Director

Title: Gibbs' Gal forever
Name: Patsy
Aliases: pattywatty
link: My Author Board
link: My Fanfic.net
Flag: Image
Purple-Muse wrote:
David will be publishing his debut novel early next year titled 'Once a Crooked Man.'. :dance:

http://sandstonepress.com/news/2015/7/2 ... tone-press

It will be released in January 2016 and can be pre-ordered on Amazon.

Oh I know it will be so good. I thought I posted something already here re his book must have been mistaken. Hope he comes to Edinburgh.............

I did post but put it under David in the news

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3958&p=642486#p642486 and this was my link..
http://www.barbarasbookstore.com/book/9781250080455

thought I was getting Dementia now.

ImageImageImage

sig by McMhuirich thank you

Post subject: Re: Ducky/David McCallum
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:22 am 
Director

mentioned on another site that David had written a book and we have started a wee chat about David there but one girl/woman came back with

My mum always said blond men were handsome when young, but did not age well. David McCallum is the exception to that rule. Good looking, witty, very funny. That can't just be the character he plays can it? Ducky is just as attractive as Gibbs IMO!

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 am 
Director

This is a nice article

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

David McCallum from 'U.N.C.L.E.' talks about NCIS and his glory days as a spy

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:30 am 
Director

Happy birthday from Scotland David

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:57 am 
Director

This was in the TV and Satellite magazine this week

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:42 am 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I think it's really adorable that he and Robert Vaughn evidently still keep in touch after all these years :smitten:

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:20 am 
Director

just getting round to the book and noticed it says "1st published in Great Britain, by Sandstone Press, Dingwall

Sandstone Press

Sandstone Press was established in 2002 based on the firm belief that an international publishing house could be based in the Highlands of Scotland. We publish fiction and non-fiction books and ebooks. The company is characterised by high editorial and design standards, internationalism, and a strong engagement with the contemporary world using modern methods.

nice to see maybe David using Scotland.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 am 
Director's Secretary

Aliases: Fauxcynic (for my very first NCIS fic!)
link: My fanfic
Has anything more been said/written about David's "slip" about MW leaving? There's been some speculation here, but I'm more curious in any follow up from David or those affiliated with the show than our too-active imaginations!

Hammer: I might, but I'd keep my mouth shut.

Margaret Dumont, Groucho Marx, the Cocoanuts, 1929

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:03 am 
Director's Secretary

Name: Blue
link: Blue's Stories
link: Blue's AO3
Shywriter wrote:
Has anything more been said/written about David's "slip" about MW leaving? There's been some speculation here, but I'm more curious in any follow up from David or those affiliated with the show than our too-active imaginations!

I seriously doubt that it was a 'slip'. I think it was just a casual way to 'leak' the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 pm 
Director's Secretary

Kinda tacky to put it on another cast member ... Not the usual approach in show biz, is it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:21 am 
Director

Right David's book.

Found it "busy and fussy" in bits, he seemed to cram a lot in.

Would I read again? Probably.
Would I recommend? Only if you are a David fan and wanting a book to read longhaul.
Out of 10 = 7/10
would it make a good film? Yes better film than a book.

Sorry David, but I think this was just something you needed to get out your system.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:11 pm 
Director

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ncis ... es-7460607

interesting article:-

NCIS star David McCallum: Charles Bronson stole my wife, but I never hated him. The actor, who shot to stardom in The Great Escape before playing Russian spy Ilya Kuryakin in The Man From UNCLE, looks back on a colourful career.

As a young actor trying to make your name, having your wife stolen by your mega-famous co-star is the kind of thing you’d imagine would eternally be deemed unforgivable.

Not so for David McCallum. His Great Escape co-star Charles Bronson romanced then married David’s then-wife Jill Ireland but David is remarkably sanguine about it.

“I never hated him, Charlie was always a good friend,” he says. “I find that when problems come along, worrying about them and getting anxious and negative is quite unnecessary. You can solve them, usually amicably. That’s what happened.”

He might be positive about the split now but he does admit: “It was an extremely difficult time, not least because we had three children.”

But of reports that, after meeting actress Jill during filming, Bronson told David, “I’m going to marry your wife”, he insists: “I have absolutely no recognition of that.”

It is typical of the positivity which seems to ooze from every statement the 82-year-old makes.

“I’ve had an incredible life,” says the star, who lives in New York state.

“I can sit here for a week and talk to you about the past 82 years and 99.9% will be wonderful and positive.”

That hasn’t always been the case for David. His adopted son Jason, who had been about to become a dad, died from an accidental overdose aged 27, in 1989.

“The worst moment of my life was when I lost my son, there’s no question of that,” says David. “Losing people you love are always the most terrible moments, especially when they’re so young.

“Things remind you of the loss, birthdays and things. But it’s gone, it’s done. He’s not coming back, so I don’t dwell on it. The best moment of my life is right now.”

This is a man who clearly counts his blessings. After divorcing Jill, who stayed with Bronson until her death at 54 in 1990 from breast cancer, he wed Katherine Carpenter and had two more children. They have been happily married for 48 years.

In a career spanning seven decades, David is still enjoying success as Ducky Mallard, chief medical examiner on NCIS, voted America’s favourite show, and has just had his first novel published, Once a Crooked Man.

He adds: “To be playing wonderful characters at my age and having a book that’s selling like crazy, I mean, come on, what else do you want?

“NCIS is in its 13th season now and we’ve just done our 300th episode. To be the number-one drama show, practically worldwide... well, it’s television history.”

Though David has been on NCIS for 13 years, older generations will always remember him for past glories.

Born to a middle-class family in west Glasgow, he had a career boom in the 1950s and 1960s. After starring with screen legend Steve McQueen in movie The Great Escape, he played Russian agent Illya Kuryakin in US TV spy series The Man From UNCLE.

In the 1970s he played another prisoner of war in TV drama Colditz, before a short spell as The Invisible Man in 1975.

He then enjoyed another hit as Steel in ITV sci-fi series Sapphire & Steel, from 1979-1982, with a young Joanna Lumley.

Of his co-star, he says: “There’s something wonderful about a beautiful woman smiling, and the first thing that comes to mind with Joanna is her incredible smile.

“She’s beautiful, talented and a fascinating conversationalist. My only regret is that the Atlantic is between us.”

David’s first taste of showbiz glamour came when he studied alongside Joan Collins at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, London.

“Joan and I were in the same class and used to do fencing classes together too,” he says, with a laugh.

“She’d wear a skin-tight jumpsuit and she was, shall we say, very impressive. She wasn’t that good a fencer but, boy, she looked good.”

After graduating he had small parts in TV and movies but it was The Great Escape in 1963 that introduced him to a global audience.

It was his character, naval officer Eric Ashley-Pitt, who had the idea of disposing of soil dug from the escape tunnel via their trousers as they walked outside.

Recalling his time on set, David says: “There was this wee kid from Glasgow and I’m working with extraordinary people like Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

“I remember how, outside the German studios, the police set up speed traps. The likes of Donald Pleasence and myself always stuck to the speed limit.

“But one day the policeman stopped Steve and asked him to get out of the car. They told him that they’d stopped many of his comrades but he had won the prize as the fastest.

“They took poor Steve to the police station and the whole production had to stop for a few hours.”

While the film spelled the end of his marriage, it boosted his career. The next year, aged 29, he landed his career-defining role in The Man from UNCLE, opposite Robert Vaughn. It ran until 1968.

David soon became a sex symbol thanks to his mop of blond hair, though he insists his image was cultivated by studio bosses.

“When I was filmed with the studio lights, I looked really blond. The look was part of the whole enigmatic thing they did with my character Illya, producing a climate of mystery about him. It had great appeal.”

MGM Studios claimed he got more fan mail than any other star in their history, though David insists Vaughn got just as much. They were both regularly mobbed.

He says: “I went for a walk in Central Park in New York and a crowd gathered around me. Then people started pushing, and from the back came two mounted policemen, who had to lift me up. We trotted out of the park.”

Was he disappointed not to have been offered a cameo Guy Ritchie’s movie reboot of the show last year?

“Not in the slightest,” he says. “I think they can just drag people into films from the old days and it’s more of a gimmick and distraction. So I’m glad in a way. I was also greatly relieved that they didn’t do anything that we did in the 1960s.”

Today David, who has eight grandchildren, has every reason to be happy. NCIS has 22 million viewers in the US alone, though he says: “It’s not me, it’s the part I play.

“The other day I had people coming up to shake my hand, saying, ‘Thank you, we love the show’. But my life on screen is entirely created by superb NCIS writers.”

He at least has to take credit for Once a Crooked Man, his quirky crime novel split between the US and UK.

David says: “About 15 years ago I was reading a Jack Higgins novel and I thought, ‘I could do this’ but I didn’t know how to write. So I taught myself with a pencil and a little notebook.

“All of a sudden I’m a published author, which I found incredible and funny. But the reviews have been fantastic.” Though with publishers already pushing for a second novel, he adds: “I have so much in my life to do, I just wish there were two of me.”

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 pm 
Director

more David = http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/david- ... 2016/02/29

David Keith McCallum still a heart throb

Yes, he is now 82.

Women see him as the heart throb Medical Examiner “Ducky” — Doctor Donald Mallard — in the United States most popular TV series NCIS.

Even the United States Marine Corps and the US Navy have especially welcomed him as one of their own, in this changed world that we all live in.

David Keith McCallum in NCIS.

Both he and NCIS Special Agent Jethro Gibbs and their team portray the drama and anguish of anti-terrorism activities across the world.

But it is David Keith McCallum, Jr. (born 19 September 1933), a Scottish actor, who first gained recognition in the 1960s for playing Russian spy Illya Kuryakin in the television series The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Doctors and Medical students alike try to emulate his standards of truth, honesty, and courage as they grapple with the demands of forensic medicine.

Back to back episodes are screened every day on Universal and Fox.

You never get tired of watching it.

There is even a boxed set of the NCIS series.

Every day, on American and British TV screens the exploits of the NCIS team are watched by millions.

They are the heroes, protecting reputations of those who die, finding out the truth of just what really happened.

Jethro Gibbs — in his role as Special Gent NCIS — upholds the values and the honor of the role.

Since 2003 McCallum has starred in the role.

Donald P. Bellisario says that McCallum’s knowledge became so vast that at the time of the interview he was considering making him a technical adviser on the show.

It is true to life.

Great escape McCallum appeared at the 21st Annual James Earl Ash Lecture, held May 19, 2005 at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, an evening for honoring America’s service members.

His lecture, “Reel to Real Forensics”, with Cmdr. Craig T. Mallak, U.S. Armed Forces medical examiner, featured a presentation comparing the real-life work of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner staff with that of the fictional naval investigators appearing on NCIS.

Congratulations on an amazing acting career.

More power to all the team involved.

- See more at: http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/david- ... oXbdL.dpuf

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:56 pm 
Director's Secretary

Great stories about David – but I confess I giggled to see Gibbs called a "special gent."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 pm 
Team Leader

Title: Kibbs Addict
Name: Sarah
Aliases: sarahflute, sarah-flute, Floot, tiggrie, kassipoeg
link: fanfiction.net
link: AO3
link: NFA storyboard
I can just imagine David saying that actually, it's a rather cute image ;D

"Sarah, I think your autocorrect is weirder than you are." (Xiexie, Xiexie! :lol2:)

GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:01 am 
Director's Secretary

Another typo-truth. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Director

'NCIS' Star David McCallum Admits He's Had a Magnificent Life — "I Have No Regrets"

It's a rare thing to have had such a lengthy career in Hollywood, but David McCallum found a way to do it! The actor currently stars on the long-running show NCIS as the medical examiner. And somewhere along the way, the 83-year-old star made quite a name for himself. He recently met up with Closer Weekly to talk about his career, family, and why he absolutely loves his line of work.

"I was a little sad in the beginning that I lost my privacy,” the Scottish-born actor exclusively told Closer Weekly. "There's a certain incognito streak in me." Although he admitted that while he is famous, his fans aren't too much for him to handle. "Nobody really gives me any problems. What I get now is people coming up quietly and saying, 'Love your work, thank you.' They just appreciate it, and it’s wonderful."

Even though he's played the role of Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard since 2003, the actor first made a name for himself as sexy Soviet spy Illya Kuryakin in the 1964 to 1968 smash The Man From U.N.C.L.E. He's later admitted that he had no idea he'd achieve fame when he signed on for the project. "I got a job, and I was able to pay the bills," he explained. "It was wonderful I had that opportunity. My part was very minor, and it just developed."

But, he's quick to explain that it's not only his career that is important to him in his life. In fact, he's been married to his wife Katherine Carpenter for 52 years. "Katherine and I are two halves of a whole," he continued. "We work well together, and when problems come along, we solve them. The best thing about a marriage is you find out what the other person wants and make damned sure they get it."

It's so nice to hear that David has been able to work in Hollywood for all these years and remain so positive about his experience. He admitted, "I have no regrets. I’ve had a magnificent life all the way."

http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/david ... cis-139104

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am 
Director

From David's FB page

David McCallum
16 hrs ·
Ducky has not gone over the side. He is still hard at work, writing his memoir in New York, while staying at the beautiful apartment of an old flame. He is available when needed, and will jump on the Acela whenever Jethro or Doctor Palmer needs him. Keep the faith. David

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 pm 
Administrator

Title: Goddess of Gab
Name: Barbara
link: Author Board
link: Story Board Profile
That's what I figured. :yes: