? It was too hard to reach him—like shouting secrets across a gorge. And it wasn’t the geography. It was . . . everything. It was Gibbs.

“You have turned my life upside down,” she said. “Trashed it.”

“Good.”

“You think it was trash already.”

“I think you were in the wrong line of work,” he said. “If you have to lie to yourself about what you’re really doing . . . then it’s time to get out.”

“You sound like you’re describing a bad marriage.”

“I’ve had a few.”

“Really? How many?” She waited. No answer. He had the wall up again. “You aren’t going to tell me, are you?”

“This isn’t about my life. It’s about yours. You need to walk away from the people you were working with. Seriously.”

“I have,” she assured him. “I’m done. I’m no use to them anymore anyway, now that I’m on your radar. That plea deal put me out of business.”

“Good. You should thank me.”

“I do. Really. And I thank Nora Williams. It was seeing her face that . . . changed everything. Made it real.”

“Nora should thank you, too. We couldn’t have done it without you. You saved her life.”

“And she saved mine. Too bad she didn’t get a happy ending.”

“Ending’s not written yet,” Gibbs objected. “Nora’s a fighter. She’ll bounce back.”

“But she’ll never be that innocent and trusting again. And she’ll never feel that way again, about love. That’s over.”

“Price of survival,” Gibbs said gruffly. “We all pay it. In our own ways.”

She would have loved to ask him for his story—what price had he paid, to survive?—but she knew there was no point. Gibbs would never tell her. Not now, anyway. Maybe someday. If she could ever get his guard down—but she’d have to see him to do that.

“Are you going to ask me out?” She heard the words come out of her mouth and felt mortified. Well . . . nothing ventured, nothing gained.

“You can’t go out.”

“You’re splitting hairs. You know what I mean. Are we going to see each other?”

“No.”

So that was it. She’d tried multiple approaches and he’d snuffed out every one. She couldn’t reach him. Cold seeped through her, and she wanted to hang up, but that seemed petulant. And cowardly--like a soldier in retreat. And Holly Snow was no coward.

She heard a nurse come into the room and tell Gibbs that the doctor was on his way.

“Are you going to be okay? I know your type. Marines.” She snorted. “‘Just a scratch, ma’am’ –and there are gallons of blood all over the floor—“

“I’ll be all right,” he said patiently. “I’m not lying to you, Holly.”

No. He didn’t lie to her. That was one reason she liked him.

“What about you? You okay?”

“Right as rain,” she said. “Or I will be, just as soon as I figure out what to do with myself. With all the hours in the day.”

“Make sure it’s legal,” he warned her.

Once a cop, always a cop. She found herself smiling. “Oh, Gibbs, what’s the fun in that?”

Feel free to comment here . . . I'd love to hear from you!

Latest Episode Tags: I Is for Isolato Under house arrest, Holly Snow tries to reach out to Gibbs.
C Is for Curiosity Two friends try to unravel the meaning behind an encounter with a mysterious woman. Season 7.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Team Leader

Name: Sue
Aliases: IMSLES (just about everywhere in cyberworld)
link: My ff.net account
Flag: Image
I was right, it is wonderful! Great dialogue and true to character. Though I don't think putting those two together is a great idea, I love the tension and attraction between them and you depicted it so well.

:clap:

~~Sue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Team Leader

Name: Sue
Aliases: IMSLES (just about everywhere in cyberworld)
link: My ff.net account
I was right, it is wonderful! Great dialogue and true to character. Though I don't think putting those two together is a great idea, I love the tension and attraction between them and you depicted it so well.

~~Sue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:39 am 
MTAC Technician

IMSLES wrote:

Thanks, Sue!

I don't see them as a viable couple, either -- their world views are too different -- but I enjoy exploring the odd tension in their relationship. They have about 70% of what it would take to make it work . . . but that other 30% is a deal breaker.

But they can have an interesting relationship that is not a romance, if they can figure out how to do that.

Of course Abby would say you can't do that. I think it's "Caught on Tape" where the team airs their opinions on whether grown men and women can be friends without having sex. Abby says no.

Latest Episode Tags: I Is for Isolato Under house arrest, Holly Snow tries to reach out to Gibbs.
C Is for Curiosity Two friends try to unravel the meaning behind an encounter with a mysterious woman. Season 7.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:55 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Title: Experimental Imagineer
Name: Callie
link: LJ
link: FFnet
link: AO3
I always thought Holly Snow as a character was very interesting, as is her fascination with Gibbs. It's great to see you continue taking a closer look at her!
This was a great exploration of Holly's hidden depths, buidling really well with what we learned about her in canon. Her conversation with Gibbs reads exactly like what I would imagine we would have seen, if their relationship had been taken just a bit further in that episode.
It was also kind of intriguing to see Gibbs from an outside POV. We've gotten to know him so well that I rarely think about how he comes across to other people, but the way you wrote Holly's thoughts here is spot on, in my opinion - after all, she's extremely good at reading people, and it shows.
Altogether this was a really nice story; I enjoyed it a lot!

.:click for the story:.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:33 pm 
MTAC Technician

Calliatra wrote:
I always thought Holly Snow as a character was very interesting, as is her fascination with Gibbs. It's great to see you continue taking a closer look at her!
This was a great exploration of Holly's hidden depths, buidling really well with what we learned about her in canon. Her conversation with Gibbs reads exactly like what I would imagine we would have seen, if their relationship had been taken just a bit further in that episode.
It was also kind of intriguing to see Gibbs from an outside POV. We've gotten to know him so well that I rarely think about how he comes across to other people, but the way you wrote Holly's thoughts here is spot on, in my opinion - after all, she's extremely good at reading people, and it shows.
Altogether this was a really nice story; I enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks, Callie!

I appreciate you taking the time to read the story, and your thoughtful comments.

Holly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I find her intriguing to write (or write about) because of her unpredictability . . . you can never be sure that you know where she'll land on any question. She's intelligent and determined and quite fearless--she would have made a good agent if she'd chosen to pursue that instead of the sex trade.

This story grew out of the story I wrote for the No Names challenge, "C Is for Curiosity." For that one, I was in Gibbs's point of view, and Holly herself never appeared, although she was the topic of conversation. That left me with an unfinished feeling--like waiting for the other shoe to drop--and I wanted to get into Holly's point of view, too.

So it's an odd set of tags where the tag for the later episode (Guilty Pleasure) was written first, and the one for the earlier episode (Jet Lag) was written later. Duh.

I never thought I would write about Holly, but when the Muse calls, I don't quibble.

Thanks again for reading!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:29 am 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Name: Helen
I love how well this fits together with "C is for Curiosity". Holly Snow and Gibbs have such an interesting dynamic, and I can see how she'd be fascinated by him. Her usual methods just don't scratch the surface of Gibbs, and she'd want to know why.

I especially liked Holly's willing the phone to ring, then feeling stupid for calling him and not knowing what to say, and then Gibbs' matter-of-fact explanation for why he was in the hospital. Spot-on characterization, as usual. :)

I agree, though, they're not a viable couple - under other circumstances, yes, but the dealbreakers they have are big ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:46 am 
MTAC Technician

Flamingo55 wrote:
I love how well this fits together with "C is for Curiosity". Holly Snow and Gibbs have such an interesting dynamic, and I can see how she'd be fascinated by him. Her usual methods just don't scratch the surface of Gibbs, and she'd want to know why.

Yes, there's curiosity on both sides. Of course Holly, in her present situation (house arrest, between jobs) feels like she has nothing to lose, so has no reason not to explore.

For Gibbs, federal agent, the stakes are different. I think he would be curious about her--for one thing, he'd want to sort out the proportion of good to bad, and satisfy himself about whether she could be trusted and how far. I don't think she would score high enough on the trust meter to ever get over his threshold for keeping people out . . . but he wouldn't flat-out detest her, either.

I don't gravitate to romance, as a writer, but I do like to write friendship stories of all types--relationships outside the bedroom. And the more textured and complicated they are, the more I enjoy writing them. Like Gibbs, I like surprises. And I enjoyed investigating Holly's surprise, here. I think it's been a long time since a man surprised her, or showed her something new inside herself.

Flamingo55 wrote:
I especially liked Holly's willing the phone to ring, then feeling stupid for calling him and not knowing what to say, and then Gibbs' matter-of-fact explanation for why he was in the hospital. Spot-on characterization, as usual. :)

I agree, though, they're not a viable couple - under other circumstances, yes, but the dealbreakers they have are big ones.

Nope, they're not a viable couple--they don't have enough in common--so you don't have to worry on that score. I won't inflict a romance on you. ;)

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to leave feedback, when I know you're working on your own stories. I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am 
Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
I am so wanting to read and review but I will hold off until read.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:33 pm 
Mossad Liaison Officer

Name: Helen
BlackSwan wrote:
For Gibbs, federal agent, the stakes are different. I think he would be curious about her--for one thing, he'd want to sort out the proportion of good to bad, and satisfy himself about whether she could be trusted and how far. I don't think she would score high enough on the trust meter to ever get over his threshold for keeping people out . . . but he wouldn't flat-out detest her, either.

I think that's a good way to put it- he'd want to know more about her, but, having made up her mind that she was a Bad Idea, wouldn't let her get that far.

Quote:
Nope, they're not a viable couple--they don't have enough in common--so you don't have to worry on that score. I won't inflict a romance on you. ;)

Hee! To be honest, I'd enjoy reading that - but I think they only make a viable one-night-stand type of relationship, nothing long-term.

Quote:
Thanks for reading this and taking the time to leave feedback, when I know you're working on your own stories. I really appreciate it!

You're quite welcome - I thought I'd already done it, actually - I frequently read on my phone, then plan to review later...and don't remember. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:04 pm 
MTAC Technician

Flamingo55 wrote:
Quote:

Hee! To be honest, I'd enjoy reading that - but I think they only make a viable one-night-stand type of relationship, nothing long-term.

Yeah, that's my reading of it, too. They might be curious, but it wouldn't last. Their issues would get in the way. They might be a classic set of Friends With Benefits, though--not looking for it to be anything more than that. Most people can't really sustain that kind of relationship . . . they always wind up wanting it to be more, or less. But having a solid friend she trusted might actually be a positive step for Holly. I could see her popping in to see Gibbs now and then. And since he doesn't seem to want any kind of serious relationship right now, or isn't ready for one, it might be beneficial for him, too, in a limited way.

Don't think it would happen . . . but it could. In fanfic only, though. Not on screen.

Flamingo55 wrote:
Quote:

You're quite welcome - I thought I'd already done it, actually - I frequently read on my phone, then plan to review later...and don't remember. :)

I often think I've reviewed, too, when I haven't. I'll read a story and will get called away by some chore in real life, and I think I've left a comment when I haven't. Oops. :blush: Then I go slinking back to add my two cents. Sometimes it's quite a bit later.

My favorite way to review is to read a whole set of challenge stories and leave comments on each one. It really gives a flavor for all the talent and diversity that's on this site. Or maybe that's just the English teacher in me coming out. I try to keep that part of me under a bushel, but she keeps escaping. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: NFA storyboard
Quote:
she evidently had the self-preservation skills of a metal duck in a shooting gallery

:rofl:

Quote:
Holly wasn’t sorry that Gibbs had caught up to her and forced her into the plea deal, but it had been years since she had felt so disoriented and adrift. Everything had changed in a day, and while she knew things could be much worse—in some ways, her sentence felt like a reprieve--her world was spinning, end over end, and she had no idea where she’d be or how she’d right herself when the spinning stopped.

Gibbs does seem to have that effect on people...

Quote:
And something about the man himself made her want to be on his team. Holly Snow, on the side of the angels. For once.

Really liked this. Can't even tell you exactly why, just really liked it.

Quote:
One good thing about being under house arrest—she could do something as asinine as this and nobody would know. Except him.

Heheheh

Quote:
“Yes. Thank you. It’s lovely. A little heavier than what I usually wear, though . . . I was surprised there was no ball and chain attached.”

“That can be arranged--”

“No, thanks. Having me monitored around the clock should be enough protection for the helpless public, don’t you think? You can sleep well, Agent Gibbs. You did your duty. The city is safe from me.”

He laughed. Just a short burst, but it was still the best thing she’d heard all night. She wished she could make him laugh again.

This exchange was so perfect :lol2: love love love it!

Quote:
Lord, she was flirting with a federal agent. Over the phone. Like a schoolgirl. And she could swear he was chuckling. Stone-faced Gibbs, who never cracked a smile. What was the world coming to?
:smitten: cute!

Quote:
“Now you’re thinking like a cop.”

“I’m not sure that’s a compliment.”

*snigger*

Quote:
“He was in a car. And I wasn’t.”

Very Gibbsian explanation...

Quote:
Once a cop, always a cop. She found herself smiling. “Oh, Gibbs, what’s the fun in that?”

Oh, bravo! Perfect closing line!

I love these two together - they should bring her back. It's hard to see that they could ever be a real couple, given the situation, but I always felt like they could be friends, that they "got" one another. I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn to one another in extremis for a bit of mutual comfort, too, be that physically or emotionally or whatever.

In a weird way, I think Holly is more trustworthy than Sam Ryan: Ryan may not be a national security risk, but I wouldn't trust her with anything that mattered to me. Holly on the other hand I might not trust with a bank card, but I'd trust her to take a secret to her grave if she said she would, you know?

I've read a few Gibbs/Holly stories, and the good ones always make me wish they'd bring her back. I think she's such an intriguing foil for Gibbs, particularly with the simple fact that there's obviously something there, and it is also obvious there's no way anything is going to come of it. Plus the fact that, like him, she's excellent at reading people, but they don't always have a bead on each other, something neither of the, is used to.

I just find it such an interesting, different kind of interaction. I think also another thing they have in common is that both of them as characters evoke my sympathy - for various reasons, they're both doing jobs they're good at and find satisfaction in, but neither of them is happy or even expects to be happy. There's something really almost tragic about that. Two very interesting characters, so different yet with unexpected things in common. And you evoke them both beautifully.

Anyway - I loved their chemistry, and the strange spark of affection and attraction between them, and I thoroughly enjoyed this :yes: I will have to find and read C for Curiosity!

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 am 
MTAC Technician

Thanks so much!

I haven't been writing lately, so it's always a great pleasure to find that someone has discovered an old story and enjoyed it.

I find Holly an intriguing character--I think that's mostly a tribute to the actress, who managed to suggest a complicated, multi-faceted human being. And she had great chemistry with Gibbs. They were fun to watch, and she's fun to write.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:28 am 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: NFA storyboard
Holly is definitely on my must try writing list. Yes, credit to the actress - she really brought that character to life.

It's a shame you've not been writing recently :( I am enjoying rediscovering your old stuff though. The benefits of being a newbie! Also I'm a sucker for Kibbs ish things, so it's always nice to find people who write/wrote Kate =D

I just spotted C is For... so that's now on my tbr list :D

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett