link: My Fanfiction.net account
Characters: Tim, the team, original characters
Rated: FR15
Categories: General
Genre: Alternate Universe, Sci-Fi
Season: between 6 and 7
Warning: character death (Hinted at)

Knights of the NCIS Table: Tony's Story

“Uncle Tim! Uncle Tim! Tell me a story! Please, please Uncle Tim!” Tim McGee chuckles softly to himself as he peers down at the tow-headed imp that’s clutching at his leg. He’s babysitting for his sister, Sarah, while she and her husband look for new housing.

“What kind of story should I tell you?” He picks up the blonde bundle of joy and carries him into the front room. As he looks around at the painted walls, he makes a mental note to ask Sarah about her rental agreement. From the looks of it, this house could be just the thing he’s been looking for. He sits down in the closest easy chair and places the child in the crook of his arm.

The blue eyed, blond haired boy thinks for about thirty seconds before replying, “I want a scary story; with dragons and wizards and no girls.”

“Not even one that’s cool like Aunt Abby or a martial artist like Aunt Ziva?” The dark haired ladies in question absolutely dote on the child in Tim’s arms. The little boy shakes his head no.

“No girls at all. Just dragons, wizards and maybe a knight like my Daddy.”

“Hmm…okay well, once upon a time, a long, long, long time ago, there lived a gigantic blue dragon.”

“I like blue.”

“Good, so the dragon lived in a remote cave.”

“I have a remote at home.”

“I know you do. Well, this dragon lived far away from most humans because his kind were usually hunted for their dragon scales. Dragon scales made for terrific armor, it was almost impossible to get wounded when you had dragon scale armor on.” He looks down at the child in his arms who’s breathing quietly and listening intently.

“In the closest village, lived a knight named Anton. Anton was a tall fellow, and one of the king’s fiercest fighters.” The child in his arms nods in agreement. So far, the knight in question sounds just like his Daddy.

“Anton had green eyes, dark brown hair and a suit of armor that needed repair badly. He’d been in so many battles that his armor had rusted through. So, Anton went to the castle to talk to his liege lord.”

“What’s a leech lord?” Tim smiles faintly, remembering Sarah asking the same question when she’d been this little one’s age.

“A liege lord is like a king. He was Anton’s boss and Anton needed his permission to get new armor. King Jed listened to Anton’s plea for new armor and started shaking his head in denial. Before he could say anything, King Jed’s top wizard came running into the room. The wizard’s name was Jamie and he never ran.”

“He was this time though.” The small voice was getting sleepy and Tim smiled as he continued.

“Yes, Jamie wasn’t a runner, but he was running that day. They’d seen the dragon and he was breathing white ice into the valley, making the spring day into winter.”

Unknown to the storyteller, he had more than one person for his audience. Sarah and her husband Tony, Tim’s partner at NCIS had arrived five minutes earlier and heard Tim telling Donald all about the characters for this story. When Dr. Mallard had died the same year that they’d gotten married, Sarah and Tony had both agreed that their first born son would be named after the beloved ME. Sarah leans into her husband of four years and whispers, “You think this could be another best seller?”

A/N: Any and all comments are welcome in the separate discussion thread.

banner by Gossamer Moonglow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am 
Senior Field Agent

Title: Native Nebraska NCIS fan
Name: Cookie, Lori
Aliases: tigyr
link: My Story Board stories
chapter 2:

Tony hugs her close and whispers back, “Maybe, did you get the recording started?”

They both chuckle softly and continue listening to Tim as he tells Donny why the wizard who never ran was running. A knock at the back door brings Sarah’s attention to the kitchen and she opens the door to Abby and Ziva. She puts a finger to her lips and indicates the storytelling going on in the next room. A shadow at the door has her opening it before Gibbs can knock and she ushers him and Jimmy Palmer inside too. Now that the entire team is here, she doesn’t have to worry about any other major interruptions, so she places a phone call and the others pool their money for the pizza delivery.

“Jamie tells King Jed all about the blue dragon. Before he can plead his case any further, Zavad, one of the King’s favorite squires limps into the room. Zavad is covered with ice and has a deep scratch in his left thigh. He tells King Jed that the dragon is demanding an audience with him and that if King Jed refuses his entire kingdom will be covered in ice. King Jed looks for his main advisor the wise and yet very young Abdiel. Twenty minutes go by before Abdiel enters the room. When he hears the story Abdiel nods and says that it is advisable for Anton to meet the dragon and possibly find out what they can do to reach an agreement.”

Tony smiles down at Sarah who’s listening intently to her brother’s story. Before they can find out what Anton’s plan of action is, there’s a knock on the front door this time. It’s the pizza delivery and Sarah hurriedly hands him the change for their supper. Taking the pizza and handing it to Tony, she turns to Tim who is gently laying Donny on the floor which is covered with blankets. The child is sound asleep and doesn’t move as Tim covers him with a light blanket and then tucks it in around him.

The adults adjourn to the kitchen. Two minutes later and they’re all filling their plates with hot pizza, breadsticks and chicken wings. Tim opens the refrigerator and pulls out several beers and soft drinks as well as a pitcher of water. Once everyone has a full plate, Sarah sets aside two pieces of pizza for Donny and covers it before heading into the living room.

The others follow suit and are soon lounging on the floor or in the few chairs that populate the room. Conversation is almost nil as they eat supper and watch over the child on the floor.

Tony looks around the room and the others all nod at his silent question. He then turns to McGee who is gathering the plates to take back to the kitchen.

“So, when do we get to hear the rest of the story?”

McGee doesn’t falter as he takes the dishes out to the kitchen, but they can all see the almost faint blush as it rises from his shirt collar.

“How much did you hear?”

They all grin at him and he knows that his audience hadn’t been just a small four year old boy. Nope, he’d had the entire MCRT listening in and hadn’t realized it.

“Umm…I’m making it up as I go guys. So, I guess we’ll have to wait for Donny to wake up before I tell anymore.”

Sarah stands up and enters the kitchen. She’d seen the looks on all the other faces. They were concerned and she thinks, from what Tony’s told her that she knows why. Tim still blames himself for what happened when a crazed fan killed two people and almost killed Abby. She wraps an arm around him, feeling him tense slightly before relaxing again.

“Hey, don’t fret the past. We have a wonderful future to look forward to. Especially Donny and the new baby.” She watches as he realizes what she’s just told him.

“Really? Wow, no wonder you two need a new house.” She smacks his arm and he gives her a hug. “Congratulations, have you told Tony yet?”

“No, not yet. Maybe you can bring it up in the story?”

“Your son forbade me to bring women into the story.”

Sarah laughs at that and tells him in that case he might want to change the names of the squire and the advisor. “Donny might not see a connection but I’m sure the rest of us did.”

Tim blushes again, and hides his face in her hair. Tony comes around the corner to see what’s taking the siblings so long and sees his partner hugging his wife. Knowing that Sarah’s trying to get Tim to open up, he backs away.

Gibbs motions Tony to step outside with him.

“What’s up boss?”

“Nothing, looks like you actually are like the knight in that story though. Or maybe Tim’s more observant than either of us cares to admit.”

Tony nods as he considers what Tim’s story has consisted of so far. Admittedly, he’s only been introducing the characters, but it’s entirely possible that the knight Anton has a few of Tony’s characteristics, even ones that Tony’s not sure that he has.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 am 
Senior Field Agent

chapter 3:

The two men go back inside and watch Tony’s son sleep. Knowing that his son is just like him when it comes to pizza, Tony leans down and whispers in Donny’s ear, “Pizza’s ready buddy.”

Two bright blue eyes open and gaze up at Tony with love. Then the desire for food enters that gaze and he demands to know where his supper is.

“Mommy has it in the kitchen.”

Donny stretches before racing into the kitchen. He sees his uncle and his mom standing by the sink washing the few dishes that were left from supper.

“Mommy? Did you save me any pizza?” Tim stays facing the sink, knowing that if he looks into those eyes, he’ll start laughing. Donald and Tony both have the same appetite when it comes to pizza. He listens to Sarah as she pulls out the two reserved slices and hands them to her son. Donny tilts his head to the left and asks, “May I have some milk please?”

“Sure thing. Do you want to eat in here while Uncle Tim and I finish up the dishes?”

“Yep and then we can go into the living room and he can tell me the rest of my story.”

Tim shakes his head not saying anything. He should have realized that between his sister’s love of literature and Tony’s love of cinema, their son would have a love of both. He’s just not sure where to continue with the story. Donny finishes eating, burps and glances up at the two siblings. “’Scuse me. Can we go listen to my story now?”

They all head back into the living room. Abby and Gibbs are sitting together on the couch while Jimmy and Ziva cuddle on the love seat. Tony is sitting in the big leather easy chair that Tim and Donny had used earlier that day. He starts to get up but Sarah comes and sits on his lap. That leaves the other chair for Tim and Donny.

Tim looks around the room. “Before I get started, does anyone want or need to use the bathroom, or get something to drink?”

None of the others do, so Tim sits back and cradling Donny asks him what the last thing in the story was. The little boy tells him that Zavad had just entered the hall.

“Okay. So, Zavad is covered with ice and has a deep scratch in his left thigh. He tells King Jed that the dragon is demanding an audience with him and that if King Jed refuses his entire kingdom will be covered in ice. King Jed looks for his main advisor the wise and yet very young Abdiel. Twenty minutes go by before Abdiel enters the room. When he hears the story Abdiel nods and says that it is advisable for Anton to meet the dragon and possibly find out what they can do to reach an agreement.”

King Jed is worried about his knight; after all, he’d just told him that he couldn’t get his armor replaced. Anton smiles at his liege lord, the smile not quite reaching the green eyes, and tells him that he’ll talk to the dragon first, and then decide if there shall be any bloodshed.

King Jed nods slowly, and watches as Anton leaves the great hall. Anton strides out the doors not noticing the suits of armor that line the sides of the hall, not that any of the shining suits would have fit, he’s much taller than the men who had been outfitted for those. Stepping outside, he looks around for the dragon.

“The dragon is blue Daddy and has a remote just like we do!” Smiles cross all of the adults’ faces at Donny’s interruption. Tony nods and they all settle back again to hear the rest of the story.

For those who are wondering Tim’s cast of characters are:

King Jed – Gibbs
Knight Anton – Tony
Wizard Jamie – Jimmy
Squire Zavad – Ziva
Advisor Abdiel – Abby

The Dragon -- ??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 am 
Senior Field Agent

A/N: There are two versions of what happened between Anton and the dragon...this is the first one...

Chapter 4:

Anton walks into the main courtyard and is immediately greeted with the stench of dragon breath. The beast in question has what’s left of an oak tree sticking out of its mouth. Bits and pieces of the tree are lying in piles, and Anton absently notes that the pieces would be very useful as firewood in the great hall and other rooms. The dragon starts to say something when it accidentally bites down on the tree. A large cracking sound like thunder when lightening strikes echoes in Anton’s head. He instinctively ducks as the dragon proceeds to cough up the remains of the tree.

“So, you’re the puny human they sent out to talk to me. What’s your name?”

Anton looks the dragon in the eye as he replies, “My name is Anton, what is your name and why are you attacking our villages?”

“My name is Nolan, I was not attacking anyone.”

“Then why is my squire covered in ice with a scratch down his leg?”

“He’s probably the scrawny kid that I almost fell on when my lunch exploded. Phhtooey” Another piece of tree joins the rest of the scrap heap. Anton can see that all that’s left of the tree is a long branch that appears to be stuck in Nolan’s mouth.

Anton’s not sure just why he does it, but he offers to remove the tree branch. Nolan shakes his head and maneuvers his small front claw up. Nolan removes the branch and notices as he does so that several pieces of forgotten meals are on it. He casually flicks them off and sticks the tree branch back into his mouth, rolling the wood around with his forked tongue.

Anton ducks from the spray of the rotting whatever it was, and again asks the dragon why he was attacking the village. Nolan snorts and ice comes out of his snout. Anton jumps behind the nearest pile of wood, narrowly avoiding being turned into an icicle.

“I’m doing it, because I can. There’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

Anton says nothing as he examines the creature in front of him. The scaly hide isn’t the normal glistening sheen of other dragons that he’s fought in the past. The scales are dull, almost unpolished as if

“You’re dying and they’ve tossed you to the wolves.”

The dragon hisses at the comment yet says nothing. Anton nods to himself in satisfaction. He knows that what he’s said is true. Dragons have never been known to breathe ice, or any kind of water. Fire, brimstone, those are a normal breath weapon. For ice to be appearing, Nolan must be an almost ancient creature, close to its deathbed.

“I’d heard there was a noble knight left in the land and I wanted a battle with said knight. Are you that knight or are you a simple mouse, too puny to bother playing with?”

Anton’s head snaps up at the insinuation that he was a coward. He might not have full body armor but he’d still go down fighting even if the dragon was as old as the hills.

“Puny human, your armor is almost as bad as mine. I shall give you one chance to leave. Then, we fight.”

“Bring it on, Nolan. Knights don’t run from dragons. We live to tell the tale.”

Tony looks up at the group in the room. “Hey I’m not that bad.”

The only comment comes from an intent four year old.

“Hush, Daddy, I’m listening to the story.” There’s muffled laughter from around the room and Tim continues his narration.

Anton draws his long sword out of its sheath, while he searches for a weakness in Nolan’s armor. The dragon will be difficult to kill even if it is old.

“Sounds like you Gibbs.” Tony’s quip earns him yet another glare from his son. Not to mention the look of retribution from his boss. Head smack might be a mild term by the time Gibbs gets through with him.

Nolan tries to gain an advantage by flying away, but due to the amount of wood he’d created, he’d boxed himself in with no way to spread his wings and leave. Anton scrambles up the nearest wood pile and with his traditional battle cry whacks Nolan across the snout.

“Hey, now what is all that about?” Tony’s question is fair and answered by Ziva of all people.

“He is what did they call it counting coup?”

Tim nods and continues.

Nolan is startled by the pain and rears his head back. That gives Anton the edge he needs to thrust his sword into the soft flesh around the dragon’s heart, killing it almost instantly. Nolan collapses and breathes one last time. As he does so, he looks at Anton and says, “Thank You.”

Anton pauses for breath then heads back inside the castle. He strides up to King Jed and tells him that the dragon is dead. King Jed, Abdiel and Jamie all run out to verify the knight’s story. Anton lags behind, still a little winded from the impromptu battle.

The dragon’s cooling body is sprawled in the courtyard, dull blue scales becoming even duller as death finishes working its way through the massive body. King Jed motions for the other three to grab what they can from the dragon’s body for supplies. Anton reluctantly pulls several scales from the sides and smaller ones from the legs. Abdiel and Jamie pull the dragon’s claws and teeth to make potions and powders.

“Uncle Tim, why did they take the claws and teeth?”

Tim doesn’t hesitate to explain. “In a lot of early societies, they honored the dead animals by using what they could. As the dragon is so old, they couldn’t use the dragon for meat, but they could use the rest of him for magic potions or herbal medicines.”

Once they’re all finished, Jed motions for several serfs to gather what they can of the firewood and bring it inside. There is still a nice pile left when they are done and Anton tells King Jed that he’d like to leave it there so that it can be used to burn what’s left of Nolan. Jed shakes his head no. The dragon is too close to the castle and embers could blow in the wind setting some of the buildings on fire.

Anton nods as he tries to figure out how to get the dragon away from the castle. When decay sets in it could release an odor that will permeate the castle walls. Jamie and Abdiel tell him that there is the wagon that could be used for transport if he chooses to use it. Anton agrees and the three of them, working with several of the castle guards get the dragon’s body lifted enough so that it can be dragged off towards an empty field.

Two trips are made: one taking the dragon and the other bringing out the wood for the funeral pyre. The fire burns for the better part of a week. Anton goes to the field when the fire burns out and finds nothing but ashes. He says a small prayer for the dragon and goes back to the castle to finish polishing and shaping his armor.

Donny yawns and hugs his Uncle Tim. “Thank you Uncle Tim. It was a good story.”

“You’re welcome, Donny.” The little body gets slightly heavy as sleep threatens to take over.

“Uncle Tim, could you tell me another story tomorrow?”

End ???

Dragon – Vance (Leon)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 am 
Senior Field Agent

This is the second version of what happened between Anton and the dragon...and on ffnet, it was the preferred version.

Chapter 5:

When Anton steps out into the courtyard, the first thing he notices is the stillness. There’s no wind or breeze of any kind. There are no birds chirping or animal sounds at all. As he steps further from the castle and deeper into the courtyard, a soft whoosh makes him look up.

The dragon is hovering about ten feet above him. From this vantage point, Anton could easily nock an arrow and hit the beast yet something prevents him. The dragon dips a wing, indicating for Anton to follow it. When he nods in acceptance, the dragon flies toward the forest, landing just outside the forest entrance.

“Forgive me, Sir Knight, I wanted to make sure that no more innocents were injured. My name is Thym and I need your assistance.”

Anton blinks in surprise. He’s never had an adversary ask for help before. Puzzled green eyes look up into sorrowful green eyes. The dragon Thym nods and proceeds to tell Anton his story.

“Several centuries ago, I was flying over an enchanted land and roused the ire of a mage. He has cursed me to live alone, never finding a mate, never being able to find someone to love. Over the course of time, my body has been changing, I no longer breathe fire, and when I do breathe, it comes out like a stream of ice. For that I wanted to apologize to your king and kingdom. I never intended to hurt anyone.”

“Why are you telling me this? Is there no cure?”

“Not that anyone has been able to discover. We have no female dragons, therefore, I cannot procreate. I cannot find a mate. I was hoping to maybe find a friend or comrade. I wanted to ask you or maybe your king if he knew of anyone that might be willing to travel with me, and see new places.”

Tim glances down and sees Donny asleep once more. He looks up at the adults in the room. Gibbs offers silently to take the sleeping child. Tim shakes his head. He likes the feel of his nephew in his arms and relishes the moments of time that he gets to spend with him. Ziva asks him if he’ll continue the story. He looks over at her in surprise.

“Please Tim.”

“Yeah, Probie, you can’t leave us hanging there.”

“It’s a good story McGee. Please, tell us how it ends.” It’s the praise from Gibbs that finally convinces him to keep going.

Anton thinks about what Thym has told him and tells him that he needs to confer with the king.

“I can meet you back here tomorrow morning. I should have the king’s response by dawn.”

The dragon nods, his head drooping wearily as if some weight is holding it.

“Thym, may I ask you something?”

“Yes.”

“What did you do to upset the mage?”

“I existed.”

With that, the dragon flies towards the closest mountain range. Anton trudges back to the castle contemplating all that he’s learned. Once inside the castle walls, he heads straight for the throne room.

“King Jed, I bring news. Before I relay my story, would it be possible to have Abdiel and Jamie here?”

The king nods and motions for a page to retrieve the other two men. Once everyone is in the same room Anton relates what the dragon has told him. Jamie looks at Abdiel who is frowning in concentration. Jamie then looks over at Anton and asks him why he’d asked to have them there.

“I don’t really know. I just know that I needed to get you guys involved with this too. You are the only ones I know that might have some knowledge as to what he was referring to when he said that he was cursed just because he existed.”

The silence in the living room is only broken up by Tim’s voice as he continues with the story. By telling the story this way, his friends and family are seeing for the first time in weeks, maybe even months just how lonely Tim really is. Abby tilts her head up to Gibbs and kisses his chin. Jimmy tightens his arms around Ziva and Tony holds Sarah tighter too. Of them all, he’s the one still unattached to anyone. The boyish face is showing signs of weariness that’s not due to the job.

Jamie whispers something to Abdiel who nods and tells King Jed that the two need to look at some scrolls to see if their suspicions are correct. Jed waits until they’re gone to face his loyal knight.

“You want to go with him?”

The question was more of a statement, and Anton nods slowly. The battles of yesteryear are gone. King Jed’s kingdom is safe from harm and Anton is tired of battle. The prospect of traveling to another kingdom would be daunting if he had to walk, but to be able to fly with the dragon…that could be for some good times indeed.

Abdiel and Jamie come back in chattering excitedly and holding two scrolls.

“Anton did the dragon tell you his name?”

“Yes, he said I could call him Thym. Why what have you discovered?”

Abdiel twirls around with excitement and bounces forth. “He’s the last dragon. The last living breathing dragon. He’s gotta be close to 500 years old.”

“He did say he had been cursed several centuries ago. What did he mean by the fact that the mage cursed him just for existing?”

Jamie rolls out the scroll he’s carrying and they can see the story unfold. The mage’s family had been killed by a renegade dragon. Thym and several others managed to bring the perpetrator to justice but not before the curse had been laid.

“Thym wasn’t the only one cursed. All the dragons were. It's why there were so few dragons. They couldn’t have clutches anymore. The mage basically made it so the females died off first. The males, having longer life spans are almost extinct as well.”

Tony looks down at Sarah who has tears running down her cheeks. Tim is the last male of the McGee family. The only one not married or involved with someone. He squeezes his wife’s hand reassuringly, letting her know that he’ll talk to Tim. Try to convince him that all hope is not lost. After all Tony’d just gotten married 4 years ago and Tim is a few years younger than Tony.

King Jed runs a hand over his chin as he debates his answer. He knows that he’s going to let Anton go with the dragon. He’s just not sure about the dragon. He stands up, and strides to the doors.

“Stay put.” He growls to the room at large and heads outside. Anton runs after him, he’d forgotten to tell his liege that the dragon would be back in the morning.

“Your majesty. The dragon, he’ll be back at dawn. I asked him for this time to get answers for all of us.”

Ice blue eyes stare into emerald green ones. The stark honesty prompts Jed to smack the back of the knight’s head. Anton rubs his hand over the spot knowing without asking that it is Jed’s way of saying “you should have said something.”

Anton just nods and leads the way back into the throne room. Abdiel and Jamie are still there, talking over strategy for dealing with a man-eating, ice-breathing dragon. Anton listens for ten seconds before butting in.

“He’s not that bad. He didn’t mean to hurt Zavad. He’s lonely and doesn’t know how to turn off the ice breathing.”

Abdiel turns to stare at him, “Geez, Anton, you almost sound like you’re in love with him.”

Anton sighs in exasperation. “No, I’m not, I just…”

“You relate to him. Okay, Abs, Jamie, let's figure out what we can do to help an ice breathing dragon breath fire again.” Jed’s gaze drifts on his two advisors before resting on his knight.

“You have my permission to talk to him and bring him in to talk to us. Between all four of us I’m sure we can figure out how to help him.”

Anton brightens visibly at being able to bring the dragon in, and then thinks for a moment. “Hey is there any reason for his scales to be so dull?”

“If he’s lonely, it’s possible that he’s depressed and it’s discoloring his scales.” Abdiel offers the explanation while discussing with Jamie why fire becomes ice. Jamie looks up at Anton.

“We can try just talking to him and see if anything happens while he’s in our company. He might brighten up for a while.”

Anton nods and looks at his liege. King Jed nods and Anton leaves to find Thym. The dragon is still waiting for him by the forest. The knight rustles leaves so that he doesn’t startle the beast.

“Sir Anton, you’ve returned a bit early.”

“My king would like to talk to you and discuss my traveling with you.”

Even in the deepening twilight, Anton can see the slight brightening of Thym’s scales. Thym hunches down and asks Anton if he’d like to ride back to the castle. Anton nods and gently climbs aboard. Thym tells Anton to grab hold just under the left scale, and flies towards the castle.

King Jed is waiting when they arrive and Anton dismounts rather clumsily. Thym tilts his head to make sure the knight is all right before bowing his head to King Jed.

“Your Majesty, this is Thym. Thym this is His Royal Majesty King Jed. The brunette with the dark eyes and long hair is Abdiel and the shorter haired fellow is Jamie.”

“How is the young one, I believe you said his name is Zavad?” Thym’s question brings a surprised smile to the other faces. Jamie reassures the dragon that the squire is alive and well, and thawing without much incident. The relief the dragon feels is almost palpable as the sigh is seen going through the massive body.

Abdiel comes over and asks Thym to confirm their suspicion that he is the last of the dragons, and that he was there when the renegade killed the mage's family. Thym nods in answer to all their questions. The castle fires are lit for the evening and King Jed declares that it’s time for the evening meal. Anton tells Thym that he’ll meet him in the courtyard at dawn, to see if there are new revelations. The dragon bows his head in temporary sorrow, then raises it again as he realizes he’s invited back the next day.

The revelation there, how much Tim enjoys being in their company, how it brightens his day to spend time with them, makes the others realize just how much they mean to him.

The morning dawns and Thym is back in the courtyard. He’d taken the time to eat before entering the castle grounds, not wanting to disturb anyone with his messy way of eating. Anton had been in the stables and comes out when he hears the whoosh of Thym’s wings. The dragon bows his head at the knight’s presence and nudges him lightly with his head, just like an overgrown horse might.

Anton yells for Abdiel and Jamie, who come stumbling out of the castle with a bucket held between them. King Jed is right behind them, holding a small lit torch. Anton looks at Thym and tells him that they’ve come up with a way to ignite the fire inside. Thym gazes fearfully at the flame, but Anton tells him to listen to him.

“Hey, big guy, we’ve worked all night and our two mega brains here figured out that the fire rock you used to consume is gone. They managed to create something similar to it. All you have to do is trust us not to hurt you. Can you do that?”

Thym’s green eyes meet Anton’s equally green eyes. Trust for the dragon comes easily, something that he was often ridiculed for. Trust for the knight comes rarely, yet he’s asking this beast, this creature that he used to hunt to trust him. Thym nods his head and listens to what Abdiel and Jamie are telling him.

“Basically, we need you to drink this and then, either King Jed or Anton will follow that up with the torch.”

Trust is such a key word in their work and no one has more trust in them than Tim McGee. Tony looks at Sarah and his sleeping son and realizes just how much trust Tim has in him, especially with his family. Gibbs knows that Tim won’t follow him blindly, but he will trust him whenever the situation warrants it. As for Abby, the story is showing that the trust he once had is waning, and she’ll have to work to regain it. Ziva knows that Tim trusts her, maybe not to the degree as Tony and Gibbs, but it’s enough for now.

Thym looks at the others in horror, then at Anton. The knight puts a hand on Thym’s wing. “It’s the only way, we know, other than dousing you in the stuff and setting fire to you. We, they, think that your fire center just needs a jump start. And this could do it.”

Thym thinks it over and slowly nods his head. He’ll trust Anton to know what is best for him. The others he’s not too sure about, but he trusts the knight and relaxes his body. He leans forward and sniffs the bucket’s contents. The smell alone almost makes him rebel, but he’d promised the knight that he’d trust him. He takes a giant breath and in doing so swallows the potion. Not giving him time to think, Anton grabs the torch and stuffs it in Thym’s mouth.

It’s all Thym can do not to bite down and sever Anton’s arm. As it is the knight is thrown backward into the other three when Thym tosses his head up at the burning in his mouth and throat. He takes three steps backwards and flies off not wanting to hurt his friend.

Two hours pass and Anton is worried. The dragon put his trust in them but to what end? A soft roar is heard and he looks up into the sky. A bright blue blur is heading straight towards him and he realizes that the blur is Thym. The potion appears to be working. Anton steps back a few paces and waits for the dragon to land. When he does so the knight strides towards him and the dragon kneels down so that the knight can climb on. Anton rubs the beast between his ears and the dragon groans his appreciation.

“Did it work?” For an answer Thym flies towards a hay bale and sends out a stream of fire. Anton pats Thym on the shoulder and tells him that he needs to tell the others of their success before he leaves. Thym agrees and lands once again. Anton dismounts and runs into the great hall, stopping only to bow to his king. He tells him of the success and that the dragon is ready to take flight.

Jed steps out of the castle and over to the dragon who again bows in allegiance to the king. “You’ll take care of him? He is after all, my top knight.”

“Aye Your Majesty, your man is safe with me. I promise to bring him back in two weeks time. That should help us figure out if we can survive without killing each other.”

Jed smiles at the thought of these two friends doing battle against the other and shakes his head. Mock battle he could see, not a real one. He nods his acceptance to Anton and tells Thym, “You’ll do.”

Thym nods at the trust the king has placed in him. The king trusts him to keep the knight safe for the next two weeks, and possibly longer. He turns to face Abdiel and Jamie. “Thank you for helping me. I’ll let you know if we need to create the mixture again.”

Thym figures that the next two weeks should also indicate if he’ll need to find something else to use to keep the fire burning, so that he doesn’t have to resort to the ice breathing again. He knows that Anton can help him track this and that is yet another reason he is glad to have the knight around. He looks for his passenger, who is gathering a small pouch of supplies and they take off towards the distance mountain. As they fly out of site, King Jed, Abdiel and Jamie all hear, “I’m on top of the world!”

Tony stares at Tim who is grinning as he finishes the story. “You put a movie quote into the story! Titanic no less, Probie I’m impressed.”

Sarah stands up and goes over to kiss her brother on the cheek. “You should print this one Tim. Put together a bunch of short stories for the kids that Tony and I are going to have.”

Tim smiles at her and stands up to leave. Before he can, Tony stands up and gives him a loose hug. “So, are you coming over to tell my son another story tomorrow?”

“I might be coming over to tell your daughter one, too.” With that, Tim exits the building leaving a laughing sister and five stunned adults behind him.

End – at least for this story…heheheh

Tim’s characters

King Jed -- Gibbs
Knight Anton – Tony
Zavad -- Ziva
Abdiel – Abby
Jamie – Jimmy
Nolan – Leon
Thym – Tim